Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 07:32   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Adrift, the movie

Didn't find any previous mention on the forum doing a search so wonder if anyone has seen the movie or has any comments.

Like so many movies it is "based on a true story" which means to me that Hollywood took a story that was already really interesting but couldn't resist improving it like a dog marking its territory, resulting in a movie that isn't as good as the original story.

Still some reviews say the filming and special effects make the movie worth seeing. Guess I'll have to see it, just because, but am prepared to be annoyed and disappointed.

Sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious for the benefit of the oblivious.

Rust is the poor man's Loctite.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:45   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Adrift, the movie

Adrift Movie vs. the True Story of Tami Oldham and Richard Sharp
gives a comparison between movie and real life (reel vs real)

Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:42   #3

I have not seen the movie, but I did watch the trailer and I think your preparations are wise. I was certainly annoyed, but not disappointed because I had low expectations and it was free.

My totally unsupported theory is that there exists, somewhere in Hollywood, a film library with stock shots of storms raging, waves crashing, and vague characters gasping for breath in water-soaked wreckage. Steal a random hour of that, splice in some handsome-people footage with soap-opera dialogue, and you've got yourself a sailing movie, or at least a really bad trailer.

There is also a theory in some of the reviews that the injured guy's real name is (warning: pretentious film arcana follows) Richard Parker . If you see the movie, let us know.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Adrift Movie vs. the True Story of Tami Oldham and Richard Sharp
gives a comparison between movie and real life (reel vs real)
Thanks for the excellent link!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
I have not seen the movie, but I did watch the trailer and I think your preparations are wise. I was certainly annoyed, but not disappointed because I had low expectations and it was free.
I would say that 99 44/100% of the time I am disappointed in Hollywood's complete inability to address technology or science. Watching explosions in the vacuum of space that go boom drives me crazy. Scuba divers that talk about their oxygen tanks, totally stupid. Hans Solo referring to parsecs as a measure of speed, wrong. With the millions they spend on movies can't they afford to pay some science geek a couple of boat bucks to point these out?

Quote:
My totally unsupported theory is that there exists, somewhere in Hollywood, a film library with stock shots of storms raging, waves crashing, and vague characters gasping for breath in water-soaked wreckage. Steal a random hour of that, splice in some handsome-people footage with soap-opera dialogue, and you've got yourself a sailing movie, or at least a really bad trailer.
Wouldn't be the first time the same footage was used in several flicks.

Quote:
There is also a theory in some of the reviews that the injured guy's real name is (warning: pretentious film arcana follows) Richard Parker.
That one rang a very dim bell but finally gave up and googled the name then the light bulb finally lit.

Quote:
If you see the movie, let us know.
It will probably happen at some point and will be sure to post my disappointed comments.

By the way, 352? Any reference to the area code?

Old 03-06-2018, 14:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I would say that 99 44/100% of the time I am disappointed in Hollywood's complete inability to address technology or science. Watching explosions in the vacuum of space that go boom drives me crazy. With the millions they spend on movies can't they afford to pay some science geek a couple of boat bucks to point these out?
I watched the end of "Space Cowboys" last night (I only watch highbrow stuff) as, in orbit, pieces of the space station "fell" on them from "above".

Quote:
By the way, 352? Any reference to the area code?
Yes. I spent 10 years in "Hoggetowne", not far, apparently, from your lat/long, and that was the best my fertile imagination could come up with for a username. Good place to live, though, so not a total loss.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 15:00   #7

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

As CNN said in their review of the movie: "It's worth noting, too, that while the particulars are easily found via a Google search, given the slim nature of the story, the less one knows going into the movie -- other than the fact that Tami lived to write a book about it -- the better."

I'd be more inclined to purchase Tami Oldham's book for the true story...and I can always use it at the next marina's book exchange.
Teknishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 15:04   #8

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

Yep, you can buy the original version (Red Sky In Mourning) of the book on Amazon or the one (Adrift) with the new cover and a couple updates....

I hope my copy arrives before I sail next weekend …..

But if you need a good seagoing movie you can get The Wreck Of the Mary Deare with Charlton Heston and Gary Cooper:

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 15:45   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I watched the end of "Space Cowboys" last night (I only watch highbrow stuff) as, in orbit, pieces of the space station "fell" on them from "above".
Yeah, that's me, highbrow. Space Cowboys did succumb a little to Hollywood but was better than most. I still think one of the space movies that got most of the physics and technology right was 2001. Gravity did pretty well although the story line got to be a little much at times.

Quote:
Yes. I spent 10 years in "Hoggetowne", not far, apparently, from your lat/long, and that was the best my fertile imagination could come up with for a username. Good place to live, though, so not a total loss.
Well as a proper navigator the lat/lon is position of the boat.

Where I'm located, when not on the boat or on the road, my back yard overlooks "Hoggetowne" Creek.

Old 04-06-2018, 19:49   #10

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

I saw the movie. Here are my comments:

* BE WARNED: the movie has abrupt, long, out of sequence shots. I actually left the theater TWICE to talk to the management and complain that the the projectionist had skipped a reel, because one second they are having a date early in the movie, then all of a sudden there is a long post-wreck scene. It turns out this is deliberate: they basically edited the movie to switch around scenes, so you see the events out of order with no indication they are out of order. It is very confusing. You just have to suffer through it.

* The movie is a 90-minute recruiting advertisement for sailing; it romanticizes modern sailing better than any other movie in history.

* The acting is good and the cinematography/direction is classy.

* The movie has a little bit of the feel of a documentary, but it works well with the basic premise that it is a true story.

* The love story is pretty good and believable. The actors approach the romance in a natural and down to earth way.

* The storm scenes are awesome.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:53   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

JSC,
I just finished the book and that is the way it is written too, bouncing back and forth between history and present. It is truly an amazing story. (though in real life he doesn't survive, but Hollywood needs romance).

I am excited to see the movie...
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:02   #12

Boat: Leopard 39

Leftist Hollyweird has little regard for reality.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:05   #13

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

I saw it several days ago and it wasn't too bad. Just like with cop movies, where real cops cringe at the action shots and dialogue, you sailors will too. But, as stated above, the effects are very good, and the filming is done quite well. I enjoyed it, knowing that Hollywood dressed up the original and true story. Hey, movies are supposed to be entertaining, and I was entertained.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:06   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
JSC,
I just finished the book and that is the way it is written too, bouncing back and forth between history and present. It is truly an amazing story. (though in real life he doesn't survive, but Hollywood needs romance).

I am excited to see the movie...
Did the book address how they happened to sail into the middle of a hurricane? I always have to wonder how or why sailors that aren't out there on a cargo ship or fishing vessel go out in hurricane season. Did they not think about hurricane season, think they could sneak through or what?

Old 05-06-2018, 09:12   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Leftist Hollyweird has little regard for reality.
Leftist Hollywood? Really? Guess what, there's more than a few "rightests" in California as well.

Politics have nothing at all to do with it.

Tags
movie