Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 07:11   #1

Boat: Rhodes 32
'60 Minutes' Interview with Alex Honnold

Anybody else catch the 60 Minutes interview with rock climber Alex Honnold?

Dude: The quirky world of Alex Honnold - 60 Minutes Overtime - CBS News

Inspiring story of somebody "land cruising" and doing what they love. The guy would make a good sailor I think.

Also sorry to see Andy Rooney's last regular show.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:02   #2

Re: '60 Minutes' Interview with Alex Honnold

Interesting fellow. But, of course "doing what you love" is a little easier when you live at home and the sporting gear manufacturers keep sending you free stuff . For most people its just not the reality of their everyday lives. Heading out on a boat also requires a little more gear than a T shirt and rocking climbing shoes. But, he does enjoy what he does and that's the important thing.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:11   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

After 5 weeks with no internet connection we arrived in Port Vila, Vanuatu and were able to see the 60 minutes show with Alex. As a climber (long ago) in Yosemite Valley the things he is doing now is amazing.
I am also amazed at the number of climbers/mountaineers I have met sailing boats. To quote Tilman:
There is something in common between the arts of sailing and of climbing. Each is intimately concerned with elemental things, which from time to time demand from men who practice those arts whatever self-reliance, prudence, and endurance they may have. The sea and the hills offer challenges to those who venture upon them and in the acceptance of these and in the meeting of them as best he can lies the sailor’s or mountaineer’s reward. An essential difference is, perhaps, that the mountaineer usually accepts the challenge on his own terms, whereas once at sea the sailor has no say in the matter and in consequence may suffer more the salutary and humbling emotion of fear.
Mischief in Patagonia
H.W. Tilman
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:20   #4

Boat: Rhodes 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Interesting fellow. But, of course "doing what you love" is a little easier when you live at home and the sporting gear manufacturers keep sending you free stuff . For most people its just not the reality of their everyday lives. Heading out on a boat also requires a little more gear than a T shirt and rocking climbing shoes. But, he does enjoy what he does and that's the important thing.
It sure would help to be a sailing rock star and have West Marine send you free stuff.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 15:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jordan View Post
It sure would help to be a sailing rock star and have West Marine send you free stuff.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Personally, I've got too much stuff on my boat already. But, if some company wanted to give me a free Vesper 850 AIS transponder I'm sure I could find room for it. Perhaps where the Kings 8001 LORAN receiver is located now. Seems that unit has not been reliable for over a year now.