Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 09:18   #61
Marine Service Provider

Re: Advice for starting a delivery boat business

Roger that Fish53...I preferred getting two thousand a day (sometimes $4.000 on overtime) flying airplanes but at age 60 (fifteen years ago) the FAA said I was too old and too stupid to fly airplanes so, having been on boats since the age of twelve (and owning a couple), I enrolled in a USCG approved school and got masters ticket. In school they asked me "what are you going to do with it." I said "I don't know, hang it on the wall? Up for my third renewal this year. Which proves that the FAA was right...too old...to stupid.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 09:30   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice for starting a delivery boat business

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Roger that Fish53...I preferred getting two thousand a day (sometimes $4.000 on overtime) flying airplanes but at age 60 (fifteen years ago) the FAA said I was too old and too stupid to fly airplanes so, having been on boats since the age of twelve (and owning a couple), I enrolled in a USCG approved school and got masters ticket. In school they asked me "what are you going to do with it." I said "I don't know, hang it on the wall? Up for my third renewal this year. Which proves that the FAA was right...too old...to stupid.
Hey.. Look on the bright side.. its only a couple of metres before you crash in the water..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 08:04   #63

Boat: Tartan 37C

Good morning, I am about to retire from 35 years as an attorney and intend to do the same thing here in the tri state area. Have you come to any conclusions?
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 07:43   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Question

When you start a delivery, assume 1 week along the US east coast on a sailboat, how much time to you spend checking the condition of the boat, sails, engine etc?
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 07:53   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
Question

When you start a delivery, assume 1 week along the US east coast on a sailboat, how much time to you spend checking the condition of the boat, sails, engine etc?
I can answer for powerboats only ... part of my contract is one half day to examine vessel.
Old 17-01-2019, 08:34   #66

I can offer a few words here, as I enter my 50th year this year as a professional delivery skipper and on-passage tutor. I have skippers professional indemnity, but the skipper should always be placed on the yacht hull insurance for the passage being undertaken.

A reputation has to be built up, especially where owners/agents will come back to you for repeat business. Look at the short deliveries as well as the odd ones. Confidentiality is very important. Remember who your client is and what is his/her standing in the wider things of the world. Be flexible when having to work to the client's budget - greater things come from that, when they pass your name on to someone else.

Deliveries are just one aspect of a nautical life, I built up a reputation for writing detailed passage plans, routing and meteorology to many mariners when communications to them at sea was difficult. I've taken a handful of yachts through the eye of a rogue Cat. 5 hurricane - the proof is that two governments presented me with a gold medal for it - no damage and no injuries. It all comes down to how you deal with it in real time.

What you charge is between you and your client. Take both legal and fiscal advice. There is a legal precedent, under contract law, to be paid before you leave home.

Fair winds!
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 08:38   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

How far are you going? 50 miles up/down the coast? Then the inspection is nominal. If I am going a few hundred miles- even coastal, it gets detailed. Long runs like NC to the Keys, is the same as offshore, it is extensive.

Generally, I require a copy of the survey. Unfortunately, some of the surveys are useless. And as I previously posted some of the repairs cause other problems. Had a mast step redone as required by the survey. When I got there I spent a few hours rewiring the lighting before I could depart.

While I am yet to exercise the clause, my contract allows me to walk away from a vessel that is unsafe for the intended passage.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 06:25   #68
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoema View Post
I can offer a few words here, as I enter my 50th year this year as a professional delivery skipper and on-passage tutor. I have skippers professional indemnity, but the skipper should always be placed on the yacht hull insurance for the passage being undertaken.

A reputation has to be built up, especially where owners/agents will come back to you for repeat business. Look at the short deliveries as well as the odd ones. Confidentiality is very important. Remember who your client is and what is his/her standing in the wider things of the world. Be flexible when having to work to the client's budget - greater things come from that, when they pass your name on to someone else.

