Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 07:48   #1

A Little Rant

I just completed the run from New England to Florida on the ICW. It was a great trip, but there are a few things that really boiled my blood along the way.

1) Boat lettering: There is nothing more annoying when traveling in a waterway like the ICW than a boat with no, or illegible boat lettering. I'd say no more than 50% of the boats that we came up behind had readable names so I could hail them by name. And that's using 7x50, and 10x50 binoculars. I want to call you on the VHF and arrange a nice gentle pass. But it's a lot harder if I can't read the name of your f-ing boat. The USCG has very specific rules for boat lettering. Follow it!

- Put your dinghy where it doesn't block your boat name, or hang a sign on the dinghy. I saw several people who had made nice signs for just this purpose. THANK YOU!

- Put the boat name on the transom, not the sides! I want to see it as I'm approaching, not as I'm overtaking you. I know this is difficult with some sail boats, but at least try.

- And get rid of the fancy stylish fonts. Your "pretty" graphics are f-ing illegible. Save the calligraphy for your party invitations and use big block lettering on your boat.

2) Monitor the f-ing radio. This was less of a problem, but still probably 20% of the boats hailed never answered. Some of the silence was because I couldn't hail them by name. See (1) above. And "southbound sailboat by marker 101" wasn't good enough. And by the way, why doesn't everyone use ch 13 (bridge to bridge) to coordinate passage in the ICW like they do in every commercial port? Doing everything on ch 16 is flat out wrong. It's fine for hailing people who aren't on 13, but in my experience in any busy port all the commercial boats are on 13 coordinating the dance. It works great and keeps noise off 16.

OK, I feel better now. Thanks for listening.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:13   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: A little rant

The boat name does not have to go on the transom - even if that makes you mad. For boats that will be used commercially (charter), the name needs to go on the bow(s). The hailing port must be in block letters on the stern for all boats (which fits your criteria), so you can always call by that.

Get over the fonts thing. That is a legitimate personal styling point no different than dodger color, etc. I have more problems with strange, unusual names than fonts. And "readability" will seem funny to you when you get to a non-English country where the words themselves will be illegible.

You are simply experiencing the frustrations of traveling down the ICW for the first time at an unfortunate time of year. You will be more relaxed in a week, and more relaxed the next time.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38   #3

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Understand/sympathize with your rant, Twisted, but I've only been called twice for a pass even though my boat's name is printed large on the transom. Neither of those were boats throwing up large wakes. Large-wake-making boats have passed closely without the slightest warning (radio, horn, whatever).

I don't/can't go fast enough to hardly pass anyone, and my wake isn't large.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

I'd rather have the MoBos go past at a good clip rather than slowly at max wake speed. After all my boat is used to being bounced about in the ocean.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hudson 50 and Formossa 51

wot a moaner,,,,next be saying they have got the wrong cheese in there fridge, i hope you never have to pass me!
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03   #6

ALL his complaints sound legit to me. I guess he coulda thrown rocks at em to get their attention.
weto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by weto View Post
ALL his complaints sound legit to me. I guess he coulda thrown rocks at em to get their attention.
I suggest a very loud horn.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:18   #8
cruiser

You sound a little "up tight."
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:00   #9

You should try cruising. It's very relaxing.

By the way the first option in a passing situation is your horn. A lot of folks will be confused by it but if you are going to rant did you at least try the official passing signal?

99% of the time if you come up behind and slow down, you can sort out a passing without a lot of trouble even if you can't read the name.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32   #10
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Good rant. All good points. I hope that was therapeutic.

Personally, I hate those squirrelly fonts. Our neighbor's boat was rammed broadside at the mooring by an apparently drunken skipper, and we could not make out the name from less than 100ft away. Sailed away and got away clean.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47   #11

I can add a couple of things. I'm not racing past people. We typically do 8-9 kts, but that's faster than most sail boats and many power boats as well. Eventually I need to pass. I'm just trying to be curtious so everyone enjoys themselves. I have no problem being passed myself, and often am. When that happens I really appreciate the call. Just trying to return the courtesy. When people don't answer, I pass anyway as politely as I can.

For what it's worth, here's the text from the USCG on vessel marking:

"The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated."

So you are correct that marking on the stern isn't required for recreational vessels.

As for sound signals, I think 90% of the boaters out there would think I'm honking like in a car and give me the finger. Unfortunately most have no idea what the signals mean. The only time I have ever been signaled was by an overtaking State Island Ferry.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Twisted,
I think you have a very legitimate complaint. I think we could all learn by it. We don't have the problem here in the islands but I would think it would be a major concern on the ICW.
kind regards,
Old 02-12-2013, 13:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post

As for sound signals, I think 90% of the boaters out there would think I'm honking like in a car and give me the finger. Unfortunately most have no idea what the signals mean. The only time I have ever been signaled was by an overtaking State Island Ferry.
Like yesterday returning eastward in San Pablo Bay, a motorboat/recreational trawler and I were heading directly toward each other. Thinking he would want to turn to port to follow his fellow boaters returning from a club cruise-out (club burgees displayed), I signaled two shorts indicating my request to turn to port. He didn't acknowledge, but he did turn to his port, as did I after seeing his turn.
Old 02-12-2013, 13:49   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Lighten up. Your rant won't change things. Just putt along and enjoy the trip. Many folks motoring on the ICW don't even have a vhf at the helm. Give one toot or two, if they slow down give them a slow pass. If not just keep trucking. I've found that many power boat operators do not know how to do a slow pass. They slow down miles behind you and expect you to stop and wait for them to catch up and then they invariably wake you as they pass.

Some good delivery guys do know how to do a slow pass. Especially if they're in a 50 foot sportfish. Come right up to the sailboat's transom, cut the throttles and coast by, once clear, step on it. An experienced sailor will then cut into the passing vessel's wake.

Have a nice day. Sunny and warm today here in Florida.

Can you read the font?
Old 02-12-2013, 13:56   #15

Boat: Seafarer 38
Unfortunately that is traveling on the ICW. I sort of see it as part of the local conditions, sort of like currents, tides, or coral heads in other places. That said, it's for precisely these reasons I avoid the ICW. In addition to those problems add: often shallower than charted, lots of bridges, and lots of traffic in a confined channel.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote