Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-02-2011, 14:01   #16

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier trimaran, Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Re: Yacht Importation into USA

Sail 69

Do you know where we can look this pay-half-the-import-duty part of the law so we can verify with the authorities when we attempt this?

Old 21-02-2011, 15:12   #17

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
So, why wasn't the duty paid when the boat was USCG documented? My understanding is that documented vessels do not have to clear customs. Instead, a Report of Departure or Arrival is made to the customs office, and a permit is signed by the captain.

All boats returning from a foreign country must report in. you may even be assessed a custom sticker $35.00. never fail in doing this. penalities can be severe. you would most likely just get a warning but it goes on your record. (never a good thing). If you are returning from ports in the carribbean they do not fool around. any question, call the US customs . They will happily answer them for you. be candid with them. ask them how you can avoid duties, they will give you an answer.
as you all know; they do not entertain questions when checking in. training!! but they are very co-operative on the phone, training again!!

Old 21-02-2011, 15:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlindahl View Post
Sail 69

Do you know where we can look this pay-half-the-import-duty part of the law so we can verify with the authorities when we attempt this?
Make a phone call to US customs, they do not try and trick you or hide this fact. you must ask!
Old 21-02-2011, 15:23   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor richie View Post
Thanks.....OK...So then a survey is required....This should be interesting, because the survey might cost more than the tax...due to the complexity of the systems which are mostly all in malfunctioning condition. Well, fortunately my cruising permit is good into the Summer, not that I could cruise in boat's current condition. Anyway, its seems now that the world as we know it will end on May 21, 2011. So I will not concern myself with the survey at this time..thanks again for your help. I was thinking maybe I could straighten my affairs out before casting lines.
If you just want a survey to ascertain the value, you can ask for a insurance survey, a lot cheaper then a owner's full boat survey. you may need to call around to find a surveyor who will understand this. btw surveyors are not lincensed. nearly anyone can be a surveyor. they have a certification process but that is pretty informal.

Tags
yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: