Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2010, 05:12   #1

Boat: Maxi 77
Where to Look for Info on US Boats

This is probably not posted in the correct forum, but mods are free to move it if there´s a better one

I´m more and more leaning towards sailing in warmer climates but:
a) My boat´s is a bit small to sail from the inner lakes of Scandinavia to say, USA.
b) Boats are expensive here, and needs a lot of work/money to to prepare for the big seas and US seems to be like way below half price for the type/size I´m looking for (29-32ft mono)
c) How far can a seller (in general) be trusted as regards to shape etc, if I choose to fly there to take a look.. Dont wanna arrive to a wreck, really...

So, I´m looking at craigslist etc to find a suitable boat at a good price already in the US. But, since so many of the boats common in the US are really "never-heard-of" here in Sweden I really am sailing in the dark when it comes to the various makes and models. Here we have a site called www.sailguide.com where you can find opionions and facts around just about every boat ever been sold new in Sweden/Scandinavia. Images, owners opinions, cold facts etc.. So, my question right now is, Are there any sites like that, that applies for US?
KillerBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 05:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hi Killer... 1st let me say your Maxi77 is quite capable of making it to the Caribbean... as long as everythings in good shape...
However if your looking to buy a boat in the US you could do what I did when I bought my old Hunter37....
I checked out likely boats on www.yachtworld.com and www.sailboatlistings.com...
I found areas of 'Density of Boats for Sale' then worked out the cheapest flight/destination to the area where my 'favourites' were...
Then it was a simple case of fly n buy... after looking at boats in the NY area I ended up jumping on a plane to New Bern NC and Oriental where I bought the boat for 25K.... or 12K GBP back then.
But be prepared to have to do some work on her... there's more 'Shabby Owners' than proud ones... beware the boat overloaded with electric goodies... the owner has interests other than "THE BOAT".. better to go with minimum extras and a sound boat.
They're the ones who have the 'Status Price' on their boat... often wide of the reality price...lmao.
Another thing to bear in mind on here is the mindset of the US disposable culture... makes them see crap where we (Europeans) can see gold....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 05:59   #3

Boat: Cape Dory
sailingtexas.com has owner listings that often don't show up on the bigger sites (and it isn't just texas boats -- the name iis confusing)
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 06:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hi Killer... 1st let me say your Maxi77 is quite capable of making it to the Caribbean... as long as everythings in good shape...
However if your looking to buy a boat in the US you could do what I did when I bought my old Hunter37....
I checked out likely boats on www.yachtworld.com and www.sailboatlistings.com...
I found areas of 'Density of Boats for Sale' then worked out the cheapest flight/destination to the area where my 'favourites' were...
Then it was a simple case of fly n buy... after looking at boats in the NY area I ended up jumping on a plane to New Bern NC and Oriental where I bought the boat for 25K.... or 12K GBP back then.
But be prepared to have to do some work on her... there's more 'Shabby Owners' than proud ones... beware the boat overloaded with electric goodies... the owner has interests other than "THE BOAT".. better to go with minimum extras and a sound boat.
They're the ones who have the 'Status Price' on their boat... often wide of the reality price...lmao.
Another thing to bear in mind on here is the mindset of the US disposable culture... makes them see crap where we (Europeans) can see gold....
Thanks for the advice, I´m looking on those sites too It´s amazing how much boat you get "over there" in comparison to Sweden... Seen a couple of Pearson 35´s priced less than what my M77 in Sweden.. Leaves me with a decent amount of cash to upgrade electronics, rigging etc, and still come out both cheaper than here AND having the boat on site. Sailing from here to there with my current boat is quite possible I guess, but I´d need new standing rig to feel comfortable doing it, along with some improvements on the cockpit self drain, windows companionway hatches etc, so it´s really not a (financial) option, Sure, I can go around Europe and the Med with lesser improvements, but that´s not what I´m aiming for

No advice as to where I can get cold facts, presented by a 3rd part? Like boat capabilities etc. Not just the "It´s a great boat, I have one" or "It´s a wonderful boat, I´m selling it because..", but more like pro´s and con´s of each make/model..

