Name:	biohazard-flag-2902453.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	172261
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 19:57   #92

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: A sincere request

I always find the yacht with very rusty topsides and a general air of neglect has no issue with other boats anchoring near it.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 22:50   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i just wander around naked....they soon leave.....

Yep !!!! ( assuming it will be an unpleasant view )
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 20:04   #94

Boat: celestial 48

I don't quite get how being first to an anchorage gives you ownership or special rights to it. Every skipper has equal rights to pick the best available place for their boats regardless of the order they arrive. Yes I agree that one should be polite and respect others, but we often share anchorages with motor boats and fishing boats who have quite different (but no less valid) ideas about boating etiquette. Being rich enough to own your own yacht does not confer special privileges in dictating rules to others. The anchorage belongs to no-one. Be prepared to move if others are crowding or otherwise offending you.
phetploy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 23:04   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetploy View Post
I don't quite get how being first to an anchorage gives you ownership or special rights to it. Every skipper has equal rights to pick the best available place for their boats regardless of the order they arrive. Yes I agree that one should be polite and respect others, but we often share anchorages with motor boats and fishing boats who have quite different (but no less valid) ideas about boating etiquette. Being rich enough to own your own yacht does not confer special privileges in dictating rules to others. The anchorage belongs to no-one. Be prepared to move if others are crowding or otherwise offending you.
Indeed!

I guess we've disappointed the OP with our lack of responsiveness to his "sincere request", but perhaps he has learned something about how this works in practice. No one owns the anchorage!

I am not, personally, bothered by people anchoring close (although it happens rarely now since I cruise places where 99% of the time I have the anchorage to myself). Boats tend to swing together unless they are wildly different in size or scope, and it's rare that they swing into each other, even when they are anchored chock-a-block.

What I really hate is people making noise, especially loud music, but I hate that in all public places.

Nevertheless, I have never once in my entire cruising life asked someone to pipe down -- you just don't have any right to do this in a public place, even if the other people are behaving in a rude and inconsiderate manner. Just pull up the anchor and move, or tolerate it!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 08:10   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Papa over Papa.

See the International Code of Signals: http://www.seasources.net/PDF/PUB102.pdf
Alternatively, there being: Hey, QU!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QU.PNG
Views:	80
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	172323  
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 11:12   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetploy View Post
What you got right for, is a safe distance if you anchored first, nothing more.
Old 24-06-2018, 12:40   #98
CLOD

Boat: none

even notice how from the boat other anchored boats seem very close, but once you take off in the dinghy and look back the boats are acturally pretty far apart
Old 26-06-2018, 22:03   #99

Hahahaha.......awesome
Peter Kokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 02:49   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We anchored in a quiet bay, first island west of the first Boca near Chaguaramas, Trinidad. Two other sailboats. Distances were generous. By noon, the place started to fill. By five, there were excursion charters with hundreds aboard, rafting together. Other private boats joined the raft. A second raft formed. We counted over 80 boats. They started out all playing different music at painful levels. Eventually the biggest boat with the loudest live entertainment won out. The noise continued until 5:30 AM. This is standard procedure on a Friday or Saturday. We were never worried about contact but the noise was oppressive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6040.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	172546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6044.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	444.4 KB
ID:	172547  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 03:56   #101

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Please, everyone:

When anchoring, do your level best to anchor AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE from other boats. We don’t want to see you and especially not hear you.

Please.
Carry a Fleur-de-lis (Quebec) flag and hoist it. Nobody will come near you.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 13:45   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We anchored in a quiet bay, first island west of the first Boca near Chaguaramas, Trinidad. Two other sailboats. Distances were generous. By noon, the place started to fill. By five, there were excursion charters with hundreds aboard, rafting together. Other private boats joined the raft. A second raft formed. We counted over 80 boats. They started out all playing different music at painful levels. Eventually the biggest boat with the loudest live entertainment won out. The noise continued until 5:30 AM. This is standard procedure on a Friday or Saturday. We were never worried about contact but the noise was oppressive.
Nic: Suggestion, move close to the raft, install very loud speakers and starting at early sunrise, say continuously from about 6 AM to 7 AM, play recordings of urban freeway traffic reports and winter weather advisories and used car sales advertisements. Turn up the volume. The charterers will feel like they are awakening back home [welcome to paradise], except having to deal with the pain of their hangovers and fatigue from late night partying.
Or you can play this song:

That is how we rudely awakened ourselves when we were young [there being about 60 or 70 of us obnoxious party animals] and partied all night rafting four or five very large houseboats on Shasta Lake, California on long weekends; water skiing started at sunrise when the lake was calmest, afternoons were for napping, evenings and nights were for dancing and partying. I recall the more intrepid and first water skiers of the day would often launch from the roofs of the house boats, people that were sleeping on the roofs had to move aside to make for the launch ways. The skegs of the skis tended to leave a gouge line on the roofs. Actually accomplishing a successful landing from launching off a roof top, required practice and lots of failures. And since one [read EVERYONE] was thence awake at 6 AM, it was time to go below for some hair of the dogs that had bit ya in order to dispel any hangover one might have developed during the brief interlude of sleep.
Old 27-06-2018, 13:53   #103

I'd be deterred by someone skeet shooting off the stern, between drinks... Just saying.

PULL!
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 15:20   #104
CLOD

Boat: none

The closer you are to the other boats the somer you know about your boat dragging across the anchorage
Old 27-06-2018, 15:28   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymaxion View Post
I'd be deterred by someone skeet shooting off the stern, between drinks... Just saying.

PULL!
I would be deterred also. I can hear the water skier saying HIT IT and the skeet shooter then yelling PULL. I recall one summer evening another house boat with two families with small children entered the small remote cove we had the five houseboats rafted and anchored at with our flotilla of ski boats tied alongside, and it appeared they were going to drop anchor very nearby, perhaps 150 feet or so. A friend who was an off duty Deputy Sheriff that was among our drunken lot saw that they were considering to stay near us, so he threw a beer can into the water, took out his semiautomatic pistol and quickly emptied his clip [about 15 rounds] targeting the can, which amazingly was repeatedly hit from about 20 yards, and promptly sank. The houseboat with the two young families decided to relocate to a quieter [and safer] cove. Skeet shooting certainly would tend to keep others from anchoring near by.

The chart below provides the distance that shot can travel. I did not realize that it was so far; note to self, next time keep greater distance during huntin' season. I once attempted shooting from a boat, but truth be told I am challenged to even hit the broadside of an aircraft carrier from a short distance; I'm not much of a better shooter, on stable land either.

Well the OP desired 1,000 feet or more distance, so a gunnery practice signal flag may be appropriate, although I perceive that not many yachties know the meaning of signals or even look for them. Albeit I can readily spot a Gin Pennant from a thousand feet and I can usually recognize a Diver Down pennant when its in my wake after just having avoided running over it

When you see a Bravo signal flag be sure to
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shot gun projectile range..PNG
Views:	76
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	172605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunnery practice signal flag.PNG
Views:	71
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	172606