Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2011, 04:48   #16

Check with an insurance broker about getting a policy for a ferro hull. I've heard it can sometimes be a problem to get them insured.
jstarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 04:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Hi, Joe, welcome aboard!

Although not a big fan of Ferro boats myself, I thought I'd give you a couple of links of ferro boats in my area, so you could gauge the value of what you're looking at. These boats are the other side of the marble from your location & one is a ketch, but they should help with your comparisons.
The Hartog is amazing and it's also amazing value but with a 300 gallon tank you'd need a couple of grand in your pocket every time you pull up to the fuel dock. Ouch!
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 04:56   #18

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Nothing wrong with ferro as long as it was built properly. I own one a Samson cbird 37. I would recommend them to any one you get allot of boat for the money. And no they will not blow apart and put your family at risk.
Happy sailing
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 05:05   #19

There is more to consider with this boat than the hull material. My question is this: is this a live-aboard? You do not seem to say so directly, but you are talking generally as if it is. Is this going to be your primary residence? If you want to sail on the thing once in a while, and every once in a while do a couple month cruise, I would have to second the suggestion to go with something smaller and lighter. But if you this will be your primary residence -- if keeping it up is a good part of your everyday life whether you sail off to NZ or not (and if you are good at this sort of thing -- then I think going for it sounds like an incredible (and probably completely wonderful) adventure.
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 17:58   #20

Just out of interest anyone got a view on this boat

What do you think your thoughts and opinion count

Oceana Yacht Brokers - Boat Inventory - FREE SPIRIT
Joey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 18:53   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Boracay was gently suggesting that spend some more time learning before buying. I'll second that, and underscore. A mistake often made is to find a boat you love before you've learned about what you need.

Is there a sailing club within easy distance from you? If so, I rather strongly recommend you do that for awhile. You can take classes and get experience on a variety of boats. That will teach you empirically in a way that forums, even ones as good as CF, just simply can't do.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 19:18   #22

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
For a modest price there is a great cruising boat yacht designer who offers his services to critique boats as you want. He also cut his teeth designing ferrocement boats. One of his Benford designs ('73) sits right across from my boat as we speak. He also posts on this website occasionally. I believe he charges $500 for the service, but I'm not sure about that. Try: Robert Perry Yacht Designer on google to contact him. I've always found him fair and knowledgable.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 19:32   #23

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Looked at the Hartley, I looked at a Hartley 46 Ferrocement boat a couple of years ago, totally different. The boat you're looking at seems pretty good cockpit. Tankage is a little lacking for the size of boat. Nice lines. Price seems a little high if it's US dollars, if Austrailian, I don't know the exchange rate. We paid $74500+tax last fall for our 45'. Newerengine,rigging,masts,sails and little use.fyi Myself, I'd be a little concerned with this type of construction, I'd want to do a little homework on the builder.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 11:16   #24

Boat: Westsail 32
Every boat design, fabrication material, sail plan, keel type, draft, etc., has a long list of pros and cons. Every boat owner has made the absolute best choice in the aforementioned (just ask 'em).

My gut feeling is that you have invested far too much time into "dreaming" and far too little time into "researching". My best suggestion is for you to spend a reasonable amount of time determining how you intend to use the boat and then a significant amount of time reading. When you do so, choose your references from various authors. You will soon find that no two agree, but only by this research will you be able to formulate your own best alternatives.

If you choose to make such a decision based solely on the recommendations from current boat owners, please contact me... I have some swamp land in southern Florida for sale that would a great place to dock your chosen vessel. (I can also put you in contact with a good divorce attourney.)

svDrifter
svDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 01:01   #25

Well I have read and absorbed the advice from so many help people and really put some thought into what was said.

After a nice long drive I came to the conclusion that I agree with starting of small and less expensive in order to get my family to love the idea of sailing up the East coast of Australia rather than just follow me.

Maybe right now even though my wife has given the go ahead I dont really think she understood that if we bought now I would want to go now. A bit like when they give the go ahead to build a boat, they sort of dont really understand that it is a 5 year project not a 12 month thing so the stories I read go any way.

So with the kids in their early teen years and sport and everything, i feel its best to ease the family into it.

Main goal is to make sure I buy the boat and USE IT!!

So the idea of a less expensive and somewhat smaller boat say a 33 footer sounds great, but I still have the dilemma of which one.

I have seem a Comet 10 which looked very very nice but everything related to water was manual operated and no holding tank. How do I have it in a marina if thats the case. But every thing else was very nice and a nice looking weekend or coastal. No aft cabin but still nice.

Lets see where this ends up
Old 18-02-2011, 01:48   #26
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Joey26, may I ask why you want to limit yourself to a mono? We have a mono and love it, but if your a first time cruiser you might have better time in a cat.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 02:01   #27

My perception are Cats are great but far more expensive. I sailed a Cat in the Whitsunday's and I must admit it was awsome. I just felt that it was much more affordable to buy a good mono than an average cat.

Just as I was reading this post I did however see cat for AU$69k. It didnt look too bad at all, might go check it out. I am a bit fussy about the lines of boat and it needs to look not home made. That's just me I suppose, but I really do need to love looking at her as much as sailing her.

Its just a vision I have always had and like "Drifter" said I have been doing a lot more dreaming than research but I can honestly say one thing, I am closer today than I was a week ago thanks to input from this site
Old 18-02-2011, 02:02   #28

I think you're being wise Joey26 but now I'd urge you to join a club before buying a boat.

Marinas are just boat parking lots and you won't learn much from others there. But clubs are full of boaties falling over themselves to offer advice and the wisdom of their salty years.

In clubs, you will be invited to crew in races and even maybe on cruises. You will get to know a helluva lot about boats in a short time, and that will greatly assist the purchasing plans.

Also, there are always boats for sale in clubs which are not listed with brokers. You will likely be able to buy with more confidence within a club (because other members will know the boat) and both you and the seller can save the 15% broker's fee.

The club membership fee is worth every cent imo, especially for those just starting out. Allabest.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 02:27   #29

Will do "At Sea" that is a good suggestion. Down to the local club it is, buy a few rounds and the rest will happen.
Old 19-02-2011, 01:12   #30

We have talked about materials and whichever way I go it seems it all has its pros and cons, from all the info and research I have done so far it all comes down to 2 things, how it was built and whether or not it has been properly maintained by the owner.

How about a Ketch, anyone sail a Ketch and is it much different?

Saw this beautiful Compass 33 Inovator Ketch, even has a roomy aft cabin. and condition looks very good.