Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2016, 07:28   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Adventure Yachts brokerage experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipasgas1 View Post
My apparent mistake was trusting that our oral agreement would override the written contract. In my day, a verbal agreement was as solid as a written. Naïve? perhaps. Still prefer to believe that most people are good and trustworthy? Yes, but less everyday...sadly. As a Christian, I have no problem with folks quoting religion on their websites...unless they do so only in hopes of enticing others into believing they are good, honest and trustworthy. How exactly does one "blacklist"?

"In my day, a verbal agreement was as solid as a written. Naïve? perhaps".
I'm sorry...this is a useless excuse. You imply that you have been around for awhile. If that's the case, you have read in the news papers, internet and on TV, people getting taking on "verbal contract".
'Back in your day' did they blacklist people because they got taken? You can't have it both ways.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 08:17   #17

I'm sorry if I've struck a nerve, Celestial...I'm sure you are a better person for not trusting anyone. Unfortunately, there are many people out there, like myself, who tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. Luckily, you are smarter than we and nothing will ever happen to you so kudos. Your opinion is that people who get taken deserve it and the folks who do the taking are free to continue and should not get blacklisted? That makes sense...If that is the case, it would appear your world is going along just fine because I got ended up paying and deserved it...someone else got paid and whether it was ethical or unethical, they deserved it. I hope your mother doesn't get scammed, you will be of no support whatsoever. Just tell her it was her fault and she deserved it because she can read and watch TV and should know better. As a matter of fact, look at all these idiots who got scammed by Madoff...what a bunch of uneducated idiots. By your analogy, they deserved it and Madoff should not be in jail... you're a genius!! Thanks for your valuable input...
ipasgas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 08:46   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I think Celestial was kidding about the religious part, If it's true and he is not a licensed broker I would take him to small!claims court for fraud. It won't cost you much and may be worth while. If not at least I would post your unfortunate event on every sailing forum out there, and craigslist under boats, and keep doing it.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 09:13   #19

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Seems like I'm posting these words every day now....sad.

Contact the Better Business Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce where he does business. See how many other complaints there are. Lodge your complaint (keep it businesslike). BBB contacts the business and gives them a chance to refute. Based on number of complaints and their substantiation they will then give a rating to the business (used to be stars or a range of recommendation). Many people use this site to choose BEFORE transacting any business.

IMHO you should always look up unknown businesses prior to signing anything with a stranger.....just saying.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 09:15   #20
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to PippiGypsy

I am sorry to hear of your situation. I actually work as a Broker with POP Yachts. We allow our Sellers to continue to not only Sell FSBO but also use the boat and we update hours.
The ONLY TIME I would be privvy to part of your sale price is if the Buyer had come thru me initially. Otherwise it's your Buyer. But that's just how we work at POP Yachts.

If you can prove the Broker did not bring forth that Buyer you should not owe him.
Sorry for this issue. Regards, Pia Louise
PippiGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 09:30   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
Cris Castles is not a licensed yacht broker in Florida
I know nothing about him but it took me 30 seconds to find the below.

Yacht and Ship Salesperson or Broker

CASTLES, CRISTOPHER Primary EBK2871

Employing Brkr
Current 10/30/2016

License Location Address*:
1000 W MCNAB ROAD STE 143 POMPANO BEACH, FL 33069
Main Address*:
1000 W MCNAB ROAD STE 143 POMPANO BEACH, FL 33069
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 09:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippiGypsy View Post

If you can prove the Broker did not bring forth that Buyer you should not owe him.
He signed a central listing.

Foolish? Sure.

Binding? Yep.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 09:48   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Personally, I don't believe your story. In any case, unless you were just born yesterday you would know that you can't sell a boat or house outside of the contract without incurring a commission from the broker.
I'm with you. I think it was nice of the broker to reduce the amount he would take.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 09:55   #24

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipasgas1 View Post
My apparent mistake was trusting that our oral agreement would override the written contract. In my day, a verbal agreement was as solid as a written. Naïve? perhaps. Still prefer to believe that most people are good and trustworthy? Yes, but less everyday...sadly. As a Christian, I have no problem with folks quoting religion on their websites...unless they do so only in hopes of enticing others into believing they are good, honest and trustworthy. How exactly does one "blacklist"?
perhaps you've experienced otherwise but i've never seen a contract that doesn't have a statement saying something along the lines of 'this is the entire agreement and nothing written or said outside this agreement is valid.' not a lawyer so don't take the words as exact but i find it hard to believe that you would simply ignore the statement before signing the contract. striking through it and initials by both parties would have been a simple matter. if the broker hasn't acknowledged your so called, 'verbal agreement' by now he'll hardly acknowledge it in small claims court where it seems to me he's sure to win a judgement for the five large. pay the 2.5 k and thank him for the gift of learning or risk his lien on your boat.

