Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2016, 06:58   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

I realize this probably won't go over well with some of you, but I have been an on again, off again participant here for a number of years. I was thinking about it the other day and decided to write about it.

Voyage Of Symbiosis: A Few Thoughts About Those Online Sailing Forums

Feel free to leave your comments either here or on the post.
__________________

__________________
Voyage of Symbiosis: http://svsymbiosis.blogspot.com/
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 07:52   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

when i started this stuff, it was done, not squawked about.
there were some few books i didnt read, there were neighbors with info--they were interesting, and some info sticks... but there was no interweb facilitation and whiners club.
then there became interwebzzz. some forums/fora were designed with like mineded souls in mind. cars--hay i got one-- meet folks in similar mindsets.
and then there are sailing forums. now we find many questions never before dreamed up.
used to be one walked docks to find boats and spoke with the folks on docks about said boats. now folks query up in forums.
we have turned from going and doing to sitting and squawking.
quite a change.
i prefer the doing part, but we in port repairing, so.......
and occasionally, someone like minaret adds a wonderful bit of info for repairing a boat correctly.
and then there is jeff hartjoy. wow. he did it.
this i can get behind. and with.
__________________

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 22:59   #3
Registered User
 
RKsailsolo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Paul, US
Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Posts: 706
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

Now that I pulled the trigger, I find almost no time to come back to this forum.
__________________
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 23:55   #4
Registered User
 
clownfishsydney's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran
Posts: 305
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

Seems a reasonable article to me. Most forums have extremists, I equate them to religious fundamentalists, their way is the only way and they cannot consider that the way someone else does it may be as good, if not better, than their way.
__________________
Michael and Kelly
Catlypso - Web Site
Lightwave 38' cat
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:51   #5
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I realize this probably won't go over well with some of you, but I have been an on again, off again participant here for a number of years. I was thinking about it the other day and decided to write about it.

Voyage Of Symbiosis: A Few Thoughts About Those Online Sailing Forums

Feel free to leave your comments either here or on the post.

What is the sound of one hand clapping? Congratulations on your spiritual enlightenment. Nirvana is complete. However, there are a great deal of us who have cruised extensively in the past and continue to cruise in the present who believe CF provides an excellent continuing education in matters large and small, intellectual discussions that challenge one's preconceived notions and beliefs and an interesting mix of topics for personal enjoyment. I hope I never experience the feeling, in matters philosophical and practical, that I finally know everything. . . Love and Peace, Captain Rognvald in Lotus position . . . Ommmm . . . . Ommmm . . . Ommmmmmm.
__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:22   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I realize this probably won't go over well with some of you, but I have been an on again, off again participant here for a number of years. I was thinking about it the other day and decided to write about it.

Voyage Of Symbiosis: A Few Thoughts About Those Online Sailing Forums

Feel free to leave your comments either here or on the post.
Will do.

From your blog: "The premise is usually that incident X of piracy justifies carrying a gun aboard. Setting aside attacks off the Somalia coast (of which there have been virtually none since 2009, the year of the Maersk Alabama hijacking that inspired the film Captain Philips), the incidents of piracy at sea are so small as to be almost nonexistent."

December 2015; S/V Sea Wolf [Caribbean, Part 1 of 3 (from 5:38)]:


Three weeks ago; S/V La Vagabond (passage to Galapagos):

Happens often, with many more reported incidents should you care to search.

Throwing cans of corn appeared to work for La Vagabond. Sea Wolf captain states that having weapons on board saved their lives. Do whatever you wish, but we prefer to be armed.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:38   #7
Registered User
 
AnglaisInHull's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sailing Lake Ontario
Boat: Mirage 35
Posts: 508
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

(Perhaps) to the OP's point, this looks like it's already at risk of degenerating into a guns thread.
__________________
My boat is like me. People look, and say "... pretty good shape ... for its age ..."
AnglaisInHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:39   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,371
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
Seems a reasonable article to me. Most forums have extremists, I equate them to religious fundamentalists, their way is the only way and they cannot consider that the way someone else does it may be as good, if not better, than their way.
As long as one always keeps an open mind.
"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." Muhammad Ali
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:42   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
(Perhaps) to the OP's point, this looks like it's already at risk of degenerating into a guns thread.
Beginning on paragraph three of the OP's linked page (his page) he's writing about attacks at sea and guns.

So, I guess ............ you're right.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:59   #10
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I realize this probably won't go over well with some of you, but I have been an on again, off again participant here for a number of years. I was thinking about it the other day and decided to write about it.

