Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 13:21   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmick39 View Post
Did You call any Yacht Brokers to find out who they recommend for Putting it in charter service? Done Locally, You could STILL "Use" the boat, a captain would be provided,(Deducted Out Of Your PROFITS for the month) and even fuel would be covered (again out of those profits).

In Charter Service, they take care of ALL the maint., dockage, fuel, INSURANCE (w/YOU as principal loss payee), etc. They make the money and pay You half, or thereabouts (some pay more, some pay less...point is they PAY YOU to rent out Your boat, while THEY provide a captain/crew for the "renters" whether daily, weekly or somebody want's it for a MONTH....what do YOU care, You're GETTING CHECKS?! In 3 years it's all Yours anyway & between now & then, this is Better than Free...You get PAID. (<-yes, consider that shouting...I'd be all over getting a CHECK for $10-$20 THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH...but that's just me?)
i did not find any charter service yet
Do you know some?
newjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 16:30   #32

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjersey View Post
I do not want to cheat anybody
he is not looking for a good home . He could have sold it
He wants to give it to us, and he wants that we should use it
I just do not want that him, to keep paying the boat slip
This is probably too obvious to be relevant, but if the old man has owned the boat, and wants you and your family to use it, perhaps he's a good reason, a good intention. So, why can't HE teach you about the boat and be your tutor, as it were. I guess there will still be the maintenance cost issue, but I'm sensitive to the last wishes sort of story.
Old 05-08-2009, 17:00   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A charter service is just like a slot machine: Someone is guaranteed to make money. Usually, the house.

I still say, karma gonna get you, if you try to play weasel words that still cheat the old man.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:25   #34

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Thumbs up He's figured out the answer, he needs to keep searching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
A charter service is just like a slot machine: Someone is guaranteed to make money. Usually, the house.

I still say, karma gonna get you, if you try to play weasel words that still cheat the old man.
Agreed!
However throughout this thread, NJ has admitted
1-Loves the water
2-Wants to enjoy ownership of a boat
3-Didn't even have a remote grip (but was getting 1) as to cost of "care & feeding" of a 46' Pacemaker;

Focusing on 3...
Dry Storage (here in FL where we have zero "winterizing costs") is $7.a ft. avg. $7. x 46 = $322. x 12 = $3864. That's $11,592. plus whatever they charge for stands (ea.), sales tax, enviromental impact fees, DNR Fees, etc.

This doesn't include registration & other yearly state fees which may or may not be required, the costs to return to service ("de-winterizing", etc.) & that's the absolute cheapest to just sit it on the hard & look at it for the next 3 yrs. Triple to quadruple those money #'s IF it goes in the water & stays there (don't we ALL Know!).

The underlying theme throughout this thread (w/o anyone saying same) is that this would probably be a financial hardship on NJ. IF You can't afford to "keep it up", You can't afford to USE it, & You probably shouldn't obligate Yourself to financial disaster in the making...while the vessel, what was sought, will be lost (& possibly much more) in the end.

Contacting Charter Service Companies (via recommendation from the Yacht Brokerages) allows the opportunity to SEE what the real costs would be (while SomeBody Else is Paying them) and still net out some InCome from that BigAzzed boat (which could even be saved for when the time comes to use on a permanent basis by NJ).

What do You do when someone "Gives" You a LIMO? Contact the LIMO Companies & find out who will pay You the most for use of same for next 3yrs while paying insurance & upkeep expenses, especially if the donor requires that You NOT SELL IT during that period. You don't PARK IT in the driveway as a lawn ornament.

Best analogy I could think of.....
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:26   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

mick, I wasn't party to the original conversation, the "deed of gift" so to speak. So I have no idea what the old man said. From what I read, which is all I have to go one, it seems like the old man wanted the three boys to USE THE BOAT. Not make use of it, not rent it out, not sell it, but to actually USE IT AND GO BOATING. And that he expressly didn't want them to use it as a money-maker, i.e. he forbid them to sell it.

So just going on that? If I were in their shoes I'd have to say gee, I really appreciate your generousity, but I can't accept the offer. I'd try to work something out, maybe even ask him about charter solutions, but first and foremost I'd have to simply say "I can't accept the offer, I can't afford the upkeep and don't have the skills."

Florida boating costs--on or off the Gold Coast--are of course a world apart from NJ. As would be so many of the issues involved. Starting with, in NJ they'd have to take and pass a state boating certificate course before they'd be allowed to operate the boat. No more grandfathering in NJ, even for out of towners.

And no ICW to make the bar runs--you can easily lose a boat that size trying to run a number of the inlets in NJ. Not to mention, routine twice-daily tides that could really flummox a Florida boater looking at chart depths. :-)
Old 06-08-2009, 15:53   #36

I would like the idea maybe to bring it to Florida
The old man knows that I am looking for a place to keep it , and even to storage it in dry land.
He knows that right now I am not going to use it, b/c I do not have the money to use it properly.
Old 06-08-2009, 16:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
. And that he expressly didn't want them to use it as a money-maker, i.e. he forbid them to sell it.

. :-)
he is not against to use it as a money maker
In fact , he told me that one solution for me was to rent it out to lower the cost and keep it in water
Old 06-08-2009, 17:12   #38

Ads - All Ads*-*USA Boat Slips

hey!
I found this web site of boat slips

could you help me to find a good place(combination of price and safety)?

I selected all boat slips , from 40 to 50 feet , the show up 208 options
Old 06-08-2009, 19:15   #39

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Did You contact the Yacht Brokers YET?

As for the post immediately above, NJ/Eric, I'd start off by sorting geographically for what's closest to either You or where the boat is, then price, and so on?

Before I started that "slip selection" process I would have called EVERY Yacht Brokerage in the state and asked them WHO they refer buyers to, who want to put boats in to charter? When You hear the same name several times, from different brokerages...there's Your confirmation?

Pick up the phone next & call them...they usually have THEIR OWN "Docks/Slips" & take possession of the vessel once the agreements are all signed....You get a Check every month, or at least spring summer, early fall....& best of all.....NO BILLS; meanwhile You can when the boat ISN'T Chartered out...get some lessons from 1 of their captains at surely discounted rates as You have a TOOL for them to make $$$ with.
Killing multiple birds with this singular stone covers all the concerns You formerly had, while returning $$$$ to Your pocket(s) instead of Leaving them bare of all but that "lint" while trying to keep this fine gift?
I wish I could sit down, make all the calls, talk to the brokers, talk to the Charter Companies, make the decisions, sign the documents...Eric, I can't, It AIN'T MY BOAT!
IF You want it, do this little bit of work to EARN it.
I would...Hell, I'd Take my vacation from work for the YEAR to get this deal DONE. I'd take my SICK DAYS too....
Do You MAKE $80k a year?
If not, then consider QUITTING YOUR JOB TO GET THIS DONE IF NECESSARY!
I would.
But that's just me, & no, neither I, nor any other member of this board should "do this for You", OR make "recommendations" as to the best/cheapest/nicest etc. whether Marina, Yacht Brokerage, OR Charter Service Company, as these NEED to be YOUR decisions...transferring the "blame" to us when You trusted OUR Advice is wrong.
Sucking it up, tightening that belt, and DOING what NEEDS to be DONE(or not) will determine whether You wind up keeping this fine vessel or not.
It's just that simple.
Don't expect AnyBody to do this for You.
The "old man" is testing You to see if You'll grow a set (or not)...I'm beginning to think.
Considering the caliber & value of the "Gift", I'd get off my duff and MAKE IT HAPPEN if I were You...I just am not You and can't do it For You.
No Offense intended & I hope none taken...
Here's a clue:
www.yachtworld.com
Scroll down to "search", click in Pacemaker (for Mfg.), plug in 46' for length, from & to & hit "enter"...
Try not to DROP YOUR STINKING TEETH when You see what it's worth, fair enough?
Maybe that will get You inspired?
-mick
-Mick
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 19:58   #40

captmick

this is why I am trying to keep it .The engines have only a 1000 hours

I talked to some places, and they told me that bareboat rentals are in the Caribbean, others they deal with newer boats, etc
Old 06-08-2009, 20:42   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

nj, no matter what you do will be a substantial investment. Even moving it to FL will not be inexpensive, whether that is by truck or sea. Storing a boat in FL also can be worse than storing it in NJ--insurers don't like hurricane season, and mildew and rust can eat a boat very quickly in the south.

As mick suggests it is not a cheap gift...but traditionally, captains were quite literally "married" to their boats, and this is a high maintenance wife. Whether that's the right one for you three guys--and if there's three of you, you may also want to draw up partnership papers because "**** happens". (Old navy saying.)
Old 06-08-2009, 22:05   #42

hellos

I know, it is very expensive, and the money that could be saved having it in Florida, will go in Insurance and depreciation of boat value

But. the question is , how much would be the value of this boat in 3 years
IF i keep it well,I mean real sale value
Old 06-08-2009, 22:15   #43
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, you never said what year the boat is or how it is equipped. With that information you can get some idea what the boat is worth now, and what a three year older model is worth now. Subtract the difference and unless the market keeps tanking...in three years your boat will be worth more or less what a three year older boat is worth on today's market.

If the condition is kept up. Which isn't going to happen without constant work, no matter how you do it. Insuring a 46' boat, for guys with no previous experience in that category, is going to hurt too. And chartering isn't a certainty...if they don't take care of the boat, three years in charter trade can put 12 years of wear and tear on it. And, the charter company can go broke and leave you with one very used boat to recover from their inventory.
Old 06-08-2009, 22:24   #44

it is from 1978
I see ppl asking many different prices in these vessels
and one thing are asking prices and another is actual selling prices, maybe also broker's fees etc
Old 07-08-2009, 00:33   #45
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

All true. But you, or a broker, can find out the supposedly real selling price--not asking price--from the BUC Book. Considering comparable model, condition, location, and market fluctuations.

If you aren't up on boats, a surveyor and broker can be very good investments. But that still leaves the other larger problems, like how you guys are going to learn boating and boats and feed and care for that thing for three years.

Tags
new jersey