Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 20:33   #61

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: $500 v $5000 a month budget - which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
This situation is going to cause us some HUGE problems in the future. In fact it has already started IMO.

+ infinity, and they seem so environmentally conscious too. I feel sorry for the children that will have to fight that war.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 20:44   #62
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

I hate it when envirotards that tell me my 2 stroke dingy outboard is bad for the environment. With the hours is does per year, the environmental cost of throwing it away and replacing it with a new motor would be much worse. Same story with envirotards that insist on buying a new prius every 2 years.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 21:01   #63

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
I hate it when envirotards that tell me my 2 stroke dingy outboard is bad for the environment. With the hours is does per year, the environmental cost of throwing it away and replacing it with a new motor would be much worse. Same story with envirotards that insist on buying a new prius every 2 years.

OMG, you must be a troll, lol. I've been told for years by the media that the only people who think the way you do are the rich, white males here in the US.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 21:11   #64
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Well the media in the US is a very reliable source!
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 21:12   #65

Boat: Dufour 310

Of you really look at all your costs including day depreciation $5000 per month is not bad. Any lower you are kidding yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 21:56   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
Of you really look at all your costs including day depreciation $5000 per month is not bad. Any lower you are kidding yourself.

After 40 years a boat does not depreciate all that much. Lord knows I could sell mine now for more then I purchased it for 7 years ago. not a lot more, but more. Factor in all the rent or interest utility bills, etc., I've not paid and its the best investment I've had.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 22:15   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post

That's a good way to take all the enjoyment out of it. I never factor depreciation into anything. You would never buy anything if that bothered you at all. If I buy something, that money is gone. I figure that anything I get back for it when I have finished with it, is bonus money. May not be totally rational, but it is surely better than worrying about if it is worth less today than it was yesterday.

Coops.
Old 26-02-2014, 22:28   #68

Boat: Various

I don't think the number is at all what matters. It is if an individual can afford the costs of what they've chosen. If your income is $300 per month then $500 is too much. If it's $4000 per month then it's probably wise to aim for $3000 expenses. And if your income is $30,000 per month then probably ok to exceed the arbitrary $5,000 number shown here.

It's really for each person, on water or land, to live within their means and to make the most of their lives in so doing.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 01:57   #69

Quote:
I disagree. I would say for the vast majority of cases it comes down their WEALTH! You wont see a low income earner cruising on $5K per month, and you wont see most millionaires cruising on $500 a month either. Simple really. So all the rich folk telling the less wealthy how to cruise an vice versa should get real.
So in terms of the question of the thread: which is best?

This suggests the vast majority would say $5000/month is best (ignoring how they come up with $5lk/month). The only reason more people don't spend that much is that they don't have it.

I suspect there is a lot of truth to this. If the average $500/month cruisers woke up one day each month and found $5k on the salon table with a note telling them to enjoy...I'll bet better than 95% would live the $5k/month lifestyle.

Where the $5k/month lifestyle becomes less desirable, is when you have to fund it yourself. By living on less, you can go cruising sooner.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 02:42   #70

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Generally your cost of cruising will reflect your cost of living on land. Not the same, mind you, but a reflection. Do you like wine with dinner when on the hard? Then you'll probably also have wine with dinner on the boat.

We're all constrained by the amount of money at our disposal. But I don't think most cruisers radically change their lifestyles because they have moved on a boat. If you like to go sightseeing when on holiday, you'll rent cars and go sight-seeing when cruising.

I'm with Don on this one. We're budgeting on around $3k per month. We can afford more, but that will cover our lifestyle pretty much..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 03:40   #71
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
What is "The modern problem"? Seriously, I'm curious.
The modern problem is the internet and how some believe if they type something enough times it becomes true.
Old 27-02-2014, 06:14   #72

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
One does not have a "choice" to cruise expensive boats and large monthly expenses if one does not have the money! The choice is, an older smaller boat and frugal expenditure or NO CRUISING...
That's what I'm saying... You can cruise at just about any financial level as long as you are able (and willing) to make the necessary choices.
  • Boat size/type you can afford, not one that drives you into debt.
  • Crew size (single or couple, choice to have kids or not).
  • Cruising grounds (some places are cheaper to live than others).
  • Food choices (rice & beans vs choice meats and delicate veggies).
  • How to manage, and live with, higher risk
  • System options (stuff you can maintain yourself).
  • Places you visit, how you do land travel.
  • Schedules
  • Etc., etc., etc.
Too often I see people not willing to match their reality with their choices. As the saying goes, if you live on a beer budget, then you can't be drinking champaign. Yet we in the consumerist-captalist world are encourage to live beyond our means, to have it all right now. And most of us have bought it (literally), hook, line and sinker.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with budget boats and budget cruising.
And I have never said anything different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Generally your cost of cruising will reflect your cost of living on land. Not the same, mind you, but a reflection. Do you like wine with dinner when on the hard? Then you'll probably also have wine with dinner on the boat.
Exactly
Old 27-02-2014, 06:45   #73
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what i enjoy of the credit card and richie rich part time cruisers is that when they decide to purchase more plastic with their cards and cash, the old stuff is recycled into the lower sailing bodies, aka derelict and brokeass cruisers. you know...those of us living on lower income and under 500 usd most months....i receive all donations and dispo according to who i see has most dire need.
have received dirty 50 amp power cords...lol with one black streak on entire cord..too dirty to use..lol... water hoses...the expensive white ones, was threatened with a newish lowrance gps with all charts for all world...lol...can use that now....lines and such..many things that folks who only use boat part time do not need...

but i see where this could get to being a major problem....could cause wars to begin....oppression of the poor by donations from the rich....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 06:58   #74

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
what i enjoy of the credit card and richie rich part time cruisers is that when they decide to purchase more plastic with their cards and cash, the old stuff is recycled ....

SNIP

The dumpsters at most marinas always seem to have stuff I would never toss out.

Part of it may be from richie rich, but I have also noticed that as folks spend more time cruising they tend to find some of the stuff the put on their boat when starting out is no longer as necessary as they first thought.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 07:15   #75
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

tomfl..i like meeting those folks on their way to dumpster..lol..when you are occupying same dock, they dislike carrying stuff so far....will dispo as they go...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget