Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-05-2014, 13:05   #16

Boat: 2005 Catalina 350
Re: A Day with Destin, FL area Cruisers

East coast compared to the gulf coast. Im just guessing but since the citys starts some where in the middle of Fl and continues to the key west bridge as one ruining city that might be why there's more boaters there just guessing. I sail out of Charlotte Harbor so to far for you but if I was near you I'd be glad to take you out. Keep checking I'm sure some one well give you a ride.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 03-06-2014, 08:39   #17

Thanks for the responses and discussion everyone! I'll keep my eyes on the thread over the next week or two!!

Old 05-06-2014, 07:15   #18

Boat: Hunter 30

Hi. I live in Fort Walton Beach and have my Hunter 30 there as well. My boyfriend has a 30 foot Cheoy Lee in Shalimar, just a few miles from me. We sail almost every and some afternoons during the week. We would love to have you all join us for a sail!! We can tell you what we know and have learned and can try to show you around if you like. Destin is about 10-15 mins away from Ft Walton, depending on traffic. We love for you to join us. Let us if you are still interested. Thanks and enjoy the area!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-06-2014, 09:26   #19

sailingodyssey that's incredible, PM sent!
Old 05-06-2014, 16:48   #20

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

If you have never been there before, you are in for a treat.

The water is so very clear and beautiful. You may not want to leave. Be sure and as them to take you out in the Gulf under the Destin Bridge and past the Jetty on the starboard side.

I was first there in 1995. It happened to be the weekend of the 100 mile Round The Island Catamaran Race. As luck would have it, I was a catamaran sailor from Memphis, TN of all places.

Long story short, I ended up living there and doing that race 5X. It was awesome and something one who was stuck inland for years will always cherish.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:59   #21

Boat: Hunter 30

Yes, weather and waters permitting, we will definitely take them out in the Gulf. It is beautiful out there with the wind in your sails! Actually just last year we were trolling while we were sailing just east of the Destin pass and we caught a nice size King Mackerel - UNDER SAIL!! We pulled him in, motored into the Harbor, anchored out, filleted him and grilled him right there on the boat - we never touched land. It was an amazing dinner, not to mention an amazing trip! I agree, I think they will love it here as well. I warned them about being smitten - especially if they are already thinking of the boat life. They might be spending part of their vacation looking for a place to live - or better yet - a boat! lol I will keep this updated so you will know how it turns out. We are all excited!!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:52   #22

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: A Day with Destin, FL area Cruisers

Beware longtime lurkers! I had my buds at NSA (no such agency) get a bead on Sailingodessey this morning:

Watch yer wives and daughters mates.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:24   #23

tomm225 - You just made me twice as excited to go there, it sounds like it's an incredible place we cannot wait! Another 24 hours and I'll have my toes in the sand and the ocean in my view. The racing sounds incredible, but now I'm cautious in case the area sucks us in! Work would probably frown on me not returning....

Blue Crab - Haha! I've traded a few messages with sailingodyssey, I'm not worried but I appreciate the heads up! Besides, even if I lost the girls, at least I got to go sailing, right??

sailingodyssey - Apparently I'm being defeated by the forum PM system....I can't seem to figure it out! Hopefully you got the note I just sent.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:29   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We will be down in PC thurs night on the 12th leaving the 15th if you want to drop by. Fri, I plan on installing an AC for the fwd cabin, but should be finished that day.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:30   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Apparently there is a race in Destin this weekend, I have an Engineer going down for the race
Old 06-06-2014, 11:38   #26

Thanks a64pilot later in the week might work out really well! I'll have to keep my eyes open for the race also, that'd be another great spot to get some boat exposure I would guess. I'll send you a PM with my contact info. Thank you!!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:43   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A whole different kind of sailing, racers, and usually a completely different type of boat than a cruising boat of course, but certainly a good way to meet people and get exposed to sailing, I'm sure

Tags
cruise, cruiser

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: