Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2014, 17:12   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: $500 v $5000 a month budget - which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Not sure how old sailorchic34 is, but she does not seem to be a couple. I am also not a couple. Still both of us are much closer to $US500/month than $US3,000/month.

Conventional wisdom is two can live as cheaply as one, it just takes twice as much.

So does it really take six times as much for a couple to cruise as for a single person.
Depends on the couple, the boat and cruising grounds I'm thinking Most folks seem to buy more spirits then I spend on food each month. Luckily I'm not much for drinking. Books on the other hand. But then I get lots of my books for free from a book editor friend.

Marina stays seem to raise the cost bar a bit too. Resturants, flying hither and yond, and new boat toy itis, seem to keep the price up a bit. Some need a thousand or two just to fill the diesel tank.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 18:17   #137

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I never have said I thought there was an Ultimate Answer or even a True Dollar Amount. All I've asked is how much are people spending and what type of things they are doing so people can make an informed budget for themselves. If you can find enough real info for people on a boat similar to yours doing things similar to your plans, then you can make a reasonable assumption that it will cost you about the same to do it yourself.
That's what I've been saying. It makes no sense asking "how much does it cost to cruise?" You can only get sensible answers by comparing similar scenarios. There is no single answer. From my reading, people can cruise at pretty much any level. As long as they make the necessary choices, and accept the consequences, pretty much any range is possible. Might not be how you or I would choose to live, but that doesn't make it any less possible.

Quote:
And even though I've taken a LOT of flak for saying I didn't believe the $500/mo stuff I have repeatedly said that I had no problem with others giving it try (I do think they are disillusion though and am not afraid to say it). But I have challenged the low cost people for coming up with a long term budget to support their claims as the lowest one I've ever found with details was around $1500/mo (I disregard all statements that go "I cruised for X dollars" that don't have any cost breakdowns so you can't see what they are or what they are not spending their money on) .
There are a bunch of people here and over at SN who have provided numbers. The problem is, they don't match your criteria so you choose to disregard them, or better still call them delusional. Clearly you already know the answer. You just seem to want affirmation that you are right, and that those that disagree with you are wrong. So go...

Go cruising. Go now. Don't waste your time here. Go. Keep track of every penny. When you get back you can tell us all how you were right. And you'll have your own data to prove it.
Old 28-02-2014, 18:24   #138

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Seems to me you have nailed it. For a retired couple in their 50/60's with a 40/45 ft vessel that $3000 month is realisticly close to the mark.

Many will get by on less and others more.
Exactly. "Many will get by on less and others more." That's the only real answer one can get from all these discussions.
Old 28-02-2014, 18:37   #139
CLOD

Boat: none

putting thread on ignore now, just isn't worth the time to play anymore
Old 28-02-2014, 18:53   #140

Boat: Various

Quote:
putting thread on ignore now, just isn't worth the time to play anymore
Wifey B: But two hours ago you were all ready to play. Did it.....oh......don't feel bad, that happens sometimes. You'll be able to play again.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 19:30   #141

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I was not aware that any $500 were bad mouthing anyone else. Every one has a level of comfort they desire.

Its all good.

Sorry Sailorchic, I had to look, there were 4 posts that did. #8 , 17, 54, 100. I couldn't find any putting down the $500/mo. folks though. If you can point any out I'll certainly review my findings.

The real issue is you called Don "Honey", Can you hear my heart breaking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 19:52   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Sorry Sailorchic, I had to look, there were 4 posts that did. #8 , 17, 54, 100. I couldn't find any putting down the $500/mo. folks though. If you can point any out I'll certainly review my findings.

The real issue is you called Don "Honey", Can you hear my heart breaking?
Gee sorry about that Honey... Sometimes I use Honey instead of a less lady like word. But not with you...
Old 28-02-2014, 20:25   #143

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Gee sorry about that Honey... Sometimes I use Honey instead of a less lady like word. But not with you...

Life is good again.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 21:28   #144

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

If you have a goat you don't need money at all!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 21:50   #145

Boat: Island Packet 40

Hi Sailorchic34, hows the engine going.

$500 per month sounds like a starvation level of living (Yeah I know all about the fishing thing but the place is fished out and they still hang sheep rustlers hereabouts and I've tried dog, cat and road kill and it's not that nutritious) I think you are getting realistic when you get up to about $1,000/month minimum.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 22:06   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Hi Sailorchic34, hows the engine going.

$500 per month sounds like a starvation level of living I think you are getting realistic when you get up to about $1,000/month minimum.
I wish it was a starvation diet, I could afford to loose a few pounds. Gee for a $1000 a month I would live like a queen. Ok a poor queen maybe. Really a $1000 would be more then I need. I would end up saving at least $400 of it. Maybe $700 would be nice, but I'd not want to be spoiled.

The purple engine works like a charm. I'll be using it tomorrow to head 20 miles down river, if the wind is on the nose as it normally is. Today was stuck inside the cabin with the grumpy cat, annoying guys on CF day.
Old 28-02-2014, 22:08   #147
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
If you have a goat you don't need money at all!
I've actually had a few goats once. You still need a little money... for the goat food....
Old 28-02-2014, 22:26   #148

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The old age pension in 'Straya is about 2500 south pacific pesos a month for a couple... that is what they reckon you need just to hold body and soul together and pay your rent/property rates... no allowance for rebuilding a volvo, buying a new mainsail etc.

Anybody who reckons they can cruise on $500 must be living on organic bilge grown mung beans.....

In my case it is cheaper for me to go sailing than stay home ( I spend 6 months on my boat and 6 months at Campo Penguino) .

No ( or at least limited) marina fees when on boat, $10 a day when not on boat.
Cheaper fizz... $15 a bottle for a drinkable vino tinto in Oz... $4 in Chile for the same quality.
I'm not buying toys on ebay or spending mega bux with defender when on the boat.
I'm not driving miles to buy vittles... in northern Chile ( Iquique and Anto) its a walk to the nearest hypermercado... at home its a 100 km round trip.

So my cruising costs are negative...... how good is that!
Old 28-02-2014, 22:36   #149

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I've actually had a few goats once. You still need a little money... for the goat food....
Sheesh, SC, in California you can get folks to PAY YOU to have your goats eat their weeds and Poison Oak... how's that for a way to fatten the cruising kitty (and perhaps develop a taste for Goat tacos)?

Cheers, and keep up the good work. I think that you are doing so very well in a hostile world. Good onya, mate!

Jim
Old 28-02-2014, 22:49   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sheesh, SC, in California you can get folks to PAY YOU to have your goats eat their weeds and Poison Oak... how's that for a way to fatten the cruising kitty (and perhaps develop a taste for Goat tacos)?

Cheers, and keep up the good work. I think that you are doing so very well in a hostile world. Good onya, mate!

Jim
I could be a goat madam, pimp that goat. Goat poo is tough on the gel coat though. ;-). Pimping cats doesn't work either... sigh. Another great money maker down the drain.

Tags
budget