as you say you are a christian i'm thinking the christian thing to do is to follow through on your word, no? your word is your bond? that kinda thing? well, is it? you gave your word and did so in writing, did you not? and now you're asking a bunch of sailors how best to break your word???
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 09:58   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippiGypsy View Post

you're kidding me right??? please say you're kidding me.
Old 23-07-2016, 10:02   #26

Boat: Boatless

I was a broker in Florida long ago. Still have many friends in the industry.

First you should have read the contract and written down your verbal agreement as an addendum. "Broker agree to no commission due if seller secures a buyer from ebay." or words to that effect.

Water under the bridge now but perhaps useful for others.

Second he is licensed by the State and a call to Tallahassee may be in order.

Yacht & Ship Licensing

He knew what he was doing and he was taking advantage of you. Period, dot. Pursue to a reasonable level, one call to Tallahassee, one to an attorney. If you are stuck pay and call it tuition.

Sorry you had to experience this. Funny enough our brokerage was in Daytona Beach in the 80's and was named, wait for it, "Adventure Yacht Sales".

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 10:09   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Seems like I'm posting these words every day now....sad.

Contact the Better Business Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce where he does business. See how many other complaints there are. Lodge your complaint (keep it businesslike). BBB contacts the business and gives them a chance to refute. Based on number of complaints and their substantiation they will then give a rating to the business (used to be stars or a range of recommendation). Many people use this site to choose BEFORE transacting any business.

IMHO you should always look up unknown businesses prior to signing anything with a stranger.....just saying.
having been a business owner i know full well that the bbb is a joke. as a member i paid dearly each year to be included in their listing and were they ever to bad mouth me to a potential client they know full well i'd drop them like a rock as well as my several hundred dollars in annual dues. if a business is not a member they will have no record of complaints so now i just laugh when i see that bbb member certificate on the wall of some business. but it does work. just look at how many people think that being a member of the bbb is worth something. even i thought so and still do. the business and the bbb benefit by that plaque on the wall. the customer??????
Old 23-07-2016, 10:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I think Celestial was kidding about the religious part, If it's true and he is not a licensed broker I would take him to small!claims court for fraud. It won't cost you much and may be worth while. If not at least I would post your unfortunate event on every sailing forum out there, and craigslist under boats, and keep doing it.

ha. and how would he prove fraud??? his testimony before a court that 'he said this before i signed that???' and then you suggest he now at least commits what may be libel and/or slander which could very well cost him even more????
Old 23-07-2016, 10:28   #29

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
having been a business owner i know full well that the bbb is a joke. as a member i paid dearly each year to be included in their listing and were they ever to bad mouth me to a potential client they know full well i'd drop them like a rock as well as my several hundred dollars in annual dues. if a business is not a member they will have no record of complaints so now i just laugh when i see that bbb member certificate on the wall of some business. but it does work. just look at how many people think that being a member of the bbb is worth something. even i thought so and still do. the business and the bbb benefit by that plaque on the wall. the customer??????
I can only tell you my own experience. Back in NY I purchased an appliance that when delivered was obvious it would not fit. It was still on the skid and the delivery truck still there when I called the store. I was more than willing to pay for delivery both ways but take it back. They told me 30% restock fee. I called BBB and complained. Within 4 hours the owner of the chain (they had over 20)called and said "No restock fee and I invite you to come to the store and pick out what you need and we'll take 20% off". No lie. This was 20 years ago so perhaps it's different, but I have looked up businesses and found "non" recommendations and was guided (or not) by them. Or maybe, I just had an experience with someone who wanted a happy customer. Obviously you have a different view and are entitled to it. Cheers.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 10:52   #30

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
ha. and how would he prove fraud??? his testimony before a court that 'he said this before i signed that???' and then you suggest he now at least commits what may be libel and/or slander which could very well cost him even more????
My comment was "If the broker is indeed not a licensed broker "(pretty clear there) Any brokerage contract would be quite fraudulent and not valid, not to mention illegal and breaking state laws . Guess you missed that part?

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, yacht