Voyage Of Symbiosis: A Few Thoughts About Those Online Sailing Forums

Feel free to leave your comments either here or on the post.
Well you're not alone. I'm surprised I didn't see this thread earlier. Only one line that I disagree with..."To land lubbers, it probably seems like an exceedingly naive query. Indeed, it seems so to most sailors, too".I think a strong majority of CF members are armchair, non sailboat owners. They develop a sense of self importance through a forum. The whole situation is harmless however as I would assume 99% of "I'm going to buy a sailboat and sail around the world with my family", never get the boat.
I've been tempted to print on this forum exactly what you stated on your blog. I never thought of doing it the way you had, on your blog and should have.
Further back in my blog, I did however, map out a path for people to buy an inexpensive vessel and go sailing now. Adventures of Joli' Elle: What you really need to go cruising Or Is this love or boat envy
However, I doubt one new comer found it inspiring.
You were spot on about the "gun thing" and the country that perpetuates it.
I appreciate your starting the thread...CS
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:10   #11
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Beginning on paragraph three of the OP's linked page (his page) he's writing about attacks at sea and guns.

So, I guess ............ you're right.
As I think you are aware...AnglaisInHull is referring to the comments from the right thinking people on this thread.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:35   #12
Registered User
 
TomAndLee's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 62
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

Great blog post. I enjoy hearing the different opinions as I am in the research mode. I especially like advice from those who are actually doing it. That's the great thing about these forums, you take what resonates with you and leave the rest. I have seen many get upset but I guess I just don't understand about getting so worked up over ones opinion. I try to keep an open mind and understand there are many types of people in this world that can open my mind to a different way of thinking.
As a non experienced sailer, piracy scared me before I started doing research. Now, not so much but at the same time because of my fear, I was curious to the gun thing. I have owned guns and been a hunter my entire life. I do not recruit anyone to my way of thinking. I seriously needed more information. However, I will not be taking any advice surrounding it here. The threads on the subject are a bit too passionate for my liking and have come to the conclusion that I will silently make that decision. I am a gun owning American and any assumption about the type of person I am without talking with me first...well your loss because I'm actually caring, funny and quite goofy. I have never fit into a category and I sure the heck will not start now!
I need people like you who are out there doing this deal because that is how I do my research to make the best decisions I can. I am a risk taker and would be fine selling it all and figuring it out along the way. My other half is a planner so until he is ready...I research.
If anything else you have introduced me to your blog so Thank You!
__________________
TomAndLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 08:24   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ireland
Boat: Elysian 27
Posts: 38
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well you're not alone. I'm surprised I didn't see this thread earlier. Only one line that I disagree with..."To land lubbers, it probably seems like an exceedingly naive query. Indeed, it seems so to most sailors, too".I think a strong majority of CF members are armchair, non sailboat owners. They develop a sense of self importance through a forum. The whole situation is harmless however as I would assume 99% of "I'm going to buy a sailboat and sail around the world with my family", never get the boat.
I've been tempted to print on this forum exactly what you stated on your blog. I never thought of doing it the way you had, on your blog and should have.
Further back in my blog, I did however, map out a path for people to buy an inexpensive vessel and go sailing now. Adventures of Joli' Elle: What you really need to go cruising Or Is this love or boat envy
However, I doubt one new comer found it inspiring.
You were spot on about the "gun thing" and the country that perpetuates it.
I appreciate your starting the thread...CS
I've just read your post. Pretty much everything you said matches my plan. At the moment I'm a dreamer. I have a 9 year old kid so I hope to be out of the rat race by the time she's at college age and has less need for her Daddy. Any advice for someone that's thinking of buying a house this year? Cheap market here now. I'm not expecting to get rich from property but if I could cash out in 10 years with a bit of a cushion I'd be happy.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 09:00   #14
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanksy View Post
I've just read your post. Pretty much everything you said matches my plan. At the moment I'm a dreamer. I have a 9 year old kid so I hope to be out of the rat race by the time she's at college age and has less need for her Daddy. Any advice for someone that's thinking of buying a house this year? Cheap market here now. I'm not expecting to get rich from property but if I could cash out in 10 years with a bit of a cushion I'd be happy.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
If you stick with it, for 10 years, you'll probably find you will not need to sell the house but rather rent it out so you have something to come back to. But realistically, a lot happens in 10 years. Think back 10 years and see how different it might look than now.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 09:20   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ireland
Boat: Elysian 27
Posts: 38
Re: A Few Thoughts About The Online Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
If you stick with it, for 10 years, you'll probably find you will not need to sell the house but rather rent it out so you have something to come back to. But realistically, a lot happens in 10 years. Think back 10 years and see how different it might look than now.
Thanks for the response. I'm on the lookout for the right bad house in a good neighbourhood so if I end up stuck in it for 20 years I'll be able to live with it. In Ireland we've just been through a massive boom bust cycle (like everywhere else I suppose) so there is a lot of couples stuck in small 'starter' homes that they have outgrown and can't sell.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Hanksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
forums, rum

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.