Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 21:10   #76

Boat: John Traylor - Cutter Rigged Sloop - 65'
We did find a middle ground and he finished the electrical work on the boat. I bought the parts he needed ahead of time and I pitched in and helped. He talked everything over with me as we did the work. It was a learning experience as well...so his teaching time was valuable too.

Total labor was about $2300 for the work he did to fix the screwed up install by my first electrician.

On the first electrician, I spent $1300 on the labor to install our new AC/DC panel, about 32 circuits, and to install the inverter/charger which he did a poor job of.

We will retain our expert electrician to get our engine driven refrigeration system up and running again, as he seems very knowledgeable in that area as well.
MoonlightSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 21:33   #77

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Excellent!

I once worked for a guy who should probably be in jail. Almost nothing that I learned from him was by good example, rather it was all a lesson in how not to do business. He told me a couple of good things, however, and one was- Steve, if you explain it to them they will understand.
I've used that so many times to resolve difficult situations. If you can just talk about it (calmly) you can usually see the other's side of it and they can see yours and it will all work out.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 22:17   #78
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
My Summary

MoonlightSailor… you have had a very good learning experience and based on your original question asking our opinions about Subcontractors, here is my summary of what you should have learned:

Minimize costs by doing your homework and networking for subcontractor advice:
You had a brand name Inverter under warranty… why not call the local dealership, explain the problem then ask their advice on someone reputable to remove and re-install it under warrantable repairs? Ask other boaters for their subcontractor recommendations as the best ones will have loyal customers.

Educate yourself on any major work needed to be done by interviewing Subcontractors on the “Detailed scope of Works” their time estimates for what they physically see and ask 2 key questions…
if this were your boat would you do anything differently to either save money or do a better job?

How can I help to save costs?

Assist by prepping the area, handing tools, post work cleanup: But do it quietly so he can concentrate on his work.

Keep a discrete log of Time worked on board ….But realize there are additional time costs.

At Final Bill, if happy with the work and the price…round up that final invoice as a way of thanking him: but if you feel the price is a bit high based on your own calculations, explain your feelings and ask him to clarify that price.

If he stands firm then graciously pay him and win his loyalty and support if ever you needed an emergency fix.

Support the good ones even if they do cost a bit more as you say, it is peace of mind when you are out there and having a good subcontractor familiar with your own boat and your standards is a priceless commodity.

Hope that helps
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 23:13   #79

You made a deal. Stick to it. Maybe you are wiser now.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 21:02   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Well, it's good that it worked out and your are satisfied enough to use the man again. It's also good he sees fit to work on your boat again.. A win win in my book.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 12:31   #81
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
My father and I are 1 year from starting our cruising and I'm fed up with contractors who don't do expert and ethical work.
Wait until you start cruising and discover the "island time" work ethic for boat repairs. You will learn to be thrilled at a 2-day turnaround! I'd have given the guy a cold beer as a thank you.