Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 08:51   #61

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Re: A challenge, a mission, one last chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You do know that you don't need to actually respond to every post in a thread, right?

Personally, my take on this is......a 25 y.o. millennial who's disenfranchised with working in the real world and looking for a clever way to convince people to pay for the lifestyle we've all been working decades to achieve.
And how many of us wish we were 25 again, and decided to do something to make cruising a way of life?

He'll figure out a way, one way or another. He's already an empassioned sailor, so he already knows something of what he's getting into and he knows wants to do it.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 09:03   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You do know that you don't need to actually respond to every post in a thread, right?

Personally, my take on this is......a 25 y.o. millennial who's disenfranchised with working in the real world and looking for a clever way to convince people to pay for the lifestyle we've all been working decades to achieve.
No, but I consider it a professional courtesy to those are are offering advice.

And hi! The name's Abottleofrum! I'm a 25 y.o. millennial who's disenfranchised with what people do with their lives, having seen my own father grow too sick to enjoy anything in life, but I've never been shy of hard work. Put myself through uni and watchmaking school with my own savings, graduated without debt, and thats something you can't dismiss.

Donor, no donors, cause, no cause, this is something I want to do. If I can bring a little bit of good into the world by getting Nike or some corporate bigwig to chuck a dollar to my cause for every mile sailed, awesome!

If not, I'll manage. Hopefully, before I'm long in the tooth~ Good thing I focused on my career and education and finances early, eh?
Abottleofrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 09:09   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
"Hence, the need to reach out to you folks; people WITH the personal experience."

Thoughts on crewing an ocean crossing?

Here's why I ask again. I've met several over the years who dreamt of long ocean passages, my father was one of them.

Time went by, his son began living out the father's dreams and the father found himself sitting onboard his son's Hughes Northstar 40 (purchased on a shoestring budget and out there cruising most of the year at a young age) with plans to head from Fajardo PR to FL with a stop in the Bahamas. Downwind work for the most part and fairly straightforward.

He lasted about 10 miles........to be fair it was sloppy out and the weather was so so but......the reality and the dream met.

He did meet us mid pacific and sailed from Tahiti to Bora Bora with us, that was on a catamaran, different animal ;-)

Not to discourage but rather encourage to get some sea miles under ones belt.

I would LOVE to crew and get experienced. But like I've said before, Im in the mildly awkward boating zone that no one has a sailboat, and everyone is in the fishing industry. Im no stranger to powerboats, but nothing like a longer voyages. And other than Annapolis and Chesapeake, Im not quite sure where I could find work.

....that Spain idea mentioned earlier sounds fun though.
Old 14-04-2017, 11:11   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abottleofrum View Post
I would LOVE to crew and get experienced. But like I've said before, Im in the mildly awkward boating zone that no one has a sailboat, and everyone is in the fishing industry. Im no stranger to powerboats, but nothing like a longer voyages. And other than Annapolis and Chesapeake, Im not quite sure where I could find work.

....that Spain idea mentioned earlier sounds fun though.
It depends on where you are, but almost every coastal town ha s some sailing events going on. Picking up and moving across the country for a year to join in the fun is nothing compared to picking up and sailing around the world.

My take on this is that I really hope you live your dream, I got to do mine, and I hope you succeeded. But you need to break it down into discrete steps. If sailing around the world is the goal then learning how to sail has to be the first step. Learning if you like offshore passages are the second, then finding and funding the campaign is the third.

I know people working on step there right now, with stunning resumes, major professional programs as technology sponsors, and even some big dollar corperate cash sponsors already lined up. He has spent a year building cash to launch the sailing attempt, and is still working on lining up more sponsors. It is not cheap to do this type of thing, and sponsorship is hard to get.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 11:15   #65

Boat: a sailing boat

I would mildly disagree with the person being the main factor. I would tend to see the chance as at least as driving.

I would also try hard to avoid my hobbies becoming my way of life. I think it is nice to have something like you know that grandparents' attic where you can go and hide and dream.

I like sailing too much to have mine monetized.

Make money selling pizzas, then get a boat and sail your sabbatical.

Many ways to skin a mono. This one is mine.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 11:33   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
If you're really lucky, he might even talk you out of it.
Very funny! I'm now laughing. By the way, am I the only one here that "smells" something wrong with this thread? A university grad, yet bad English? Searching for bread? Nothing ever ends, does it? hahahaha
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 12:05   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Very funny! I'm now laughing. By the way, am I the only one here that "smells" something wrong with this thread? A university grad, yet bad English? Searching for bread? Nothing ever ends, does it? hahahaha
Would you prefer a picture of me, with a diploma from the University of Stockton, Bachelor of Science in Financial Accounting Degree or the one with me with with my labcoat, sitting at the work bench. I didn't realize that someone wishing to partake in such a noble sport, even if one is walking into it with lofty ambitions, was so humorous. Forgive me if I have any misspellings or grammatical issues; as I understand it, we New Jersians have our own unique twang here as it were.

Rest assured, I desire nothing of yours. Whatever information or wisdom people are kind enough to offer is all I'm seeking. Seeing as your bounty of knowledge is apparently more than anything I can offer, you can ignore me. But if I have a need for whatever you consider of value, Ill be sure to let you know post haste.
Old 14-04-2017, 12:31   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I agree that you need the right boat, but a Bayfield 29 is far from being the right boat. No offence meant to B29 owners but this is not a boat for a serious (non trade wind) rtw. Not really very good for a trade wind one either. The right boat does not need to have a full keel, with a keel hung rudder. Most of the boats we encountered on our travels were not this configuration and they were doing fine. We met some young French people who had taken an older, fin keel 31 footer to Antarctica without a problem. If I was looking for a cheap boat for an adventure like this it might be a Vega, or possibly something like a Bristol 27, although your budget is very, very tight, especially for a Vega.
Thank you. Nothing wrong with a full keel, attached rudder if that's what you like but that is not the only style boat that is safe to sail the open oceanb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
A comment about your route. With the kind of boat you can afford you cannot go around the world south of the capes going westward. The boat cannot do it and a sailor would have to be the reincarnation of Moitessier to even have a chance. Going eastward is a better idea since you will at least be going with the prevailing winds and currents. Note that I said a better idea, not a good idea. This is a huge undertaking and you need a lot more knowledge and experience to tackle it - even with a crew, forget about solo. I have been sailing for more than 40 years, have done close to 50,000 nm offshore and have a powerful, well-built 45 footer that is set up for short-handed, offshore sailing and I would not tackle a roaring 40s circumnavigation since I don't think I am experienced enough. I think Ainia would be OK though.

My only experience with the part of the ocean you are talking about is between Mauritius and Richards Bay, South Africa (actually you would be a bit south of this area, so nastier still). Normal winds were 35 to 45 knots and this was in the middle of the summer with a good forecast. When an average frontal system comes through the winds frequently exceed 50 knots. We were Ok bashing through this crap with our 40,000 pounds, can't imagine what it would be like in a much smaller boat. We had friends in a 33 footer who were hove-to for six days waiting for the right conditions to cross the Agulhas Current, where the sailing directions suggest that waves to 20 m occur.

Sorry to rain on your parade but it would be irresponsible not to do so.
Sound advice. There are plenty examples of totally inexperienced newbies taking off across the ocean. Even for those sailing just to the Caribbean or the Pacific milk run the rate failure is very high. To sail the southern oceans I would say the chance of success would be very small and the odds of a very sad ending very high.

Think of someone that has never had a driver's license wanting to buy a car and drive in the Daytona 500.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 12:42   #69

Boat: Boatless

Fun thread :-)

I'd say move the mouse away from yachtworld and towards ocean crewing opportunities.

Pick up Cornells "World Cruising Routes" and learn best times to be in the Med or wherever to start looking for a boat to join. Get on the ARC website and other rallys.

Again take 2k from your twenty and offer to fly your butt wherever and cover your own expenses then put a big smile on and go for it.

Will be an adventure in itself and you'll learn more practical stuff in those 4-6 weeks than all the books you can find.

You'll also learn a lot about yourself and others.

My experienced advice, which you asked for ;-)

Now that's exciting and can happen soon.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 12:43   #70

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Quote:
Would you prefer a picture of me, with a diploma from the University of Stockton, Bachelor of Science in Financial Accounting Degree or the one with me with with my labcoat, sitting at the work bench.
While I have no way of actually knowing, he (PortClyde) may meant that there is no such thing as a university degree from/in a non-English speaking country, and this may include those nations which have a different dialect than his native one.
Old 14-04-2017, 12:49   #71

Drat! Part of the reason I was gonna do East-To-West was for the Coconut Milk Run too. Nothing like sunkissed beaches to really drive home the concept of cruise life, right? But, you are quite right in the terms of gaining experience.

...I can still do that though later, right?
Old 14-04-2017, 13:24   #72
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Drat! Part of the reason I was gonna do East-To-West was for the Coconut Milk Run too. Nothing like sunkissed beaches to really drive home the concept of cruise life, right? But, you are quite right in the terms of gaining experience.

...I can still do that though later, right?
There is a reason that hundred year old current and wind charts are still being sold. They can tell you month by month where the prevailing winds will be, and where you can comfortably sail next from where you are.

In the Pacific the fastest way from Mexico to San Francisco is probably not going north up the coast, but going west to Hawaii, then north to Alaska, then south. Because the wind and currents are all I need your favor. You could sail North along the coast, but it will be a much more violent trip, and likely slower.

The same thing with going the wrong way around. You can do it... but you have to be just shy of crazy to want to. The other way is faster, easier, and safer.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 13:47   #73

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I would like to make a friendly suggestion that you buy a copy of Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes. It is THE book that shows you the prevailing winds and currents of the world, and details of how, where, and when to sail. I found it to be a great resource, and a source of endless information and entertainment. A few hours with this book and you will have a much better, and realistic idea of the actual routes and places of a round the world adventure.

World Cruising Routes (7th revised edition) by Jimmy Cornell
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 16:01   #74

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

BTW there is another thread here asking about chronometers...maybe as a watchmaker you could make some contributions there.

Maybe also an angle for you voyage...watchmaker sails RTW to benefit diabetes with sponsorship from Rolex.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 16:11   #75

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
I'm still stuck on watchmaker. I suppose there are plenty of them at the factory, but I don't know a lot of people that still wear watches and those that do, didn't pay a lot for them. Sort of like business suits. I wear mine at weddings and funerals. And lately, I haven't worn a suit at either.

There are still folks who buy wildy expensive hand made time pieces...real works of art...you mostly see ads for them in "lifestyle" magazines. Those companies spend significant dollars on advertising...maybe they would be willing to sponsor a watch maker. They have done some high end sponsorships already...whats chipping in $100K to a less costly venture.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote