Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2013, 16:54   #76

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I used the calculator with 2 adults(47, 45) who do not smoke and an income of $1,000. The premium came out to $8,500/year.

I understand some states are cheaper. It may be wise to try and setup residency in a cheaper state before buying.
What State? Thats significantly higher tham some examples I have run. Income of $1,000, per month? That would put them below the poverty line and the cost should be zero, IIRC.

But, compared to many existing USA plans, pre ACA, thats a very competative premium.
belizesailor is offline   Reply
Old 30-09-2013, 17:04   #77

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

That sounds cheap compared to the $36,000/or $100 per day my wife and I pay.... like I pointed out in an earlier post before it was scrubbed for being too political. But, to answer your question: We can't afford the premiums (tax), nobody can.
Admittedly this was a number of years ago, but I used to have a lot of employees with benefits, and did health insurance related projects, in the USA and have never seen premiums that high? Its none of my business, so you can decline of course, but would you mind explaining how you ended up with such an extreme premium?
belizesailor is offline   Reply
Old 30-09-2013, 17:22   #78

Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I used the calculator with 2 adults(47, 45) who do not smoke and an income of $1,000. The premium came out to $8,500/year.

I understand some states are cheaper. It may be wise to try and setup residency in a cheaper state before buying.
People need to carefully investigate the residency requirements regarding getting identification/drivers license in any state they're considering because some states have actually made not updating addresses a criminal offense as opposed to a simple infraction. And to claim residency in most states, if you choose to keep possession of a Drivers license, residency must be declared in THAT state. So for those with drivers licenses in states which criminalise failure to notify of address changes, you certainly would not want to compound issues by claiming residency for purposes of purchasing insurance and then find out it's a criminal offense to not notify of an address change, or transfer a driving privilege.

Bottom line, since insurance will be based on state of residency, best to have insurance, address, and drivers license in the same state.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply
Old 30-09-2013, 17:24   #79

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
The passage of this law expedited our cruising plans...from 5 years down to 2. I am a nurse in US hospitals. When I did temp nursing contracts, (travel nursing) I had no insurance. We went years with no coverage, and my son was born in Costa Rica because I couldn't afford US healthcare. It just boiled down to numbers. The birth cost me about $4k there, for private medicine. I ended up with an unexpected c-section. Here those bills would have been upwards of $40K. During those years of no coverage in the US, my daughter had a UTI and a clinic visit and lab and antibiotics was over $250. For something completely simple that was diagnosed before she even went to the clinic.

I just checked the marketplace last night. (Btw I doubt many American's have the slightest clue about the process...I've mentioned it a couple of times and am getting blank stares from my fellow Americans). Anyway, for myself, a single mom with two kids in my custody, the cost was $589 per month with a $12,000 deductible. that was for bronze. To upgrade to a silver plan, it was $711 a month with a $6K deductible. Given that I pay in the 37% range for taxes, there is no way that is even possible for me. I'm spending about that much a month refitting the boat, so I'm glad I have coverage right now. In the old days, when I didn't, I just wouldn't have had coverage. I would have still paid out of pocket for any illness, hoped we stayed healthy, fixed up the boat and planned my bug out.
Is that 37% the Federal tax bracket? If so, I'm not surprised at the premium because you are probable outside the income levels the law was designed to help.
Old 30-09-2013, 17:49   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Admittedly this was a number of years ago, but I used to have a lot of employees with benefits, and did health insurance related projects, in the USA and have never seen premiums that high? Its none of my business, so you can decline of course, but would you mind explaining how you ended up with such an extreme premium?
Maybe that includes a 24/7 concierge doctor service as well. Who knows. No doubt he'll let you know how his section 8 tenants are the ones to blame.
Old 30-09-2013, 17:57   #81
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Yeah, how many young healthy people are going to be excited about that?
You can actually go with a higher deductible if you are under 30 and the premiums for them will be not much more than the penalty in 2016.

The thing is, this (ACA) was all pretty well thought out and based on research and facts not political superstition. Just go back in time to 2005 and ask Mitt Romney to explain it to you.
Old 30-09-2013, 18:00   #82

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
You can actually go with a higher deductible if you are under 30 and the premiums for them will be not much more than the penalty in 2016.

