Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2013, 20:42   #106

Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I respect your prejudice... I mean judgement... I mean opinion, but you don't know squat about my values, convictions, or my financial means. So. . . I apologize for my defensiveness, guess your reply sounded just a little condescending.
Well I do know all of this, because you typed it. So I know your age, that you're self employed, that you're using a catastrophic plan, and I can assume that the price will go up because of things like no annual caps and the such.

Quote:
I'm well over 30 (about double) and I was laid-off for the first time in 2010. It annoyed me all those years, when I was working, that I paid for medical benefits that I didn't use. I've only gone to western doctors to get something sewed up.

Now I'm self-employed, I bought personal coverage with a $10k deductible for about $130/mo. I found my plan on ehealthinsurance. Yes, it's catastrophic and doesn't cover prescriptions. Of course I could pay $550/mo for a lower deductible and copay. It fits my needs and I don't see how Obamacare is going to effect me.
rebel heart is offline   Reply
Old 30-09-2013, 21:49   #107
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I don't see how anyone could have any idea how there premium is going to change at this stage.
Easy....as an Employer I had a meeting with our insurance broker and was informed that I would be "Broker" due to Obamacare by about $7300/yr....
Thanks Obama for promising one thing and giving me another.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 30-09-2013, 22:03   #108

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Well I do know all of this, because you typed it. So I know your age, that you're self employed, that you're using a catastrophic plan, and I can assume that the price will go up because of things like no annual caps and the such.
You're right.. and I'll add, I think we should have a single payer plan so everyone can get quality health care... and that members of my family got free health and dental care when they were in Denmark and Italy because the doctor's office didn't know how to take a payment... and they did appreciate the candy and flowers and I'll mention that I worked for a medical device manufacturer and saw the delays providing pain relief to patients because of our confusing US system of clinics, providers, processors, payors etc. and that Medicare was the easiest to navigate.
Old 30-09-2013, 22:52   #109

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I checked at 4 people, 3 kids, and $70,000 salary (just guessing, not trying to get into your personal business by any means). Just looking at the "bronze" package which is $5k deductible, and $405/month but that's not across the board: - no cost preventative care - $45 copay on non-preventative primary care visits - $19 copay for drugs - no annual max - no lifetime max - $300 emergency room copay It's still $400/month which isn't funny money, but it is four human beings who could be treated for the most serious and expensive illnesses, for years, by some of the world's best physicians. Plus, you can get an income tax deduction on the premiums.
$400 is actually a reasonable amount and a $5K deductible per family not bad. It won't be free and people need to expect that they will have to pay. $300 on ER is high but honestly, most people shouldn't need the ER anyway. If health care is run right, most things should not be an "emergency". I'll look again when the actual "Marketplace" is open for enrollment. My son is covered by his dad's policy (and for whoever asked, I do support him because I pay child support to his dad but his dad gets him on taxes.).

One thing I wonder is if I'd put in my quote for 3 people, myself and the two children that reside with me, 19 and 17. If it were more people, would that effect the rate because income wouldn't seem as high? Is tax code changing at all with regard to premiums being a write off? I can't remember but seems like it used to be 7% of income before you could use as a deduction.

Regardless, I still like the idea of relocating to Costa Rica. Spending hurricane season there to fulfill their 4 months a year residency requirement. Better coffee too. :-)
Old 30-09-2013, 23:04   #110

Boat: Raven 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
The concern there is the "Bona Fida Residence Test" versus the "Physical Presence Test". It wasn't clear to me from the reading I've done to date whether the Residence test also applied.
Hi - I was wondering if anyone had been able to figure out if the Bona Fide test will work? That is what we currently use for tax purposes instead of the Physical Presence test (we live in New Zealand). As Rebel Heart pointed out the guidelines talk about the physical presence test (i.e., 330 days) but I wonder if they'll change that to give the option for the Bona Fide test as well?

Apologies in advance if this has already been answered in this thread and I've missed it.

Thanks - Ellen
Old 01-10-2013, 00:51   #111
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
When my son was a newborn they were worried he had hydrocephalus. They said he needed an MRI. My father-in-law and brother in law are surgeons and the doctor was a friend of theirs at the same hospital. I asked how much does that cost? They had no clue.

$1200 for a cash payer.

Ended up doing an ultra sound instead for like $200. He just had a big head.
What. , I just a head MRI in a fully high tech facility in Ireland with a 3 tesla high res, brand new scanner, the scan cost €120, when I was there recently . Somebodies screwing you.
( note this facility I used was not publicly/ state supported in any way , purely private operation)

I got a nice CD with all the pretty pictures to bring home too

Dave
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49   #112

Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What. , I just a head MRI in a fully high tech facility in Ireland with a 3 tesla high res, brand new scanner, the scan cost €120, when I was there recently . Somebodies screwing you. ( note this facility I used was not publicly/ state supported in any way , purely private operation) I got a nice CD with all the pretty pictures to bring home too Dave
$1200 is a pretty good price for an MRI in the US. That's how our healthcare works. (Or doesn't). I was quoted $500 cash price for an MRI of a knee. That was with a discount because I was a nurse.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58   #113

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
$1200 is a pretty good price for an MRI in the US. That's how our healthcare works. (Or doesn't). I was quoted $500 cash price for an MRI of a knee. That was with a discount because I was a nurse.
That's quite a difference. Do you think they are losing money on you or making a $700 profit on everyone else?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:01   #114
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Jeepers a nurse paying for medical, wow , all the RNs I know , just whistle and medicine appears , and they haven't half a good avatar as yours !!!! I don't think any doctor or nurse needs any form of insurance , I mean there,re inside the system
Old 01-10-2013, 04:04   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
That's quite a difference. Do you think they are losing money on you or making a $700 profit on everyone else?
A head MRI is significantly more detailed than a knee would be. The cost would be more for a head.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:05   #116
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Wow. And mine was been paid for buy an insurance company too.

Someone making A LOT of money

Funny isnt it, the US system generally has good pricing ,( lumber plumbing cars etc ) but medicine seems miles out of whack. I can see the fixation on this thread and symphatise. Its properly why my travel cover covers medicine on the whole planet , except the US. All they do for there is medical fly out . !!!!

Dave
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07   #117
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

A head MRI is significantly more detailed than a knee would be. The cost would be more for a head.
Mine was a head, the girl presses a few more buttons , and I listened to music in the head phones a bit longer , ( crap music though )
The machine does everything itself anyway , ( isnt software great , go programmers )

Dave
Old 01-10-2013, 04:44   #118
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Easy....as an Employer I had a meeting with our insurance broker and was informed that I would be "Broker" due to Obamacare by about $7300/yr....
To make a fair comparison you would need to look at GST and personal income rates of other 1st world countries and see how much more you would be paying their. Before you complain too much.

That's what this is really about, trying to get out heatlh system more on par with other countries.

Sure, some people don't want that, but apparently enough do.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:08   #119

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

How many covered employees not including relatives? Depending on the number that may not be much of an increase.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:13   #120

Are the exchange premiums being quoted here before or after the taxpayer funded subsidies?
sailpower is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, sail