I+m kinda loving the Pearson 35 tho.. someone please stop me before I buy a boat just out of passion
Old 13-10-2010, 06:41   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

The Pearsons are great boats.... to find out more just do a search on the maker/model and you'll find owners associations galore for most US makes...
Cape Dory, Pearson, Triton, Tanzer, Hunter, Colombia... the list goes on.
Usually there's full info on models and spec's...
get that browser working... lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 07:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The Pearsons are great boats.... to find out more just do a search on the maker/model and you'll find owners associations galore for most US makes...
Cape Dory, Pearson, Triton, Tanzer, Hunter, Colombia... the list goes on.
Usually there's full info on models and spec's...
get that browser working... lol
Haha, ye but being used to sailguide, I´ve gotten lazy. One site for all boats giving specs, owner comments and also incl a list of all (reported) sales over the last few years along with prices and usually a couple of survey protocols, giving you an idea of what to look for on specific boat models.
Btw, found a swedish Albin Cumulus 28ft at yachtworld. priced at 1/4 of the cheapest one available in Sweden. Siiiick, I dont want to live here any longer
Old 13-10-2010, 07:07   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
BoatUS offers boat reviews from Jack Hornor, NA:

Here ➥ BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A.

Including:
Alberg 30
Alden 44
Bayfield 32
Beneteau 323
Beneteau 44 CC
Beneteau Ocean 350
Beneteau 38
Bermuda 40
Bristol 29.9
Bristol 35.5
Bristol Channel Cutter 28
C&C 35
C&C 99
C&C Landfall 38
Cabo Rico 38
Caliber 33/35
Camper Nicholson 35
Cape Dory 28
Cape Dory 33
Catalina 320
Catalina 27
Catalina 30
Catalina 36
Catalina 42
Catana 431
Cheoy Lee-Pedrick 41
Colgate 26
Com-Pac 23
Com-Pac 27
Ericson 35
Ericson 38
F24
Flying Scot
Freedom 30-32
Frers 33
Gemini
Gozzard 36
Hans Christian 33
Hunter 260
Hunter 410
Hunter Legend 35/35.5
Irwin 37
Island Packet 31
J/24
J/30
J/35
J-105
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 36.2
Little Harbor 46
Marshall 18 Sanderling
Morgan 38
Morgan Out Island 41
Newport 28
Niagara 35
Nonsuch 30
Nor'Sea 27
O’Day 34/35
Pacific Seacraft 37
Pearson 28
Pearson 30
Pearson 35
Quickstep 24
Sabre 28
Sabre 34
Seawind II
Stone Horse 23
Swan 36
Tartan 3500
Tartan 37
Valiant 40
Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Westerly Centaur 26
Westsail 32
West Wight Potter
Whitby 42
and more ...

Here ➥ BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 07:16   #8

Boat: Allures 44
Of course you can search for reviews in many sailing magazines. For a collection of online reviews that are helpful and concise, I like Bob Perry:

Sailing Magazine | Perry on Design
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 07:17   #9

Boat: Cape Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBoo View Post
Btw, found a swedish Albin Cumulus 28ft at yachtworld. priced at 1/4 of the cheapest one available in Sweden. Siiiick, I dont want to live here any longer
Haha. But when you get here you'll realise that americans are just poor -- we don't make near as much as you. Not a bad place to buy a boat the past few years though . . ..

As for specific US Boats, those Jack Horner Reviews that Gord pointed out are a decent starting point. I still think that at the end of the day, you can't take subjectivity and passion out of boat ownership or reviews or opinions. You know what kind of boats turn you on . . . narrow it down to a handfull and then start asking lots of questions. And, enjoy the hunt.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 07:33   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Some boatbuilder histories & profiles, by Steve Mitchell (from Good Old Boat magazine)

The Birth of Fiberglass Boats
Good Old Boat - The Birth of Fiberglass Boats article

Catalina Yachts: One big family
Good Old Boat - Catalina Yachts article

The Pearson Era (a history)
Good Old Boat - The Pearson Era article

Each month Good Old Boat magazine profiles a boat, followed by a comparison (by Ted Brewer) with 2 other similar boats.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 07:41   #11

tyvm all. Now I´ve got something to work with
Old 13-10-2010, 07:41   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41
This is where I started if you are looking for a blue water boat it is a good place to begin. Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote