Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2016, 07:49   #1

2nd 3rd 4th thoughts

Well we have officially sold our acreage and plan to move to BC at the end of july. Is it normal to be having second thoughts on the decision we have made, lots of sleepless nights worrying about not having a home ,worrying about is it the right thing to do for my daughter etc etc, I think we just need a little encouragement from those who have done this and haven't regretted it. Our plan is to liveaboard in BC for a year or two until we are ready to head south on a 3-4 year trip. We are really excited but also terribly scared.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Chriscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 07:58   #2

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: 2nd 3rd 4th thoughts

It is normal to have second thoughts on big decisions!
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 08:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscook View Post
............worrying about not having a home ,worrying about is it the right thing to do for my daughter ....
Don't confuse a HOME with a HOUSE. Apartments, Condos, Boats, RV's all can be considered HOME, if that is where you live.

How old is your daughter?

How have billions of nomadic people survived for thousands and thousands of years?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 09:39   #4

Hi shrew, my daughter is 8 years old

Old 24-06-2016, 15:25   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Don't confuse a HOME with a HOUSE. Apartments, Condos, Boats, RV's all can be considered HOME, if that is where you live.
+1

My boat is my home. And vice versa
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 16:00   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It is always scary to make major life decisions, accept it. If you can, try and re-frame it as excitement. The change will be mostly fun, with some problem solving along the way. All good.

Your daughter will be fine, if you and your good lady have good parenting skills, and can handle the education aspects. All the cruising kids we've met over the years were fine, except for two whose parents failed to set limits on their behavior. The most highly successful were the parents who provided regular school work 3 hrs. per day, in the morning and normal cruising experience after the schooling and chores were done.

Ann
Old 24-06-2016, 16:04   #7

Hi Ann yes I'm sure we'll be fine once we get going, my daughter has always had chores on the acreage so she will still have the same, we do plan on being regimental with her schooling, thank you all for the words.

Old 25-06-2016, 09:11   #8

We are currently doing the same thing. Selling our overly large house, moving aboard a 44 foot sailboat, with the purpose of eventually relocating to a place on land near the water when we can no longer sail easily. And then get a smaller boat to toodle around on. Meanwhile we are getting rid of all this excess "stuff", with the intent of living more cheaply and easily onboard while exploring and having fun and adventure while we still can. And no, it is not easy making this transition, but we don't want to say later: "why didn't we do this while we could have?" Retiring and sitting around is boring. You in particular are in a very lovely and great location for sailing. We have been there there and envy you. DO IT!!
sailorjed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 09:16   #9

Sailorjed3 that is exactly how we feel and thanks for the post that's what I need to hear. Cheers

Old 25-06-2016, 09:21   #10
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

There is nothing like a learning experience about life and the many options available to a young child.
She will learn so much about math, science, living, geography, etc...just by being in a boating environment. She is very lucky to have such adventurous parents.
Safe travels !!!
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 09:31   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

For me part of the charm of the live-aboard life is the flexibility to relocate as the mood strikes. Staying in the same location has little appeal vs the comforts of a modest apartment and a small daysailor for less money. With kids the issues change. When mine were school age a priority was stability and a stable social environment. Kids need friends as much as they need education and a mobile lifestyle is difficult. The military recognizes this and works hard to offset the family problems with some success. Parents need to think hard about this. Academic excellence via homestudy is only one thing kids need.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 09:35   #12

You don't say where you are moving from...? BC is beautiful, but grey and damp like here in WA too for many months a year. I think the key is to just don't worry about long term decisions, it helps relieve some stress also.
-Buy a boat, live aboard, have fun. You are not locked in to sailing the world, in fact you could spend a decade exploring the waters of BC.
-Get some sea time and knowledge under your belt and make the next decision when appropriate. Maybe you wont even like the lifestyle, maybe you will love it.
-Too many get in a hurry to get a boat and head down the West Coast. That can be a real dream killer and marriage killer too.
-take it day by day, year by year.
-Have you considered the East coast instead? It's an easier coast in some ways and the Caribe is not the long long distances of the Pacific.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 09:52   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscook View Post
Well we have officially sold our acreage and plan to move to BC at the end of july. Is it normal to be having second thoughts on the decision we have made, lots of sleepless nights worrying about not having a home ,worrying about is it the right thing to do for my daughter etc etc, I think we just need a little encouragement from those who have done this and haven't regretted it. Our plan is to liveaboard in BC for a year or two until we are ready to head south on a 3-4 year trip. We are really excited but also terribly scared.

Once you have made the transition your only regret shall be 'why didnt we do this years ago?'
We sold everything in 94' and commenced cruising full time in '95. Kids came along (four in total) and we continued sailing with some interludes on land that enabled us to establish a passive income. Our children were educated on board and the eldest, twins, are entering 'varsity this year having excelled so far. One of the biggest benefits are the childrens ability to communicate positively with just about anyone. They are used to poor fishermen/villagers to senior politicians that we have met whilst cruising. The children have a quiet confidence about them and have had vast experiences that land children rarely get. It is not just my own children that are like this but just about every child that we have met that has several years cruising behind them.
I believe you are equipping your family for a better way of life all around. Best wishes.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 10:03   #14
Marine Service Provider

Chiming in from here, too! just rented our house with a 5 year lease...selling the condo...and working away on the boat with the intention of sailing to Mexico, leaving September..I KNOW that feeling of second guessing, not really able to make a long range plan and letting go. My wise mother in love said to us once when we were facing a decision..just do it. You can always change your mind later....or not. And that is what we are doing now..It feels GREAT to lighten the debt load and get rid of all those things we haven't even LOOKED at for years. And it IS a process so give yourself time and "room" for the emotional transition and learning to be comfortable with the unknown. We are 60 and 62 and part of our motivation is "time" Good on you for doing it NOW!
P.s. anyone on the BAJA HAHA 2016?? Love to connect!
Donna Melville
Northwest Passage, Gabriola Island
NaturalPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 10:16   #15

Man, it's gonna get crowded up in BC, we're moving there next week! Do they know we're coming?

You did fine, it's expected in all major moves.

But, more importantly, think back to how and why you made the decision in the first place.

"Things" are just that.

HOME is where you & your family are.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote