Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 17:50   #211
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

My very expensive tax advisor told me, years ago, that the main things are paying taxes in your host country as a resident, having a local driver's license, having utility bills there, and similar indicators of where you are practically living.
Is anybody here smart enough (certainly not me) to start a "St Brendan's Isle" company for citizenship abroad?........................That has health insurance contracts for the USA.

Cause almost all insurance companies pay half or less of "charges". The "charges" come off a "chargmaster" that is a secret. Medicare (big brothah) keeps reducing the payments to providers and the insurance companies point to that and reduce theirs. Their rates continue upward as do taxes. Who is getting the money?
__________________

__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 18:01   #212
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Boat: Seaward 22
Posts: 691
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

This will be a tough transition for many. Lots of "middle class" people who have not bought health insurance in the past will now have to. That money doesn't come out of thin air. People will have to cut back in other places which could have negative economic impacts.

Healthcare needs some major change. I'm just not sure these go far enough and are in the right direction. I think we will wind up with a single payer system....which isn't all bad.

My personal plan through my employer changed dramatically last year with premiums going up over 25% and on top of that huge increase we went from a co-pay of $20 system to the deductible and max out of pocket. This year my premium went up 10%. Health insurance was a major reason I stayed with my employer because of pre-existing conditions. Now that the plan is not very good and I have other options I am seriously considering changing jobs. This is probably an unintended consequence of ACA.

No matter how you cut it, there will be winners and losers.
__________________

__________________
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 18:06   #213
Registered User
 
sailpower's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 784
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So since you're with him and his talk of how the nurses are the new wealthy to have their taxes destributed. You're ok with his untrue statements?

What I'm not OK with are trolls who love the sound of their own voices but that's not the topic here is it?
__________________
sailpower is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 18:12   #214
Registered User
 
sailpower's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 784
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Not really. Federal employees will have to select coverage using the ACA marketplace. They continue to have healthcare coverage as a co pay to the program. Like many employees that co pay. Except they are required to use the ACA marketplace to choose their plan.
If you are using the term co-pay to describe the portion of the premium that the employer contributes to an employee health insurance plan then no I donít believe you are correct as I stated above.

"Don't forget that ACA is in addition to what the private sector and federal government provide their workers. Those plans can be subsidized for any amount up 100%. Private insurance is still here.


Under the new law employers cannot subsidize premiums for those that go on ACA. This was deliberate as the fear was that employers would simply drop their employee coverage which would force their workers onto the exchanges. If they subsidized the premiums it would still be a much better deal for employers as they would eliminate all of their own overhead associated with providing health care.



So, for the above reasons, employers are not allowed to subsidize exchange premiums under the new law. Congress apparently has realized that this also applies to them so there is a proposal to exempt them from that part of the law. i. e. give themselves and their staffers special treatment. The justification was even advanced that staffers arenít paid that much and couldnít afford the increased exchange cost that would result even with the tax credits and subsidies. Make of this what you will.


For now Congress, their staffers and Federal workers can simply keep what they already have but there are bills being proposed that will require them to go on the exchanges. If that happens, Congress wants the special treatment stated above".
__________________
sailpower is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 18:40   #215
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
No matter how you cut it, there will be winners and losers.
Ah...the Meat of the issue! So the question is simply put: "it is the role of the Federal Government to pick the winners and losers or is it better to be left to the individuals?
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 18:42   #216
Registered User
 
sabray's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wash DC
Boat: PETERSON 44
Posts: 3,169
Yes we agree I used co pay in larger term when related to insurance premiums. Standard in the private sector.
Federal employees are required to use the ACA but continue to receive the benefit of the employer paying a portion similar to the benefit when they were hired.
Really bad way to treat employees. What ever. No business that wanted performance would do what the governing body is doing today. These idiots should be looking to get top performance from the employees.
I think were good enough to get universal health care that isn't so complicated and change some really bad programs.
Hey gay marriage was like taboo, couldn't happen without social fabric falling apart. Now it's no big deal. Sequestration was a doomsday. We did okay. Maybe we could do healthcare, tighten our belts, balance the budget, and off topic let Washington, D.C. Spend its local tax dollars without these idiots giving us approval.
__________________
sabray is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 18:44   #217
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

thanks for being such a patriot.
Actually I am a patriot. Although I grew up overseas.

It is the politics that ruin it for me.

Pass the FAIRTAX everybody.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 18:47   #218
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Ok, so this isn't political.

In countries that have single payer, that's the nice thing, you just pay your taxes. And go to the doctor.

My first hand experience is in NZ. There are no special healtcare tax or monthly payment which ends up feeling like a screw job. You also don't have to worry about anyone deciding not to get coverage.

Now there are plenty of issues with all health systems, but when you look at the total amount of money the US spends on healtcare there is more than enough money being spent to give every American the VERY best care.

the problem for any approach is breaking the medical industrial complex we've built up. No doubt half those big yachts they can't build fast enough belong to implant CEOs, insurance CEOs, pharma, etc, etc

Again, there's no reason why we shouldn't have the best care and we already spend the money. but it's hard as hell to come up with a system when only 1/2 of the people are willing to try to fix the problem. and the other 1/2 spend literally billions to fight it.
I agree, and I like the term "medical industrial complex".

I don't want to go political so I'll stop here.
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 18:52   #219
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Not really. Federal employees will have to select coverage using the ACA marketplace. They continue to have healthcare coverage as a co pay to the program. Like many employees that co pay. Except they are required to use the ACA marketplace to choose their plan.
The details that I read a while back said that the bottom line was that if they did not get some sort of "help" they would not be able to afford it if they followed the rules like Joe Shmo. So now they made a provision, exemption or whatever you want to call it. Joe Shmo is stuck with it though.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 18:55   #220
Registered User
 
jkindredpdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Posts: 1,047
Images: 5
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
This will be a tough transition for many. Lots of "middle class" people who have not bought health insurance in the past will now have to. That money doesn't come out of thin air. People will have to cut back in other places which could have negative economic impacts.

Healthcare needs some major change. I'm just not sure these go far enough and are in the right direction. I think we will wind up with a single payer system....which isn't all bad. . .
I tend to agree. I think the ACA was conceived as a single payer system, but was modified along the road so it would pass. I watched my employers cut benefits, increase employee paid portion for insurance, and increase the deductibles since ~ 2000 maybe before. We did get FSAs and HSAs to help ease the pain, but I think as long as Healthcare is provided by employers there will be issues.

In general I believe costs have risen as new drugs and procedures have been developed to keep us alive when before we might have died... that seems like a good thing. It seems easy to point fingers. Unraveling the current system and rebuilding will take a long time, but I think ACA is a good first step, albeit fraught with uncertainty.
__________________
http://www.sednahr35.blogspot.com/ Jim K.
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 18:55   #221
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
If you are using the term co-pay to describe the portion of the premium that the employer contributes to an employee health insurance plan then no I donít believe you are correct as I stated above.

"Don't forget that ACA is in addition to what the private sector and federal government provide their workers. Those plans can be subsidized for any amount up 100%. Private insurance is still here.


Under the new law employers cannot subsidize premiums for those that go on ACA. This was deliberate as the fear was that employers would simply drop their employee coverage which would force their workers onto the exchanges. If they subsidized the premiums it would still be a much better deal for employers as they would eliminate all of their own overhead associated with providing health care.



So, for the above reasons, employers are not allowed to subsidize exchange premiums under the new law. Congress apparently has realized that this also applies to them so there is a proposal to exempt them from that part of the law. i. e. give themselves and their staffers special treatment. The justification was even advanced that staffers arenít paid that much and couldnít afford the increased exchange cost that would result even with the tax credits and subsidies. Make of this what you will.


For now Congress, their staffers and Federal workers can simply keep what they already have but there are bills being proposed that will require them to go on the exchanges. If that happens, Congress wants the special treatment stated above".
Yep.
And my answer to that is real simple. "Screw them".
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 19:17   #222
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Some help could come from cutting back (rationing, if you will) the amount of money spent in the last 30 days of life by Medicare alone. 30%. But Americans just can't listen when told someone has led a full life and this is just prolonging the end.

I am leaving for the moment and want to sleep so will end with something from another thread.

Thanks Coops.

Thought for the day: There is more money being spent on breast implants and Viagra today than on Alzheimer's research. This means that by 2040, there should be a large elderly population with perky Boobs and huge erections and absolutely no recollection of what to do with them.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 19:20   #223
Registered User
 
sabray's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wash DC
Boat: PETERSON 44
Posts: 3,169
The problem with the screw them philosophy is its screw like well its me. You want to screw me. My dad served as a AA to a US senator for 30 years . I believe he served the state of Rhode Island very well. Should he not have the healthcare that he agreed to when he was hired. Not as a distinct group that gets some odd public stoning. It's what was offered when he was hired. Obviously I think my dad served the people. I have heard from people he served. I know he worked long and hard for the people of Rhode island. So if you telling my dad screw you. Guess you'll get a good idea of my opinion. Maybe screw you is as deep as your thought process gets. It's a tad more difficult then that. Kinda like chucking tea it takes vision for it become a party. That's what were lacking vision compassion and party. Pretty sure you can find those characteristics and retract the screw you part of your point.
__________________
sabray is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 19:42   #224
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Boat: Seaward 22
Posts: 691
Re: ACA/Obamacare for American Cruisers Abroad MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
The problem with the screw them philosophy is its screw like well its me. You want to screw me. My dad served as a AA to a US senator for 30 years . I believe he served the state of Rhode Island very well. Should he not have the healthcare that he agreed to when he was hired. Not as a distinct group that gets some odd public stoning. It's what was offered when he was hired. Obviously I think my dad served the people. I have heard from people he served. I know he worked long and hard for the people of Rhode island. So if you telling my dad screw you. Guess you'll get a good idea of my opinion. Maybe screw you is as deep as your thought process gets. It's a tad more difficult then that. Kinda like chucking tea it takes vision for it become a party. That's what were lacking vision compassion and party. Pretty sure you can find those characteristics and retract the screw you part of your point.
I understand your situation. It's no different than when the government told all of the GM retires to "screw you." No different than my employer killing my pension, or .....the list goes on and on. So please don't give us the holier than thou. Everybody gets screwed by the system your father no different. It's not right, but sad fact of life that you can't count on a promise.
__________________
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 20:05   #225
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Thought for the day: There is more money being spent on breast implants and Viagra today than on Alzheimer's research. This means that by 2040, there should be a large elderly population with perky Boobs and huge erections and absolutely no recollection of what to do with them.
One of my 401K funds is called the "2040 Target Fund". Until that comment, 2040 seemed not only like a long ways off for retirement, but also extremely boring. Now, I'm at least looking forward to boobs, huge erections and having to feel my way around... . Just like that summer camp back when I was 15....
__________________

__________________
monstads is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schooner Nina - MERGED 3 THREADS Friend of Nina Navigation 914 28-08-2013 00:01
Merged Threads: HMS Bounty Mark1977 Cruising News & Events 571 01-08-2013 14:08
Merged Threads: Cruising Madeira brine Atlantic & the Caribbean 14 19-12-2012 03:23



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.