Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 19:17   #196
Registered User
 
Normanby's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 312
I'm with Shas on this one.

The achievements of the Pardeys are so monumentally awesome as to wipe away any minor departures from being utterly self-sufficient.

The posts suggesting they were hypocritical were indeed incendiary, and needed swift rebuttal. And Shas has been an eloquent and erudite advocate for the Pardeys in their absence.

If a call came out on the VHF from an engineless sailer for a tow into my marina i'd be out there like a shot to tow them in. They's have my respect and i'd make a new friend, and i would not feel inconvenienced at all.
__________________

__________________
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 19:49   #197
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,653
Shas, eloquent? Oh never mind.
__________________

__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 19:52   #198
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I agree. Make your choices and be responsible for what your choices bring. Don't rely on others to help you because you made the wrong choice.
Well... Not quite what I was getting at. My simple point is that there are lots of ways live, and to cruise. Dissing someone, or indeed idolizing them, misses this key point. If people spent less time insisting that their way is the only way or the best way, we'd all be happier.

... At very least we'd have more productive discussions here on CF.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 20:09   #199
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Well... Not quite what I was getting at. My simple point is that there are lots of ways live, and to cruise. Dissing someone, or indeed idolizing them, misses this key point. If people spent less time insisting that their way is the only way or the best way, we'd all be happier. ... At very least we'd have more productive discussions here on CF.
I don't disrespect the Pardeys. I've stated that I appreciate their lifestyle and choices. I also don't insist that my way is the best as I've never stated what my way is. I've just said that no matter what way you choose take responsibility for it and don't expect help as it's a given if you make a wrong choice.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 20:26   #200
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,431
Re: A "Simple" Boat

Somewhere on this red hot thread someone said TWO AGREEABLE PEOPLE. If being agreeable is not based on ignorance, then nothing else matters as far as simplicity goes. I have done done the Pardys type of cruising and I am done with that, but that doesnt mean that IF THEY AGREE TO IT , that it is not a valid way. ______Grant.
__________________
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 20:37   #201
Registered User
 
Shas Cho's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Near Vancouver
Posts: 103
Re: A "Simple" Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I've just said that no matter what way you choose take responsibility for it and don't expect help as it's a given if you make a wrong choice.
It would be great if folks could respond to the points being offered.
For instance, what about people who carry EPIRBs,
which are designed, sold, and carried
for the express purpose of asking for help?
Is that okay, but asking for a tow into harbour is not?
If so, I'd love to understand why.

- Shas
__________________
Shas Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 21:01   #202
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,653
[QUOTE="Shas Cho;1404831"] It would be great if folks could respond to the points being offered. For instance, what about people who carry EPIRBs, which are designed, sold, and carried for the express purpose of asking for help? Is that okay, but asking for a tow into harbour is not? If so, I'd love to understand why. - Shas[/QUOTE

That's really simple. An Epirb is used in the case of an emergency. Seems reasonable to ask for help. They were asking for a tow into an anchorage because they didn't want to miss cocktail hour? Not a good comparison.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 21:05   #203
Registered User
 
Shas Cho's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Near Vancouver
Posts: 103
Re: A "Simple" Boat

Quote:
That's really simple. An Epirb is used in the case of an emergency. Seems reasonable to ask for help. They were asking for a tow into an anchorage because they didn't want to miss cocktail hour? Not a good comparison.
Seems like your rules are changing.
I thought no one was allowed to inconvenience
or even "effect" anyone else by their decisions.

And this is new information-
Lin and Larry broadcast for a tow
to avoid missing cocktail hour?
Do you know this for a fact?
__________________
Shas Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 21:06   #204
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: A "Simple" Boat

[QUOTE=smj;1404850]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas Cho View Post
It would be great if folks could respond to the points being offered. For instance, what about people who carry EPIRBs, which are designed, sold, and carried for the express purpose of asking for help? Is that okay, but asking for a tow into harbour is not? If so, I'd love to understand why. - Shas[/QUOTE

That's really simple. An Epirb is used in the case of an emergency. Seems reasonable to ask for help. They were asking for a tow into an anchorage because they didn't want to miss cocktail hour? Not a good comparison.
That is a very belittling way to put it, with absolutely no proof that this was ever the reason I bet.