Deliveries are just one aspect of a nautical life, I built up a reputation for writing detailed passage plans, routing and meteorology to many mariners when communications to them at sea was difficult. I've taken a handful of yachts through the eye of a rogue Cat. 5 hurricane - the proof is that two governments presented me with a gold medal for it - no damage and no injuries. It all comes down to how you deal with it in real time.

What you charge is between you and your client. Take both legal and fiscal advice. There is a legal precedent, under contract law, to be paid before you leave home.

Fair winds!
Thank you for your advice
Old 18-01-2019, 07:00   #69
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
How far are you going? 50 miles up/down the coast? Then the inspection is nominal. If I am going a few hundred miles- even coastal, it gets detailed. Long runs like NC to the Keys, is the same as offshore, it is extensive.

Generally, I require a copy of the survey. Unfortunately, some of the surveys are useless. And as I previously posted some of the repairs cause other problems. Had a mast step redone as required by the survey. When I got there I spent a few hours rewiring the lighting before I could depart.

While I am yet to exercise the clause, my contract allows me to walk away from a vessel that is unsafe for the intended passage.
Sounds like an opportunity to charge the customer for doing this kind of repair.
Old 18-01-2019, 07:24   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice for starting a delivery boat business

When I first started I worked on the honour code..
Pay my travel costs to the boat, at the end of the trip I presented all receipts and these were then settled along with my fee.
However one arduous 7mth and 17,000nm trip put an end to that when after near emptying my meager bank account the owner refused to pay me leaving me stranded in Perth.. lucky for me CF members rallied round and came to my aid.
Since then I've created a contract which sets an advance of a return flight to the boat plus 50% of my fee paid into my account before I fly..
This covers me in case the boat is unsafe and I return home.. the fee is then returned by me minus however many days I was travelling to and fro plus time spent checking the boat and any accomodation.
Once spent a crap 10days sitting in a New Jersey motel waiting for an owner to show with their boat before I got fed up and flew home.. seems she was having a good time with some guy on the ICW and I was expected to just hang around.. In New Jersey.???
Oriental.. No problems.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 08:33   #71
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Sounds like an opportunity to charge the customer for doing this kind of repair.
You could. Some do. But most of my customers are not wealthy. Most of my deliveries are over 15 years old. Many have already gotten the "short end" from a marginal survey and shoddy repairs. Why should I add to their misery? Then again, most give me a very nice gratuity ABOVE my invoice at the end of the trip.

For the record-- customers pay my at "sea rate" for repairs at the dock.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 18-01-2019, 08:35   #72

Hate to burst you bubble, but a USCG MMD is not required for yacht deliveries nor instructing owners on their own vessels. Teaching technics and a syllabus are. Good luck on your LLC.
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 08:36   #73
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
... ...

contract which sets an advance of a return flight to the boat plus 50% of my fee paid into my account before I fly..

This covers me in case the boat is unsafe and I return home.. the fee is then returned by me minus however many days I was traveling to and fro plus time spent checking the boat and any accommodation.
... ....
Ditto. So far I have not had to exercise that clause.
Old 18-01-2019, 08:39   #74
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
You could. Some do. But most of my customers are not wealthy. Most of my deliveries are over 15 years old. Many have already gotten the "short end" from a marginal survey and shoddy repairs. Why should I add to their misery? Then again, most give me a very nice gratuity ABOVE my invoice at the end of the trip.

For the record-- customers pay my at "sea rate" for repairs at the dock.
Good, you are getting paid for the work.
Old 18-01-2019, 10:37   #75
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Good, you are getting paid for the work.

Yes but at well below the hourly market rate for a marine mechanic!

Once again, I see this as helping out my customers. I could easily say that the boat does not meet USCG requirements and walk away. Same for missing flares, etc. I use my WestMarine Pro account and buy them- passing my cost through to the customer.

I am one of those weirdos who is not looking to maximize my profits.

Tags
boat, delivery