Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 06:39   #121

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Are the exchange premiums being quoted here before or after the taxpayer funded subsidies?
Good question. I have a feeling before. If you use the Kaiser calculator that someone posted a link to it gives you both.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:49   #122
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post

Good question. I have a feeling before. If you use the Kaiser calculator that someone posted a link to it gives you both.
No unicorns please on CF. there's enough myth as it is.

Dave
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07   #123
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Best to just click the red button on these types and move on.

All premium subsidies of course are based on your income. It all comes down to lots of people don't want to help out others with their healtcare in such on obvious way.

somehow, it's better for premiums to keep going sky high so hospitals can cover the care they don't get paid for when people come in super sick from years of no access or healthcare.

The real kicker for me is a local acquaintance, the guy literally listens to right wing am radio all day at his marine business.

No health insurance, wife gets cancer.

Guess who's standing in line at DCF to try and sign her up for Medicaid???

you guessed it.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:15   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Bumblebee View Post
Hi - I was wondering if anyone had been able to figure out if the Bona Fide test will work? That is what we currently use for tax purposes instead of the Physical Presence test (we live in New Zealand). As Rebel Heart pointed out the guidelines talk about the physical presence test (i.e., 330 days) but I wonder if they'll change that to give the option for the Bona Fide test as well?

Apologies in advance if this has already been answered in this thread and I've missed it.

Thanks - Ellen
I use the Bona Fide Residency test myself, and have for decades, although I also qualify under the Physical Presence test. They are alternatives -- you must fulfill one, or the other, in order to use the foreign earned income exclusion.

Have a look: The Bona Fide Residence Test | Expatriate Life: US Taxes and other tips

My very expensive tax advisor told me, years ago, that the main things are paying taxes in your host country as a resident, having a local driver's license, having utility bills there, and similar indicators of where you are practically living.
Dockhead is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 07:23   #125
Marine Service Provider

Taxes are higher in NZ. When I was working in NZ I never filed a US return as I had already paid more overseas than the US would have charged. Of course, if you have US investments with sizable income you would need to declare that in both countries. And sort it out thru the dual taxation system.

the bottom line for this discussion is that if you are a legal resident of NZ or purchase private health insurance there; you do not need to worry about the ACA.

The primary benefit for you is that if you move back the the US, you can purchase insurance right away without worrying about the pre existing melanoma you got while getting fried by the UV in the Southern Hemisphere.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:30   #126
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Funny isnt it, the US system generally has good pricing ,( lumber plumbing cars etc ) but medicine seems miles out of whack.
Yep becasue someone ELSE is paying...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38   #127
Marine Service Provider

While it's nice to take these political jabs at the "47%"

The reality is the ACA takes a stab at better transparency of pricing, but again there is significant resistance.

That's the funny thing about the other side, they say it should be all market based, but where are the prices?

BTW, we all pay. that friend if mine, going to lose their house from initial hospital stay. That will further depress housing prices in our area.

Renters will pay more too as mileage will rise as values go down so landlords will need to raise rent. Nothins' free.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56   #128

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

While I am no fan of Obama, the ACA plan looks like it may be a tremendous help to those with pre-existing conditions that are pretty much uninsurable without group insurance or Medicaid. I have excellent group coverage thru my employer, but if the company goes under, at 58 years old, I doubt I would find another job at anything even remotely close to my current income. Wife has a ton of serious medical issues and is uninsurable in the private insurance market at any price. Too many assets for Medicaid so without ACA, we would have no health insurance until Medicare at age 65. So while I don't need it now and hope I never do, if the need arises, it is nice to know that we won't have to worry about losing everything to pay medical bills before qualifying for Medicare at 65.
Steve W is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06   #129
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
the ACA plan looks like it may be a tremendous help to those with pre-existing conditions that are pretty much uninsurable without group insurance or Medicaid. .
I just can't wait until they do away with PreExisting Conditions on my Boat Insurance...then I can just wait until my boat sinks, sign up and Sha-zam, I'm Covered! People confuze "Insurance" with "Heath Care" they are not the same. It is the Insurance in Health care along with the Government being a payer that is responsible for driving up costs. And ObozoCare just put the Insurance guys incharge...ha ah ah...classic.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 09:19   #130
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Admittedly this was a number of years ago, but I used to have a lot of employees with benefits, and did health insurance related projects, in the USA and have never seen premiums that high? Its none of my business, so you can decline of course, but would you mind explaining how you ended up with such an extreme premium?
The irs statement where we had to pay taxes last year on the employer provided health insurance listed the amount paid by my wife's employer to be $32,000 for two healthy adults living in Massachusetts on blue cross blue shield. Plus we have a $4,000 co pay which comes out weekly from her pay. Then there's a $1000 yearly deductable for each of us. The total over $36,000 per year....Not an unusualy amount in todays market since premiums have nearly doubled in a year.
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37   #131

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

When I was involved in the delivery business, I travelled on my Canadian Passport for the express reason to avoid being tagged as American at border crossings and if I was in need of medical care. Having the luxury of dual citizenship, I found that medical care in countries outside the US was reasonable on an emergency basis if you paid cash. Many of the medical doctors were US trained and some had practiced in the US. Standard of care was generally very good, even better than stateside in many cases. Cash was an easy thing to deal with in the medical environment and just about all doctors outside the US prefer it over insurance. With the confusion over Obamacare within the US, you can imagine how difficult it will be for those providers outside the US.
With encroaching age and its medical issues, travelling will become more difficult if health becomes an increasing issue but I wouldn't plan on many physicians outside the US being happy with accepting Obamacare as payment. My guess is it will be a cash only transaction with the collection from the US government being on the patient. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47   #132

So, let's take a real example right off the Rhode Island ACA website today:

58 year old couple. Income $40,000

Monthly cost of cheapest plan - $2.86 - yes, a month for both of us.

The plan:

$5000 deductible (each), $6300 out of pocket maximum. Very broad coverage including prescriptions once you clear the deductible.

What a great plan! It's like paying out of pocket for health care but once you hit the max you have 100% coverage. If I'm very healthy, our cost is $2.86 a month. If one of us get's really sick, the maximum monthly cost is 1/12 of the $6300 maximum or $525 a month - but only in a year where we get really sick. The $40,000 income allows $2500/month after tax cruising spending. What's not to like?

To not go over the $40,000 income, I'd put some savings in municipal bonds that aren't taxable income and stocks like Berkshire Hathaway that don't pay dividends.

Am I missing something?
CarlF is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 09:54   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I wouldn't plan on many physicians outside the US being happy with accepting Obamacare as payment. My guess is it will be a cash only transaction with the collection from the US government being on the patient. Phil
Note that Obama care does not change the way insurance works in the US for most people. It is still the same private insurance by the same companies as before. I do not imagine it will impact acceptance overseas.

Then again, I do not think overseas ever would have taken US insurance, unless it is a specific travel plan.
RainDog is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56   #134
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
So, let's take a real example right off the Rhode Island ACA website today:

58 year old couple. Income $40,000

Monthly cost of cheapest plan - $2.86 - yes, a month for both of us.

The plan:

$5000 deductible (each), $6300 out of pocket maximum. Very broad coverage including prescriptions once you clear the deductible.

What a great plan! It's like paying out of pocket for health care but once you hit the max you have 100% coverage. If I'm very healthy, our cost is $2.86 a month. If one of us get's really sick, the maximum monthly cost is 1/12 of the $6300 maximum or $525 a month - but only in a year where we get really sick. The $40,000 income allows $2500/month after tax cruising spending. What's not to like?

To not go over the $40,000 income, I'd put some savings in municipal bonds that aren't taxable income and stocks like Berkshire Hathaway that don't pay dividends.

Am I missing something?
correct me if Im wrong , do you mean you have to find 6K in cash first if you have a claim. How many real 40Kers, have that

in your case its cause your hiding your income legally, its the old assets versus income argument, and why farmers sons get education grants and middle class workers sons dont.

dave
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56   #135

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I just can't wait until they do away with PreExisting Conditions on my Boat Insurance...then I can just wait until my boat sinks, sign up and Sha-zam, I'm Covered! People confuze "Insurance" with "Heath Care" they are not the same. It is the Insurance in Health care along with the Government being a payer that is responsible for driving up costs. And ObozoCare just put the Insurance guys incharge...ha ah ah...classic.
Third day, my boat sank ( brain tumors ), I'm pretty darn grateful for the pre existing clause.
God bless
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, sail