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 21:07   #205
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas Cho View Post
Seems like your rules are changing. I thought no one was allowed to inconvenience or even "effect" anyone else by their decisions. And this is new information- Lin and Larry broadcast for a tow to avoid missing cocktail hour? Do you know this for a fact?
Sorry but you've wasted enough of my time
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 21:12   #206
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,653
It was stated they way in jest. No disrespect intended.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 21:40   #207
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I don't disrespect the Pardeys. I've stated that I appreciate their lifestyle and choices. I also don't insist that my way is the best as I've never stated what my way is. I've just said that no matter what way you choose take responsibility for it and don't expect help as it's a given if you make a wrong choice.
Didn't mean to imply you were a disser, or an idolizer SMJ. And I fully agree; take responsibility for your decision. But there are lots of ways to live, and to cruise. The Pardeys have shown us all one way of going forward. I deeply appreciate the wisdom and knowledge they've shared with people like me. I am bemused that people need to find silly little things to tear them down. But likewise I don't think they should be idolized. They are amazing examples of what is possible, but their choices and methods won't work for everyone -- and that's OK.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 23:26   #208
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,915
Re: A "Simple" Boat

As others have said its just another way to cruise and to be able to do it while maintaining a very small budget. The minimalist cruising lifestyle will never die because it allows dreamers to dream about actually being able to go cruising. When I first went cruising most of the other cruisers were my age or younger with a few older ones thrown into the mix. The boats were simple and much smaller, our 36 footer was a good sized boat back then and the 40's were considered big. We ran into all sorts of boats less than 30 feet that were crossing oceans and people were on really small budgets.

Now there are very few young cruisers out there.

We have mostly old cruisers with big budgets compared to years ago, its kinda a retirement thing but not a voyaging thing. The many with really good budgets put their boat on ships because they are either too old or too afraid of crossing oceans as they move from the Caribbean to the Med. Times have really changed but unfortunately the Young Dreamers are not represented like they used to be and the Pardey's books are really necessary in this day and age to remind young dreamers that, yes, its possible to sail around the world if you would just change your thinking.
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:06   #209
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: A "Simple" Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
As others have said its just another way to cruise and to be able to do it while maintaining a very small budget. The minimalist cruising lifestyle will never die because it allows dreamers to dream about actually being able to go cruising. When I first went cruising most of the other cruisers were my age or younger with a few older ones thrown into the mix. The boats were simple and much smaller, our 36 footer was a good sized boat back then and the 40's were considered big. We ran into all sorts of boats less than 30 feet that were crossing oceans and people were on really small budgets.

Now there are very few young cruisers out there.

We have mostly old cruisers with big budgets compared to years ago, its kinda a retirement thing but not a voyaging thing. The many with really good budgets put their boat on ships because they are either too old or too afraid of crossing oceans as they move from the Caribbean to the Med. Times have really changed but unfortunately the Young Dreamers are not represented like they used to be and the Pardey's books are really necessary in this day and age to remind young dreamers that, yes, its possible to sail around the world if you would just change your thinking.
I agree with your points of how size and age has changed. In the 70s/80's it was a lot of people between the ages of 20-35, with boats 28-35ft. long. Very limited electronics. From California, some were know to navigate to Hawaii via con-trails from airliners overhead. In the anchorage and marina down this way in Mexico now are folks 50-70+ of age on boats 38-50ft. long. Most slips in this marina start at 40ft. long. I credit this change to electronics and the fact that younger people have to work a lot.
In regards to shipping ones vessel back, I know a few who have done that. Not because of fear or age but because of time restraints and financial obligations.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:23   #210
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,915
Re: A "Simple" Boat

Those are all good points "Celestial Sailor" especially the electronics. After GPS came out the cruiser population grew exponentially as it no longer required the type of commitment to navigation that it had earlier.

As to your point about young people working...I'm not sure. I think it may have something to do with a fear of getting a job after returning....something we didn't have to worry about as their we lots of good jobs compared to today.

Either way its nice to see that the odd younger folks are still up for a challenge. I have now slipped into your average age catagory.... well I guess that was awhile ago as well, LOL
__________________

__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates foolishsailor Health, Safety & Related Gear 391 25-09-2015 08:20
No matter where you stand on Obamacare, this is a hoot (MERGED THREADS) peghall Fishing, Recreation & Fun 31 04-11-2013 12:25
Old Teak Deck Condition (considering purchasing) justlooking Construction, Maintenance & Refit 12 27-01-2013 23:18
What is your Favorite Boat? cruiserbill Monohull Sailboats 43 09-04-2012 20:07
OMG ! Clawing Off a Lee Shore in a Gale ! Hogan Engines and Propulsion Systems 432 13-12-2011 17:38



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.