Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2018, 07:39   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: A sincere request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Being the first person to drop anchor doesn't give you the right to dictate where everyone else is anchored. You dropped anchor because that looked like the best spot to you. Guess what, it looks like the best spot to me too. . . .
Yes, exactly, and being more serious, this is the actual point.

No one owns the anchorage, and no one has the right to shout at people ANCHOR AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE or some other such nonsense.

If you don't like the way other people anchor, then pull your hook up and go somewhere else.

If you cruise where there are lots of other boats, then it's inevitable that people will anchor up close to each other, even if the anchorage is not crowded.

Anchoring etiquette says --

1. Give others already in the anchorage space if you can.

2. Certainly -- don't make noise, play loud music, etc. -- even if you are anchored far away -- sound travels far over water.

3. But it also says -- if you are first and someone doesn't follow Rule 1, then put out fenders, or move yourself. With a smile, do you hear? You don't own that spot and it's none of your business WHY the other boat chose to anchor there. He may be stupid, or he may have a very good reason, and it's none of your business which it is.

4. If someone violates Rule 2, just move.

5. Never forget that we cruise for pleasure. It's not a job. Why would you spoil your own mood by worrying about how other people are anchored? And for God's sake, why would you spoil other people's mood? Have another drink and relax.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 21:33   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Please, everyone:

When anchoring, do your level best to anchor AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE from other boats. We don’t want to see you and especially not hear you.

Please.
Last time out some putz came in and dropped anchor right on top of our anchor then proceeded to drift right into us. Good thing we were watching their every more. We dropped bumpers and they fired up the engine and hauled anchor and thankfully left the immediate area without further incident.
CoralReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 06:40   #63

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

On the other side of this... recently I approached a small but popular anchorage and one big cat was anchored smack in the center of the only spot that has decent water depth. Could have fit the usual 3-4 boats if this one was a bit off center. No place for me without being too close so I moved on to a nearby marina for the night instead. But it sure would be nice if this captain had given some thought to being a bit off center and allowed room for another boat or two. I’m still new at this but I usually try to not take up an extraordinary amount of room when space is limited by channel or shoal nearby. Right? Wrong? It just seems like courtesy in tight place.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 06:44   #64

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Please, everyone:

When anchoring, do your level best to anchor AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE from other boats. We don’t want to see you and especially not hear you.

Please.
one sword describes tamicatana SELFISH
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 07:26   #65
CLOD

Boat: none

While I accept the “rule” of first in th anchorage sets the scope etc. I’ve also learned people lie about the holding around them and some will tell you some ridiculous amount of rode being out in an attempt to “have the place to themselves”. So I’ve learned to just follow my own anchoring guidelines (I’m conservative and don’t want to be too clean se to other boats). This brings the final rule say in anchoring:

He who is most concerned about the other anchored boats around them is the one who needs to move! Doesn’t matter who was there first or 100th.
Old 22-06-2018, 07:43   #66

Okay, so under varying circumstances, I am not sure how far apart one is supposed to anchor.

Just asking and seeking guidance:

Is this close enough?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rafting ayc508279325.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	172232   Click image for larger version

Name:	raftingAYCpool.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	172233  

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 08:14   #67

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Spent 6 years wandering the Caribbean, at anchor every nite we weren't offshore. Our observation was that the cruising boats tended to try and anchor as far from others as conditions allowed while the charter boaters tended to want to anchor near the cruising boats. (This is a generalization, don't take offense if you charter, I'm sure you're the exception!) Our theory was that the charter boaters assumed the cruising boaters knew something they didn't regarding the best place to anchor.

Were anchored off Foxy's at Jost Van Dyke for New Years eve when a 65' charter boat came in to a VERY crowded anchorage, shoehorned the boat in front of us such that his transom was literally 10' from our bow. I'm sitting on the bow with a sundowner just watching. They all piled into the dinghy to go ashore, came by and said, "I hope we're not too close??" I replied, "You've got as much right to the anchorage as I do, but you might want to read your charter contract. I'm not a admiralty attorney, but I suspect if you anchor too close to another vessel and collide with them you're liable for damage to both boats." He swallowed hard, thanked me, unloaded everyone back on to his boat, upped anchor and moved.

Another time, we pulled into a river off the ICW in North Carolina for an overnight stop. There was one 30' sailboat anchored at the mouth. We motored up river maybe a mile and dropped the hook. Not another boat in sight for miles. 20 min. later the 30' sailboat upped anchor, moved to within 50 yds of us and re-anchored. He shouted over, "Do you think I'm too close?" I told him I wasn't sure about the holding in the area and wasn't sure just how good my anchor had set (it was fine, I had backed down hard). I suggested that he might want to give himself a little more distance just in case!" He pulled anchor and moved maybe 1/4 mile away. Never really understood why he moved near us in the first place, could have been the charter boat syndrome...

Got lots of other anchoring stories, but my point is, there are ways to handle the boat that gets too close without being an a$$hole about it... not that anyone on this forum would fit into that category!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 08:43   #68

Boat: Haida 26 "Running Scared"

When cruising on a friend's trimaran, after anchoring, he asked everyone to strip naked to keep the charter boats away. We did. It worked.
Michael Conway-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 08:57   #69
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

With some crews, that would attract rather than repel.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 09:40   #70

This is one of the things that’s gone wrong in society. We have stopped being courteous of each other it’s sad. Remember pay it forwards you get what you give😁
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 09:42   #71

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Is there a signal flag for misanthrope? Perhaps that could help.

Few can deny that sailing all alone with no land in sight, especially during a night watch, provides a unique opportunity for thoughts great and small, but I've found that the overwhelming majority of sailors value the comradeship of others when at anchor.

I sail and cruise to enjoy other people, not to escape from them, but opinions do vary.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 10:23   #72

Boat: Catalina 34

I am with you! If there is room, PLEASE ANCHOR FAR AWAY FROM ME - part of the beauty of being on the water for me is getting away from the crazy Southern California traffic, people, noise, etc!! When there is no room, that's another story. We were in the Spanish Virgin Islands (moorings only) - we were the only boat with plenty of moorings far away. The charter boat comes in and moors RIGHT NEXT US! Really??????

In Italian there is a saying "la mamma del imbicile e' sempre incinta" The mother of the imbecile is always pregnant. Nuff said!
Old 22-06-2018, 10:36   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
Is there a signal flag for misanthrope? Perhaps that could help.

Few can deny that sailing all alone with no land in sight, especially during a night watch, provides a unique opportunity for thoughts great and small, but I've found that the overwhelming majority of sailors value the comradeship of others when at anchor.

I sail and cruise to enjoy other people, not to escape from them, but opinions do vary.

Fair winds,
Leo
Hey Leo: As to your astute question:

"Is there a signal flag for misanthrope?"

Perhaps one of these would suffice. I particularly like the one with the scale, which should be adjustable depending on your mood for the day, e.g., Green means the equivalent of flying a Gin pennant, whereas Red means, prefer you keep your distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Misanthrope.PNG
Views:	100
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	172238   Click image for larger version

Name:	misanthrope scale.PNG
Views:	103
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	172239  

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 10:44   #74

Boat: Catalina 34

I love the flag idea!! I do want to say, I don't always want to be in solitude, and I enjoy meeting other cruisers, for sure - but sometimes I just need and want the space. Guess I should move to Wyoming! Haha
Old 22-06-2018, 10:57   #75

Boat: vagabond 41
Send a message via AIM to vagrant

What a sad topic. Tolerance has gone out of the window. Ah well, welcome to the (current) real world. Sigh!
vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote