Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2009, 12:27   #1

Where to Keep Cheap in New Jersey a 46' Pacemaker?

HI

i do not know anything about boats

we are getting a 46' Pacemaker in NJ

I would like to know where I can keep the boat for the all year

could be land or water

the cheapest way in NJ, Better in North ersey, or Central Jersey

Please let me know if this is is the appropiate place for this thread or if it belongs to another sectin
thanks alot
newjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 13:10   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Sorry I cant help with your question, but Im curious as to why your getting a boat but admit to knowing nothing about them
Old 31-07-2009, 14:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Sorry I cant help with your question, but Im curious as to why your getting a boat but admit to knowing nothing about them
maybe you curiosity is for another thread
I try to keep this in topic
I would like to know options in NJ where to keep the 46 Pacemaker
Old 31-07-2009, 14:21   #4

My guess is the further you get away from NYC the cheaper. So Central Jersey should be cheaper than North Jersey.

But if you really don't know anything about boats, you are asking for trouble, because you almost certainly will be spending more on this boat than you need to.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 15:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
But if you really don't know anything about boats, you are asking for trouble, because you almost certainly will be spending more on this boat than you need to.
I know
I have to learn very quickle
the boat is in goog condition
the marinas that I called .they are asking arounf 5k for the summer season and 3k for the winter with winterized
I am looking for a cheaper different option
or anyone knows about a cheaper marina or maybe a slip in a town house community?
Old 31-07-2009, 15:05   #6

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
#1 - You were rude to Anjou. You're not paying us to answer you around here...

# 2 - Is the boat mobile? You will pay $2000 + to have something like that trucked around NJ

#3 - Of course on-land storage is cheaper. If you don't mind the boat being on land, then in the water isn't worth talking about.

#4 - Where exactly is the boat? These things don't just fly around, now do they?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 15:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
#1 - You were rude to Anjou. You're not paying us to answer you around here...

# 2 - Is the boat mobile? You will pay $2000 + to have something like that trucked around NJ

#3 - Of course on-land storage is cheaper. If you don't mind the boat being on land, then in the water isn't worth talking about.

#4 - Where exactly is the boat? These things don't just fly around, now do they?
#1 I am sorry , I did not have the intention to be rude with Anjou
I apoligize, maybe my language barrier, made it sound like this
I will answer Anjou

#2 the boat is in goo working condition

#3 I would keep it in land

#4 Boat is in a Marina in North Jersey
Old 31-07-2009, 15:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
anjou

Someone donated the boat to us
Old 31-07-2009, 15:16   #9

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
There are several inexpensive marinas on the Delaware river around Trenton, NJ... whats the best price you have found? Will you be using the boat often?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 15:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
There are several inexpensive marinas on the Delaware river around Trenton, NJ... whats the best price you have found? Will you be using the boat often?
I would no be using the boat, only very little in the summer

As I told you, I founf 5k plus 3 k, I also saw Belmar ,marina, they charge also like 5 k summer and 1 k winter plus winterized. I saw this price in their web site
then I saw an ad of someone in Waretown who has a boat slip in a private community, asking like 2.500 for the summer season,but I do not know winter
Old 31-07-2009, 16:11   #11

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjersey View Post
HI
i do not know anything about boats
we are getting a 46' Pacemaker in NJ
I would like to know where I can keep the boat for the all year
could be land or water
the cheapest way in NJ, Better in North ersey, or Central Jersey
Please let me know if this is is the appropiate place for this thread or if it belongs to another sectin
thanks alot
Hi mate, a former Ft Lee resident here ... with more than my fair share of "friends" in Newark and Hoboken

I might be forgiven for thinking you will be wanting to use it somewhere along the Jersey Shore perhaps?

If so, simply Google New Jersey Marinas and/or New Jersey Boat Storage, then pick up the phone and start making calls. Decide where you would like to be, the respective costs, then perhaps seek input on this site and others about the places you have identified.

That aside, don't let my "Jersey friends" know where you plan to keep it!

William aka 'The PIRATE'
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 16:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
If so, simply Google New Jersey Marinas and/or New Jersey Boat Storage, then pick up the phone and start making calls. Decide where you would like to be, the respective costs, then perhaps seek input on this site and others about the places you have identified.

William aka 'The PIRATE'
this is what I did , but the number of marinas is tremendous
I am looking for someone from New jersey who might now of specific places with a better price
Old 31-07-2009, 18:48   #13

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Jersey, You've already gotten great answers....

NJ;
My reccomendation would be to contact the brokerages and have 1 of them LIST it for sale. They'll keep it at a slip right at their brokerage often for free.

Why list it for sale? Unless You're planning on HIRING a professional Captain to do Your driving, these are (& YOU ARE) a train wreck waiting to happen. After You take transoms off 6-10 neighboring vessels in departing or docking, You'll be looking for a NEW marina anyway(as balance of membership will be seeking Your Head on a Stick), as well as insurer...if You had 1 to begin with; they aren't real big on writing Policies on GIANT Boats, with clueless owners.
No Offense NJ, but You (& this 46' Pacemaker) are a disaster in the making. Not that it was on the agenda for this summer anyway, but could You post up here where they splash You so we can all stay far & wide?

Sell it and pursue something far more appropriate for a "1st boat" in scale & size...since it was a donation, that's much smarter.
Anjou had a gr8 question, Your answers drew my conclusion.

A twin screw(usually matched to a PAIR of Detroit 8-71's on these) 22 ton 15' beam vessel w/a 4.25' draft is not a STARTER boat.
Your "blowing off" of the initial question, & thereafter "blowing off" responsive answers (as if You expect us to say "go here, they're CHEAPEST") tells us this boat is a real bad fit for Your personality, & the rest of the boating community at large. Sell it.

-Mick
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 23:09   #14

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjersey View Post
anjou

Someone donated the boat to us
Well thats fantastic. I hope your new interest is one which captures your heart and you get a lot of fun and enjoyment.
Old 31-07-2009, 23:10   #15

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmick39 View Post
NJ;
My reccomendation would be to contact the brokerages and have 1 of them LIST it for sale. They'll keep it at a slip right at their brokerage often for free.

Why list it for sale? Unless You're planning on HIRING a professional Captain to do Your driving, these are (& YOU ARE) a train wreck waiting to happen. After You take transoms off 6-10 neighboring vessels in departing or docking, You'll be looking for a NEW marina anyway(as balance of membership will be seeking Your Head on a Stick), as well as insurer...if You had 1 to begin with; they aren't real big on writing Policies on GIANT Boats, with clueless owners.
No Offense NJ, but You (& this 46' Pacemaker) are a disaster in the making. Not that it was on the agenda for this summer anyway, but could You post up here where they splash You so we can all stay far & wide?

Sell it and pursue something far more appropriate for a "1st boat" in scale & size...since it was a donation, that's much smarter.
Anjou had a gr8 question, Your answers drew my conclusion.

A twin screw(usually matched to a PAIR of Detroit 8-71's on these) 22 ton 15' beam vessel w/a 4.25' draft is not a STARTER boat.
Your "blowing off" of the initial question, & thereafter "blowing off" responsive answers (as if You expect us to say "go here, they're CHEAPEST") tells us this boat is a real bad fit for Your personality, & the rest of the boating community at large. Sell it.

-Mick
Hey Jersey, don't listen to Mick's recommendation (and I'm being polite by calling it a recommendation). Where he lives they all need a nurse to remind them to take their medications.

Everyone would be so blessed as to have a boat such as this one "left on their doorstep". For example and in line with Mick's assumptions, the answers to such questions as:
  1. what if any boating experience do you have?
  2. do you even like the water?
  3. do you know anyone who can assist in "learning the ropes" of this small ship?
  4. since the prices already quoted to you seem to brought "tears to your eyes" , can you afford to maintain a small ship like this?
are none of anyone's business, as you simply asked and emphasized you seek berth advice, not hobby coaching

On the other hand and in line with Mick's assumptions, if the above questions are in one way or another relevant to your true situation, perhaps you might want to take the above questions on board?

Personally, if I wasn't a "boat person", and something like your vessel came into my life, I would most certainly "give it a go" and see if I would really like it .... though I would also make sure I had someone who is maintenance knowable and also someone experienced skippering always on board until I did "learn the ropes".....
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new jersey