Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 19:04   #1

Boat: Aquarius 23' and a 17' Kit bass boat
Aero the water bottle that pulls moisture out of the air

Anyone hear about it? Runs on solar and it appears it may be on the market soon. They say could fill a 20 oz bottle it looks like in a hour in a humid climate.

This self-filling water bottle is the ultimate in vaporware
mynameismud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 19:45   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Aero the water bottle that pulls moisture out of the air

These posts:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-164314.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-160164.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ir-136305.html

I want a couple when it's available.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 20:15   #3

Darn, I just bought a watermaker!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 20:37   #4

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

So essentially a dehumidifier? A while back I wondered about using water from my home dehumidifier for drinking, giving to pets, replenishing fish tank water, and gardening... A bit of Google searching reveals lots of articles on the topic, like this one:

Ask Umbra: Can I reuse the water from my dehumidifier? | Grist

Simple answer is, no, we shouldn't drink water from our dehumidifiers. Several reasons are given... all of which would be challenges the makers of this device would need to overcome. Not saying they can't do it... just that those things will have to be taken into consideration.

And, hey, if it works, great! I'd love to dehumidify the interior of my boat while generating drinking water
Old 17-04-2016, 21:30   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by american View Post
So essentially a dehumidifier? A while back I wondered about using water from my home dehumidifier for drinking, giving to pets, replenishing fish tank water, and gardening... A bit of Google searching reveals lots of articles on the topic, like this one:

Ask Umbra: Can I reuse the water from my dehumidifier? | Grist

Simple answer is, no, we shouldn't drink water from our dehumidifiers. Several reasons are given... all of which would be challenges the makers of this device would need to overcome. Not saying they can't do it... just that those things will have to be taken into consideration.

And, hey, if it works, great! I'd love to dehumidify the interior of my boat while generating drinking water

I don't see where any of the risks in that article are relevant to the waterbottle. (It's not the water that's the problem, it is the way it is collected: metals leaching from the coils and contamination in the run-off collector. Personally I find the first concern very dubious).

The biggie is that it is only capable of producing survival level quantities of water.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 21:40   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I have a small peltier effect dehumidifier on my boat. The water that comes out of it looks pretty clean. I'd prefer to filter it before I drank it but if it was my only source of fresh water, sure I'd drink it.

I don't know how much it produces because I've rigged it to drain continuously into the sink. I doubt it's half a liter per hour.

That Peltier Effect is pretty interesting. Did you know you can reverse it and generate electricity directly from heat with no moving parts? It's not very efficient but it does work.
Old 17-04-2016, 21:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Survival Or battery water.
Old 18-04-2016, 09:40   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post
Anyone hear about it? Runs on solar and it appears it may be on the market soon. They say could fill a 20 oz bottle it looks like in a hour in a humid climate.

This self-filling water bottle is the ultimate in vaporware
Hi I found this on web after simple search: "Self-filling" biking bottle pulls water out of thin air : TreeHugger

It would be useful on our yachts when customized for that purpose. I can imagine such a system producing more than the 1/2 liter per hour which it does with the bike design.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 09:54   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I don't see where any of the risks in that article are relevant to the waterbottle. (It's not the water that's the problem, it is the way it is collected: metals leaching from the coils and contamination in the run-off collector. Personally I find the first concern very dubious).

The biggie is that it is only capable of producing survival level quantities of water.
I about agree with you. The metal contaminates sounds like an non issue if stainless were used in place of cooper soldered tubing If made such that you could get at the guts for periotic PM should address the concern about microbes. Or possibly pumping the water through a microbial filter and/or passing the air through an ionizer. I wonder if it isn't the lack of market in the developed countries which would be the target market that could afford it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 10:09   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Condensing water out of the air is quite doable (In humid climates) and with proper design its safe enough. But.... The energy required to condense that water is quite high for the quantity of water produced. Also if the air is not filtered (that proper design thingy), dust and other "stuff" will be trapped in the water as it condenses.

For the fellow with the water maker, Water Makers still gives the best performance and lower overall energy usage, by quite a bit.

I'm waiting for graphene water filters which should drop the cost of filtering fresh water from sea water by an order of magnitude or so.

For Hopcar: Nasa used a plutonium thermo-pile to make heat that is converted to electricity via Peltier Effect/thermocouple. The Delta T of 800 degrees made it work well. A bit pricey and low overall efficiency, but no moving parts.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 10:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Condensing water out of the air is quite doable (In humid climates) and with proper design its safe enough. But.... The energy required to condense that water is quite high for the quantity of water produced. Also if the air is not filtered (that proper design thingy), dust and other "stuff" will be trapped in the water as it condenses.

For the fellow with the water maker, Water Makers still gives the best performance and lower overall energy usage, by quite a bit.

I'm waiting for graphene water filters which should drop the cost of filtering fresh water from sea water by an order of magnitude or so.

For Hopcar: Nasa used a plutonium thermo-pile to make heat that is converted to electricity via Peltier Effect/thermocouple. The Delta T of 800 degrees made it work well. A bit pricey and low overall efficiency, but no moving parts.
I heck! They won't sell me plutonium at Lowes I will try Ace Hardware.
Old 18-04-2016, 13:35   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Sailorchic, They learned that trick from my Junior High Science Fair Project.
I used some copper wire, some iron wire and a Bunsen Burner to make a flashlight bulb glow. They just substituted Plutonium for my Bunsen burner!

Given the number of rockets that explode in the atmosphere, I wonder if it's really smart to be launching Plutonium?

I looked up my dehumidifier that is about the size of a loaf of bread. It is rated at about 8 oz. per day. That's enough to drop the humidity in my little cabin from about 80% to just over 60%. I have my doubts about a solar powered bicycle water bottle making 1/2 liter per hour. If it does, it would be a great thing to have in a life raft.
Old 18-04-2016, 14:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Sailorchic, They learned that trick from my Junior High Science Fair Project.
I used some copper wire, some iron wire and a Bunsen Burner to make a flashlight bulb glow. They just substituted Plutonium for my Bunsen burner!

Given the number of rockets that explode in the atmosphere, I wonder if it's really smart to be launching Plutonium?

I looked up my dehumidifier that is about the size of a loaf of bread. It is rated at about 8 oz. per day. That's enough to drop the humidity in my little cabin from about 80% to just over 60%. I have my doubts about a solar powered bicycle water bottle making 1/2 liter per hour. If it does, it would be a great thing to have in a life raft.
My thought exactly on the quantity and the life raft. If it made 1/2 liter pre day, that would be a life saver.
Old 18-04-2016, 16:36   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

[QUOTE=HopCar;2100364
.[/QUOTE]

I do believe they breath a sigh of relief every time one clears orbit. Mars Curiosity rover was the last to launch
Mars Curiosity
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 18:09   #15

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

the article about the bicycle bottle didn't mention any energy source at all. it sounded like it was zero human produced energy to give you a half liter of water in an hour.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water