The thing is, this (ACA) was all pretty well thought out and based on research and facts not political superstition. Just go back in time to 2005 and ask Mitt Romney to explain it to you.
You just can't keep it non-political can you?
Old 30-09-2013, 18:01   #83
Marine Service Provider

One other quick point, if you are anywhere in the US outside of your state you will have a difficult time if you're relying on the Medicaid expansion.

since Medicaid is primarily really for poor folks that don't really go on planes much or vacation long distances, you are only covered in your state. You can get emergency care if you're injured and your state should cover you, but you wouldn't be able to get a physical or even prescriptions out of state.
Old 30-09-2013, 18:02   #84
Marine Service Provider

It's not me, it's them. I'm sticking to the facts and research, a few others keep bringing up unrealistic situations to show why it supposedly sucks.
Old 30-09-2013, 18:06   #85

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Is that 37% the Federal tax bracket? If so, I'm not surprised at the premium because you are probable outside the income levels the law was designed to help.
No, that's overall. I'm at 27% federal. I'm a nurse. I make decent wages but that's the problem...I'm a wage earner. No write offs or loopholes. I drive a 7 year old car with 110K miles on it and live pretty frugally. Support all 3 of my kids, my son lives with his dad. I love life but there isn't a ton left over on payday. And for people younger than me...it's even worse.
Old 30-09-2013, 18:15   #86
Marine Service Provider

What about the dependents (3 kids) deduction, home mortgage, boat mortgage?, state income taxes paid????

Again, honesty and fact please.
Old 30-09-2013, 18:15   #87

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
I'm well over 30 (about double) and I was laid-off for the first time in 2010. It annoyed me all those years, when I was working, that I paid for medical benefits that I didn't use. I've only gone to western doctors to get something sewed up.

Now I'm self-employed, I bought personal coverage with a $10k deductible for about $130/mo. I found my plan on ehealthinsurance. Yes, it's catastrophic and doesn't cover prescriptions. Of course I could pay $550/mo for a lower deductible and copay. It fits my needs and I don't see how Obamacare is going to effect me.

I looked at http://www.coveroregon.com/ they aren't fully open until October but one can run the calculator to see if you'll get financial assistance .
Old 30-09-2013, 18:21   #88
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I'm well over 30 (about double) and I was laid-off for the first time in 2010. It annoyed me all those years, when I was working, that I paid for medical benefits that I didn't use. I've only gone to western doctors to get something sewed up. Now I'm self employed, I bought personal coverage with a $10k deductable for about $130/mo. Yes, it's catastrophic and doesn't cover prescriptions. It fits my needs and I don't see how Obamacare is going to effect me.
I was replying to someone deliberately suggesting no young people would want insurance and the law would fail.

I have a high deductible policy myself and am 36". IMO that's a deal you've got for that price, your state must have some pretty good regulations already.

I'm not an expert, but unless you earn a bunch like mane 150K I think the ACA will judge your coverage as too lightweight and you will wither have to pay the fine or get better coverage.

Again, I think that is what is going to happen. I will do the exchange and get a subsidy based on my low, semi-retirement income.

I'm actually happy with what I have, but sure I'll be happy with the new options as well.
Old 30-09-2013, 18:31   #89

Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
What about the dependents (3 kids) deduction, home mortgage, boat mortgage?, state income taxes paid???? Again, honesty and fact please.
Are you asking me? I don't own a home...potential cruisers tend to downsize. And I don't get state tax paid credit, I paid 9% +2 grand to the state . I claim one child, my ex the other. I quit claiming my oldest kid so she could hopefully get financial aid… Which btw she didn't. 3.5 GPA honor student and a 29 on her ACT and she was offered $1500 in work study per semester. And loans. I'm not really sure why you would question my honesty… If anyone is intimately aware of my tax situation, it's me. I am the one that writes the check to the IRS every year.

To keep this thread on track, it's about Obamacare and how it would affect cruisers. For me personally, I haven't quite figured out how will affect me. I just know it can't be any worse, and hopefully being out of the country I will be exempt. Residency in coaster Rica looks like a good option for me.
Old 30-09-2013, 18:35   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I'm well over 30 (about double) and I was laid-off for the first time in 2010. It annoyed me all those years, when I was working, that I paid for medical benefits that I didn't use. I've only gone to western doctors to get something sewed up. Now I'm self employed, I bought personal coverage with a $10k deductable for about $130/mo. Yes, it's catastrophic and doesn't cover prescriptions. It fits my needs and I don't see how Obamacare is going to effect me.

I would expect it to go up… My friend who is 38 and has the same type of coverage as you says her premiums will double. Healthy, no co-morbidities, runs marathons.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, sail