Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2012, 15:46   #1

Boat: San Juan 23, DaySailer 17.
A Conclusion

I have come to the conclusion that I may not get to cruise as much as I wanted to. I am a state worker, and the state just pushed retirement age up to 72. I will be fully vested in My retirement in 3 years, but if I retire then. Well I dont think I can live on 700.00 a month.
So I think I will, finish the restoration od My small cruiser (San Juan23), sell it and buy something in the size range of 25-30 feet. Do some lake cruising. Then cruise on My vacations. Retire early, take the penilty. And go enjoy Myself.
Old 24-02-2012, 16:05   #2

Re: A conclusion.

Wow, 72... that's harsh. Do you get Soc Sec also? My Brother in law worked for teh PO for 30 years. retired and died in less than a year. My sister get's NONE of his retirement or med insurance. I guess those govt jobs that looked so good a while back really aren't....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 16:39   #3

The San Juan 23 is a very nice small cruiser, great for long weekends and the occasional week-long trip (I used to own one). Having since chartered numerous larger boats, I will tell you that you won't get any significant advantage over the San Juan in most 25-30 foot boats. You are either going to need to get something unusually large and heavy for that length, or you're going to need to move up to a 30-34 foot boat in order to get a real "upgrade" from the San Juan.

Personally, I would keep the San Juan until I was ready to buy something big enough for living aboard.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 19:08   #4

Mainly Im looking for standing Headroom (at this point).
Old 24-02-2012, 21:30   #5
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: A Conclusion

Well, it sounds like by the time you get to go cruising you'll be hobbling over a walking stick anyway, so I shouldn't worry too much about standing up straight room!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 03:20   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Ya gotta be positive 'bout these things.
Modern science keeps us productive and healthy up to 72. (no snide comments CF's)
--and hey man, ya own a sailboat.
Always start out upwind, makes coming home easy.
Keep the beer cold, or the coffee hot.
Wave at all the girls.
Sit down a lot, headroom won't be a problem then.
Old 25-02-2012, 03:52   #7

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash

There are alternatives if you have an open mind. I have lived in Ecuador for 12 years, and my family of 4 live very well on $700 per month. Eat out probably 7-10 times per week, including house cleaner 2 times per week. There is also a nice anchorage here in Bahia De Caraquez Ecuador. With you owning your boat, there are many more possibilities. There are many retiring expats moving here because the costs of living are so low and they can have a very nice retirement on less than social security. It is not easy to live here, as it takes lots of patients, but I suppose it take lots in the USA also.
Gary
47 Mayotte voyage catamarn
Ecuador
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 04:17   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Rebel, I hear were your coming from and the same is happening this side of the Atlantic too. Sate retirement age now 67 and going to rise again. Pensions rises cut to a lower rate and so it goes on.

Add the changing political situation around the world and the speed it changes I do wonder if those who have cruised in the last few decades have had the best opportunities and that in future peeps will stay closer to home and security.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 06:54   #9

Boat: 50ft mono hull. SOLD!!

72! That is discouraging, in fact that's cruel. I can see a lot of people not even get to retirement age, let alone go sailing when they do get there.
Erik C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 07:02   #10

Boat: O45 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C
72! That is discouraging, in fact that's cruel. I can see a lot of people not even get to retirement age, let alone go sailing when they do get there.
+1

I am pitching for 57. Maybe 55. :-)
But if the economy stays like this 72 will probably more realistic :-(
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 07:24   #11

Boat: csy 37

rebelrek, something doesn't sound right about your statement. i don't know of any state, or country for that matter, where you can't retire before you're 72.

maybe, like my cruising friend, he started working for the state of florida when he was 58 and he had to work until he was 68 to get the ten years needed to get a pension. not the same as being forced to wait until 72 to retire. two other state workers i know here can retire at 60 with full pensions. but they worked for the state most of their lives.

my friend went cruising at 68 with his wife. they sold their race boat (i used to crew for him), bought an old 40 foot cc ketch and sailed fort lauderdale/bermuda/azores/lisbon when he was 68. they spent the next seven years cruising the med and sold the boat in turkey last year. now they're back in fort lauderdale where he bought a hunter 34 and they're on their way up the ditch heading for the great lakes. he's late 70's now.

just maintain your health, get off the junk food, get some excercise (for our age i recommend yoga to keep you limber), and trust to luck. you can do it....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 08:21   #12

It is the way Our retirement fund is set up. Stinks, I know. I live in a very liberal state, that changes the rules at will. I just went thru 4 surgeries on My left arm for nerve and rotor cuff damage. I have lost 30 pounds, and I am back in the gym 3 times a week. I have cut out booze, pop, and most junk food from my diet. I am planning on being around for a long time!!! Have to irratate the Great Grandkids You know!!! I will eventully relocate to Texas, and sail more. just need to get My finances together.
Funny thing. A good Friend of Mine is moving to Ecuador in May. He will be teaching English there. He thinks I should go too!! I just might.
Old 25-02-2012, 08:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C
If you compare to private sector jobs, it won't seem so cruel. Most of us get zero pension and zero job security.
jrambo316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 10:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelreck View Post
Mainly Im looking for standing Headroom (at this point).
I think there are a lot of options without going too big. Dont know how tall you are but Newport 27 has lots of room compared with a SJ23. Catalina 27 also. There are some real bargains on these boats out there now too as well as 30 footers for less than $8k. I just looked at a Newport 27 with inboard diesel (had rebuild papers, not recent), two tillerpilots, GPS, Radar, Head with shower, holding tank, roller furling, multiple anchors, depth/fishfinder, dodger and more. It sold for $3510! Needed some TLC but definitely not a complete project!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 11:07   #15

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

By the time Im alowed to retire, the state age will be 70. Its already been mentioned in various places that many people will be physically incapable of working before they reach state retirement age.
They will have to live off social security which is a darm sight less than a pension