Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2011, 19:05   #1

Which Boat . . . Choices, Choices . . .

Hi all,

My name is Joe and I am very new to this site. Hi to everyone.

I have after 25 years of thinking about it and 13 years of convincing the other half finally been given the go ahead to buying a boat.

My dilemma is which boat?

Being Melbourned based I dont want to limit my options to just here and I am considering buying whereever there is a good deal.

My plan is for a offshore cruiser (mono) around 40-45ft. Seaworthiness, COMFORT, speed not big issue but appreciated are my main priorities.

Some people say Ferro for the space and comfort but poor resale.

My budget is under 100k and I know i can get something. I am very particular about the lines of the boat and the interior being well kept and attractive enough to present to my other half, I cant afford to get that look if you know what I mean.

I have one shot to impress, so I am asking if anyone out there knows of a good boat worthy of looking at and why. No Ketches please.

So in summary, Safe, Comfy, Sexy, clean & tidy and doesnt take too much stress to look after is the go.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, if need to more know more about what my needs are then ask away. Your opinions and help will be greatly appreciated.
Joey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 19:12   #2
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Are you stuck on that size range? I cruised happily on a 33'er with a loved one for 6 yrs before she passed. Much less money involved and we were never lacking for creature comfort.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 19:29   #3

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
When you say comfort, what exactly are you referring to? Comfort underway (good motion), or comfort at anchor (which usually means space)?

Generally, a light displacement modern boat with a wide beam & a lot of form stability tends to have a quicker, less comfortable motion in a seaway. On the other hand, it has more space.

As for ferrocement, I would say if you're buying used, the resale value is the other guys' problem at this point.
Old 13-02-2011, 19:35   #4

I dont really know why but ever since I started this dream years ago it was always going to be a 40-45 footer that i was to sail on. Whether it is the right choice of boat I dont know but my plan is for a family of 4 to go sailing up the East Coast of Australia and maybe one day onto New Zealand. I have always lived in a little more space than I need, not much more but enough to breathe

I will listen to any advice from anyone who has a valid reason for choosing one boat over another. I am new and have been convinced before with valid points.
I just want to buy a nice boat, expose my family to short sails and gradually build their confidence to taking the big trip.
Old 13-02-2011, 19:38   #5

Good point in regards to comfort.

These are things I need to learn and now I understand. If there was both it would be great but if there was a choice then sailing comfort would be the go.
Old 13-02-2011, 19:50   #6

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey26 View Post
I dont really know why but ever since I started this dream years ago it was always going to be a 40-45 footer that i was to sail on. Whether it is the right choice of boat I dont know but my plan is for a family of 4 to go sailing up the East Coast of Australia and maybe one day onto New Zealand. I have always lived in a little more space than I need, not much more but enough to breathe

I will listen to any advice from anyone who has a valid reason for choosing one boat over another. I am new and have been convinced before with valid points.
I just want to buy a nice boat, expose my family to short sails and gradually build their confidence to taking the big trip.
For what it's worth I have been browsing boats in the 40 foot range and find that they seem to average about 70 to 80 thou. U.S. They range from average to slightly above.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 20:23   #7

Get the boat you (she) want(s) to be seen arriving on. That's as good a rule as any.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 22:00   #8

Everything I want in a boat seems to be pointing to a Ferro, Big, Strong, Roomy, Comfortable then tell me why I am scared to buy one.

Is it all the negative vibe, can the boat actually explode and put my family in danger?

The boat I am looking at is a Fijian Hartley and after speaking to the owner I somehow believe in his words.

95k for a ferro seems a bit expensive but he assures me that I am gettimg alot of boat, best of every thing and roomy comfort. Even has a bathtub

Hmmm looks like I have some thinking to do, i would hate to waste this opportunity.

the boat:
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...3%204294894298
Old 13-02-2011, 22:56   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Risk v's Reward...

There should be nothing inherently wrong with ferro cement. The relatively low price recognizes the risk.

Your lack of comfort suggests that maybe you need to do lots more research?

If you do become comfortable then you'll be needing to find a surveyor who knows ferro. There can't be too many of them round...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 02:57   #10

If I can ask, what are your thoughts on Glass Ply.

I am assuming Glass Ply is Ply Wood covered in Fibreglass, am I correct.

Not there is anything wrong with it but is it like having a wooden boat?

Is Glass Ply in the same line of benefits from a Fibreglass boat?
Old 16-02-2011, 03:37   #11

Anyone out there that offers mentoring/advising services for a modest fee.

Someone who will ask the hard questions and help look over a inventory of a boats that I find.

I reckon I am pretty close to knowing what I want I just don't know what is a fair deal or not.
Old 16-02-2011, 04:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey26 View Post
Anyone out there that offers mentoring/advising services for a modest fee.

Someone who will ask the hard questions and help look over a inventory of a boats that I find. I reckon I am pretty close to knowing what I want I just don't know what is a fair deal or not.
A good broker will provide that service. But that's a poor option to being able to ask and answer your own questions. And the only way you'll be able to do that is by exposing yourself to experience over time.

The best way to do that is start small and work your way up. Hang around boatyards, crew at the local club, buy a cheap 23 footer and learn by sailing it like crazy.

You can ask boaties on this forum and you'll get the full spectrum of views. Ferro, steel, glass, one stick or two (or three), one hull, two or three, chain or nylon rode, CQR or Rocna - we're all seriously opinionated and we're all right, in a way.

But we are not to be trusted with your hard-earned

FWIW, my advice is to keep your money in the bank while you build your experience and your own biases.

And then buy a ferro with two sticks
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 04:28   #13

Thanks for your post and advice At Sea.

I know I should start small but the reason I never bought a smaller boat was because I always wanted my cruising boat from day one. Its just the way I am, I am hard headed and when I have something in my head it just sticks. I almost did achieve it 13 years ago just before I met my lovely wife and met my 2 beautiful children, god bless them but as most know those events have slowed many dreams.

I am happy to say that I have never lost the dream and its time to flourish now and grab that opportunity that is within reach. What is so much better is the family is keen and I now have people to share it with, now that's fantastic . Out of all the wonderful things I have achieved nothing is more important than this one (besides a loving family of course). I am petrified and excited of what lays ahead and the on coming years or planning and getting to know the boat will keep us all very busy.

But for now I must make sure it happens and find the boat that suits my needs. Don't quite know what you mean about the Ferro with 2 sticks or whether that was a bit of tongue and cheek but I reckon I have settled on Steel as my choice. Its affordable and by reading the forums its not as bad as I first thought when it came to maintenance.

I have always been intrigued with a Roberts and 25 years ago when the dream was to build one, it was the Roberts 44 that I chose. So maybe the answer has been with me all along it just took a little time to come out
Old 16-02-2011, 04:38   #14

Okay, best of luck cobber. Sounds like you'll manage just fine. Ferro and steel are the best cruising boat materials; glass is only good for sprints around the cans...
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 04:45   #15

Boat: looking
Hi, Joe, welcome aboard!

Although not a big fan of Ferro boats myself, I thought I'd give you a couple of links of ferro boats in my area, so you could gauge the value of what you're looking at. These boats are the other side of the marble from your location & one is a ketch, but they should help with your comparison. The 3rd link is to a site owned by a couple who sailed a FC from Vancouver, Canada, to Davao City, Philippines, via the South Pacific & NZ. They are big fans of FC boats & would be worth talking to.

1975 Herreshoff Napier Custom 44 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com $44k(usd)

1973 Custom Hartog *Bluewater Ketch* Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com $99k(usd)

Sail Samal Homepage

Hope this helps & best of luck in your search!

Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote