Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 18:59   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmick39 View Post
NJ;
My reccomendation would be to contact the brokerages and have 1 of them LIST it for sale. They'll keep it at a slip right at their brokerage often for free.

Why list it for sale? Unless You're planning on HIRING a professional Captain to do Your driving, these are (& YOU ARE) a train wreck waiting to happen. After You take transoms off 6-10 neighboring vessels in departing or docking, You'll be looking for a NEW marina anyway(as balance of membership will be seeking Your Head on a Stick), as well as insurer...if You had 1 to begin with; they aren't real big on writing Policies on GIANT Boats, with clueless owners.
No Offense NJ, but You (& this 46' Pacemaker) are a disaster in the making. Not that it was on the agenda for this summer anyway, but could You post up here where they splash You so we can all stay far & wide?

Sell it and pursue something far more appropriate for a "1st boat" in scale & size...since it was a donation, that's much smarter.
Anjou had a gr8 question, Your answers drew my conclusion.

A twin screw(usually matched to a PAIR of Detroit 8-71's on these) 22 ton 15' beam vessel w/a 4.25' draft is not a STARTER boat.
Your "blowing off" of the initial question, & thereafter "blowing off" responsive answers (as if You expect us to say "go here, they're CHEAPEST") tells us this boat is a real bad fit for Your personality, & the rest of the boating community at large. Sell it.

-Mick
thank you
I really would like to sell it ,b/c I do not know anything about boats, but the old man who gave it to us told us , that we can have it ,if we wanted it, but not sale it like for 3 years
I would like even to find someone responsible, and knowledgeable to have it for 2 and 1/2 years, if he mantains it well, and then sell it in 3 years or so
I do not think that a broker would be interested in have it for 3 years

any more ideas?
newjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 19:10   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
what if any boating experience do you have?
  1. do you even like the water?
  2. do you know anyone who can assist in "learning the ropes" of this small ship?
  3. since the prices already quoted to you seem to brought "tears to your eyes" , can you afford to maintain a small ship like this?
On the other hand and in line with Mick's assumptions, if the above questions are in one way or another relevant to your true situation, perhaps you might want to take the above questions on board?

Personally, if I wasn't a "boat person", and something like your vessel came into my life, I would most certainly "give it a go" and see if I would really like it .... though I would also make sure I had someone who is maintenance knowable and also someone experienced skippering always on board until I did "learn the ropes".....
thank you
1- I like the water

2- I do not have anybody to teach me how to use it I only have a friend who had a boat many years ago, but he does not have too much time

3_ I cannot afford 8k for Marina plus insurance, plus maintenance plus to hire someone to teach me. i would prefer to storage in land and not to use it , but I am affraid if in this way, would brake,and thwen not have value or something like this

I think that captain MICK is right, it is too much boat for me
I do not know even how to turn it on
Old 01-08-2009, 22:04   #18

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
Hey Jersey, don't listen to Mick's recommendation (and I'm being polite by calling it a recommendation). Where he lives they all need a nurse to remind them to take their medications.

Sovereign, not all in FL need a nurse, nor are on meds. Most of us don't have selective senility by choosing to ignore/not read the former statements by the OP, IN HIS OP (& thereafter) as follows...

Everyone would be so blessed as to have a boat such as this one "left on their doorstep".
I would consider myself blessed to have a DoN PRUDHOMME Top FUEL 2000HP Rail Dragster left on my doorstep also...doesn't mean I or most sane people are going to grab a used helmet from the pawn shop & head for the local drag strip either? There's an equivilant example;

For example and in line with Mick's assumptions, (<actually there weren't any "assumptions" based on reading the entire thread?)the answers to such questions as:
  1. what if any boating experience do you have?(asked & answered by him, 1st posting, knows nothing about boats)
  2. do you even like the water? (yes)
  3. do you know anyone who can assist in "learning the ropes" of this small ship? (no, that as stated was why he was here)
  4. since the prices already quoted to you seem to brought "tears to your eyes" , can you afford to maintain a small (<in relation to USCG Cutters, or USN Cruisers perhaps?) ship like this?(seemed obsessing over the lowest possible price, when previously researched figures[by him, including a mere 1k for winter storage & winterization seemed 'too high'?] draw Your own conclusions...having enough money for fuel [even on one of these behemoth's] isn't hiring a captain, obtaining insurance, having a grip on maint. expenses, etc.)
are none of anyone's business, as you simply asked and emphasized you seek berth advice, not hobby coaching
Sovereign, did You ever see "Caddy Shack?/Back to School?" never seen a newbie at the throttles & wheel of a 46', 25ton 15'beam & terrifies everyone in the marina from the second the engines fire up? Down here (rather than "downunder") it's a regular occurrance.
On the other hand and in line with Mick's assumptions, if the above questions are in one way or another relevant to your true situation, perhaps you might want to take the above questions on board?
Being "overwhelmed" by the sheer number of marina's available and not wanting to make a decision on which 1 to go with (not that we have such problems down here) pretty much sealed the fate of this thread. IF he can afford a captain & other maint. experts, he demonstrated a distinct lack of desire to pursue same when responding to Anjou originally, and didn't even think it rude to blow someone else off here asking "WHY" You're seriously thinking of "breaking in to boating" with a vessel of this size until Christian pointed out to him that it was a pretty fair question?

Personally, if I wasn't a "boat person", and something like your vessel came into my life, I would most certainly "give it a go" and see if I would really like it .... though I would also make sure I had someone who is maintenance knowable and also someone experienced skippering always on board until I did "learn the ropes".....
Sovereign, perhaps in NZ, these vessels (or those this size, give or take a few tons or feet LOA) are a dime a dozen; up here in the US, they aren't. Less than 3% of all boats are this size or bigger in the powered category. "Learning the ropes" is challenging for twin screw diesels(or gas)& it takes a bit more than a US Power Squadrons or USCG Aux. "Safe Boating Course" to grasp more than the most basic fundamentals.

People DIE in our state, and even in NJ, when the inexperienced take vessels like this out with little (or in this case ZERO) experience or knowledge. It's rarely the behemoth's operator who's the fatality(s)...it's the folks who couldn't get out of the way fast enough.

Starting smaller is most practical for 99% of the boat owners, who're smart enough to admit they don't know, what they don't know. Hopefully NewJersey will join their ranks, or as You suggest, hire that captain & keep him/her around a while.
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 22:16   #19

Here's some thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjersey View Post
thank you
I really would like to sell it ,b/c I do not know anything about boats, but the old man who gave it to us told us , that we can have it ,if we wanted it, but not sale it like for 3 years
I would like even to find someone responsible, and knowledgeable to have it for 2 and 1/2 years, if he mantains it well, and then sell it in 3 years or so
I do not think that a broker would be interested in have it for 3 years

any more ideas?
NewJersey,
My apologies if I ruffled Your feathers, forgive the cynical captain in me who's seen too many bad outcomes out of scenarios such as this.
IF You can't "Sell" it for three Years, I'll assure You there are nautical charity organizations, the Local University's that have Oceanography Sciences Departments, other waterways organizations, heck even the USCG Auxillary that could and would put this vessel to exceptionally good use with a LEASE agreement for 3 years with the understanding that INSURANCE is required with Your organization named as principal loss payee (PLP), Your organization is held harmless of any "incident" they coud have, they MUST only operate w/licensed Captain on board, they MUST keep in top notch maint. condition, and that Your organization would be able to enjoy it say 2-3 days a month with THEIR FURNISHED Captain/CREW during the summer months. Since they also get the "deal" You did, trust me, they will ALL (who ever approached) say YES!

All Your problems are solved...no sweating the dockage (they're paying for it) no maint. fees, no fuel or other costs, still get to enjoy it when You want to in a competent fashion w/their captain/crew at Your disposal on those few days, get to check out and see they're keeping it in tip top shape, and at the end of the 3 years, You call a good brokerage and say "here's the keys...make it go away"(<-or just maybe not, by then?)

Your organization also gets massive tax advantages from this "leaseback" donation, while never having released ownership to anyone else, in keeping with the donor's wishes.

HTH,
-Mick
Old 01-08-2009, 22:50   #20

Quote:
NewJersey,
My apologies if I ruffled Your feathers, forgive the cynical captain in me who's seen too many bad outcomes out of scenarios such as this.
IF You can't "Sell" it for three Years, I'll assure You there are nautical charity organizations, the Local University's that have Oceanography Sciences Departments, other waterways organizations, heck even the USCG Auxillary that could and would put this vessel to exceptionally good use with a LEASE agreement for 3 years with the understanding that INSURANCE is required with Your organization named as principal loss payee (PLP), Your organization is held harmless of any "incident" they coud have, they MUST only operate w/licensed Captain on board, they MUST keep in top notch maint. condition, and that Your organization would be able to enjoy it say 2-3 days a month with THEIR FURNISHED Captain/CREW during the summer months. Since they also get the "deal" You did, trust me, they will ALL (who ever approached) say YES!

All Your problems are solved...no sweating the dockage (they're paying for it) no maint. fees, no fuel or other costs, still get to enjoy it when You want to in a competent fashion w/their captain/crew at Your disposal on those few days, get to check out and see they're keeping it in tip top shape, and at the end of the 3 years, You call a good brokerage and say "here's the keys...make it go away"(<-or just maybe not, by then?)

Your organization also gets massive tax advantages from this "leaseback" donation, while never having released ownership to anyone else, in keeping with the donor's wishes.

HTH,
-Mick
do you have any links to these organizations that I can contact?
Old 01-08-2009, 23:28   #21

Quote:
do you have any links to these organizations that I can contact?
Here's one:

http://www.blockislandmaritime.com/

They are in Newport, RI, not too far away and I am sure they could help. If you decide to work with them, please let me know.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 23:46   #22

Quote:
NewJersey,
, heck even the USCG Auxillary that could and would put this vessel to exceptionally good use with a LEASE agreement for 3 years with the understanding that INSURANCE is required with Your organization named as principal loss payee (PLP), Your organization is held harmless of any "incident" they coud have, they MUST only operate w/licensed Captain on board, they MUST keep in top notch maint. condition, and that Your organization would be able to enjoy it say 2-3 days a month with THEIR FURNISHED Captain/CREW during the summer months. Since they also get the "deal" You did, trust me, they will ALL (who ever approached) say YES!

HTH,
-Mick
USCGAUX Home - United States Coast Guard Auxiliary

is this the website?
who should I conact to talk about lease agreement?
Old 02-08-2009, 00:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Here's one:

Block Island Maritime Funding - Boat Donations, Charters, and Sales

They are in Newport, RI, not too far away and I am sure they could help. If you decide to work with them, please let me know.
i do not want to donate it
i want to keep it cheap for 3 years
Old 02-08-2009, 10:08   #24

One of the best possibilities is to keep it in dry land
do you know where can be cheap?
even in another State?
Old 02-08-2009, 15:09   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

NJ there's no way to keep a boat that size for cheap, even if you plan to cheat the old man by storing it and not using it--the way he obviously wants it to go to a good home where it will be ENJOYED not just sold. I suggest you give it back to him, or else sell it outright, because it sounds like anything else will just be doing something he doesn't want done.

The boat will also require constant maintenance, in or out of the water, or in three years it can become an expensive junk pile.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 15:12   #26

Eric, Speedoo just Nailed a gr8($MONEY$MAKING)Option 4 You!

Mothballing a boat for a 3 year stretch is a task. Have done it before on smaller vessels for $400. a month, that was here, then; about as relative as the price of tea in china compared to up there, now and Your boat.

Sorry there isn't a "shoppers link" for the best deals for dry ("on the hard", as in terra firma we boaters call it), however NOT donating to Block Island Maritime was the intent of former poster(Speedoo) as it says right on the link they do donations, CHARTERS, & Sales. Charters, means they LEASE out YOUR BOAT, while also taking "care of it"(INCLUDING DOCKAGE, Insurance, Captain &/or crew, maint.) AND they send You CHECKS for when it is used (which would be regularly this time of year). Imagine...You still OWN it, they cover ALL the EXPENSES of that "ownership", they make money, and YOU make MoNey TOO?!? Sweet?
You bet.
Hit the marine yellow pages on line for NJ and see who takes boats in for commercial charter besides them, and before You know it You'll be getting checks, instead of the fear of writing them (of course that all changes in 3 years...then You'll be saying "YOU WANT HOW MUCH?!" the USCG Auxillary locally through out NJ has various local "squadrons" Eric, again, I'd hit the phone book, or right here (as in on the internet), as the folks, including University's which have Marine Biology/Oceanography programs would give You an additional gr8 tax write-off while they used, maintained, and insured; however a CHECK every month is a no-brainer. IF Block Island isn't interested (which I'd doubt...just call them), they will have a LIST of potential other businesses which would take Your big boy and keep him busy, also cover the winterizing setup based on usage availability the following season. Makes Your worries go away AND put's that diamond on a pretty lady's finger instead of stuffed in a drawer if You get my drift? Meanwhile it's still quite YOURS all the time. A catastrophe occurs? THEIR Insurance company writes YOU a Check for Current market Value. You didn't deny the donor's wishes, it wasn't sold, it WAS Put in to charter service.
Alls well that ends even better!
Now YOU Are going to have to make some phone calls, put their contract in front of Your Attorney & make sure they agree to cover the downside, rather than just raking in all the upside, however a vessel of this sort would normally charter for $750.-$1k a day, plus captain & expendables?(<-like fuel, oil, etc.). THEY (& NOW YOU) KNOW they can make money, they didn't have to PAY for a boat to MAKE that money(little do they know, neither did YOU), and deals are always "win/win" of this nature.
Good Luck & Smart Choice...putting it in to charter service with a competent mgmt company is brilliant.
ALL the local Yacht Brokers up & down the coast will have good recommendations for WHO they'd Put THEIR Boat in to Charter service with...it's a regular question for them....
Start calling in the morning, & good luck;
here's hoping You make good money!
-Mick
Old 03-08-2009, 15:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
NJ there's no way to keep a boat that size for cheap, even if you plan to cheat the old man by storing it and not using it--the way he obviously wants it to go to a good home where it will be ENJOYED not just sold. I suggest you give it back to him, or else sell it outright, because it sounds like anything else will just be doing something he doesn't want done.

The boat will also require constant maintenance, in or out of the water, or in three years it can become an expensive junk pile.
I do not want to cheat anybody
he is not looking for a good home . He could have sold it
He wants to give it to us, and he wants that we should use it
I just do not want that him, to keep paying the boat slip
Old 03-08-2009, 16:04   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"He wants to give it to us, and he wants that we should use it"
But apparently none of you have the skills to use it safely, or the money to store and maintain it, so there's no way that you can do what he wants you to do with it.

Which is, literally, to give it to a good home, which means to give it to folks who can and will get enjoyment out of using it AND maintaining it in good shape.

Either you guys figure out how to ante up maybe 10-15 grand a year to maintain and operate the boat--and that will be cheap--and you figure out how to take a mess of boating lessons and maybe hire a captain as well...or there's no way that you can accept the gift without cheating the man out of what he's looking for.

Sometimes you have to say "No thanks, that's more than I can handle" and turn the page.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 16:23   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"

Sometimes you have to say "No thanks, that's more than I can handle" and turn the page.
never give up
WE never got a present like this!
I have to find the way to be able to keep it
maybe rent it as a house?
Old 03-08-2009, 18:15   #30

Quote:
never give up
WE never got a present like this!
I have to find the way to be able to keep it
maybe rent it as a house?
Did You call any Yacht Brokers to find out who they recommend for Putting it in charter service? Done Locally, You could STILL "Use" the boat, a captain would be provided,(Deducted Out Of Your PROFITS for the month) and even fuel would be covered (again out of those profits).

In Charter Service, they take care of ALL the maint., dockage, fuel, INSURANCE (w/YOU as principal loss payee), etc. They make the money and pay You half, or thereabouts (some pay more, some pay less...point is they PAY YOU to rent out Your boat, while THEY provide a captain/crew for the "renters" whether daily, weekly or somebody want's it for a MONTH....what do YOU care, You're GETTING CHECKS?! In 3 years it's all Yours anyway & between now & then, this is Better than Free...You get PAID. (<-yes, consider that shouting...I'd be all over getting a CHECK for $10-$20 THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH...but that's just me?)

Tags
new jersey