Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2010, 07:54   #1

Boat: Albin Vega
Working While Cruising

Hello all!

I've been wondering, since many of more limited means work while cruising, what would be a useful skill to develop/acquire with that in mind? Would a scuba instructor certificate be of any use? Or perhaps bartending skills?

If you could share some personal experience you've might have had, that would be of great value as well.
Asmodeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 08:16   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeane
Hello all!

I've been wondering, since many of more limited means work while cruising, what would be a useful skill to develop/acquire with that in mind? Would a scuba instructor certificate be of any use? Or perhaps bartending skills?

If you could share some personal experience you've might have had, that would be of great value as well.
Yes, one must be multi skilled in lots of things especially living on a budget, stretching a dollar, discipline to save, and a host of many other things to afford such a lifestyle. As for myself, I work a month on/ month off rotation in the merchant marine, which offers great compensation and allows me the flexibility to cruise then fly to work to keep the dream alive and money beast happy. That's just my situation, I know there's thousands of others out there. Good luck!
Muzzey9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 08:20   #3

As one who hires/buys from cruisers, number one is write a book I can't put down and as Plan B, learn refrigeration and bring your gauges, or electricity and bring your multimeter.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 12:31   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day all,

A couple of considerations:

First, are you talking about within your country of origin or "going foreign"? If foreign, there are restrictions on working ashore... the equivalent of the "green card" in the USA is required essentially everywhere in the world. Some places police this rigorously, others not so. Cruisers sometimes manage "under the table" employment but there is risk involved for both parties. Others work for other cruisers for cash and generally escape the local work restrictions.

If you only consider local cruising, I suspect that one needs to look at the specific areas in question. Dive instructors are likely more employable in Florida than in Alaska, for instance!

When Ann and I started out cruising our finances were such that we planned to work along the way. I have a background that lends itself to doing work on others boats, and I thought I'd pick up a few bucks doing such things. What I found is that in the tightly knit cruising community the other cruisers are your friends, and I found that I couldn't face charging them for help. Ann is a psychologist and counselor by training, and she also thought of helping out with those sorts of issues within the fleet. Turns out that one should be licensed for such practices in each state (US) or country, and that the ethical issues involved made her forgo the work.

So, deciding on a skill to develop for cruising employment is tricky! One universally acceptable is writing. Doesn't seem to step on any toes, the necessary tools can be carried about even in small yachts, and the customers are accessible via the internet. We know several yotties who augment their kitties this way.

Anyway, good luck with your plans...

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW Oz southbound
Old 18-12-2010, 12:45   #5

Boat: 40ft Morgan Sloop - Voyager
I agree with the "internet" trade. Finding some for of economic stability is a great way to keep working when you can access it. Radio repair and installation skills are also a plus