Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-04-2014, 07:53   #16

Boat: 38' French Cat
Re: Advice on sailing Marco Island to Miami

A 50' stick sounds awful low for a 40 Sabre.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 17-04-2014, 07:55   #17

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Yup always someone on each thread,,, anyways I'd plan for 3-4 days stopping each night. Guessing you motor 5-6 knots you can leave marco go around Romano shoals, bee line it to shark river entry anchor there.50 miles or so. Follow the edge of the boundary on the inside for the everglades you should have enough water, and there are no traps. Go straight to 7 mile bridge. Anchor outside boot key or go in and grab a mooring. Next day head offshore do an overnight and your in Miami. Or take two days pushing it, leave early anchor one night Tavernier key the next should get you to where you are going.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
This is a good itinerary.

As an alternative, you can save ~20nm if you bypass Marathon and head for Channel 5 from Little Shark. Leave LS and round the cape, then head for 24 46.74N x 081 00.50W. This will put in the ICW, motor to Channel 5 bridge (be sure to stay in the ICW channel, there are some shallows spots). If you are able to make Rodriquez from LS (~77nm) it would set you up for an easy next day.

As you round the cape inside the National Park, pay attention to the charted park markers, it's been reported some have rusted off at the waterline creating a huge hazard. Give them plenty of room whether you see them or not.

So, Marco to Little Shark, Little Shark to Rodriquez, Rodriquez to Miami, all daylight passages.

Old 17-04-2014, 08:35   #18

Boat: Catana 471

Thanks for your detailed knowledge of the bridges and harbours discussed DotDun. With regards to the Sister Creek entrance with no wires at Boot key harbour...I recall looking at that channel years ago when we were down past that way.
Is it a viable channel for bigger Cats to enter and is Boot Key harbour viable for bigger cats with the existing crowds,mooring restrictions,local rules etc?
My Beam 25.3',air drft 71.5', draft 44"

Bob
Old 17-04-2014, 08:58   #19

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
Thanks for your detailed knowledge of the bridges and harbours discussed DotDun. With regards to the Sister Creek entrance with no wires at Boot key harbour...I recall looking at that channel years ago when we were down past that way.
Is it a viable channel for bigger Cats to enter and is Boot Key harbour viable for bigger cats with the existing crowds,mooring restrictions,local rules etc?
My Beam 25.3',air drft 71.5', draft 44"

Bob
Sister Creek is shallow at the ocean side entrance, I always like a mid-to-high tide when entering. Your draft is fine, mine is 51", I've been thru there at +.5' tide. You'll have spots with 1.5' under the keel. If you lose electronics going past the big radio towers, don't worry, they'll come back in a few minutes. Those towers are putting out high power - US propaganda aimed at Cuba. The high RF power will mess with your on-board electronics, but no permanent damage.

Boot Key Harbor mooring field has 226 mooring balls, 15 of them for up to 60', all the rest are for 45' or less. Your beam won't be a problem. It's worth a visit.

Anchorage, Mooring, Dockage, and Dinghy Info | City of Marathon Official Website
Old 17-04-2014, 09:27   #20

Boat: Catana 471

Good Info to know for a potential future visit...We tied up at a dock just before the telephone wires for a passing overnight stop and never really saw Marathon or Boot Key Harbour. Thanks again

Bob

Tags
arc, miami, sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: