Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 08:47   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 188
Where to Find Blue-Water Boats Online?

I've cruised half the world on other people's boats and I know what I want and what I don't want.


Things I want:
Less than 50kUSD
40ft or more
Monohull
Slab reefing main
minimum 2 cabins, 6 berths

What I don't want:
Roller-reefing main
Anything new
Hydraulic steering
Any permanent arrangement that means I can't see the sails whilst steering
Wooden hull

Things I'd like to have:
Storm sails
Bowthruster
Steel hull
Sailing dinghy
Life raft
EPIRB
SSB
Windvane
Autopilot


All the websites I have been to seem to predominantly advertise new shiny plastic boats. A large proportion of the cruising boats I have sailed with or on are old, strong and most of the systems are mechanical and simple enough that I can fix them underway thousands of miles from land. It is this kind of thing that I'm after. Does anyone know of anywhere that specifically advertises what I think of as proper cruising boats?
__________________

__________________
YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:51   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,775
Yachtworld.com
__________________

__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:10   #3
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Re: Where to find blue-water boats online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Yachtworld.com
Learn to use the search feature in yachtworld, and you'll get a little more realistic about what's possible. I just searched for sailboats over 40' costing less than $50,000USD that had a bow thruster, and found two for sale: one in the UK, the other in Italy.

Of course, by the time you add all the rest of the stuff you'd like, you'll be quickly down to null.
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:29   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 188
Re: Where to find blue-water boats online?

Yep yachtworld is much better than I thought for proper boats.

I don't think my expectations are unrealistic, although I may have to install some of the stuff I want myself - a bow thruster is fine to install, but I don't want to start out paying for hydraulic steering or a roller-furling main when I'm going to get rid of it.

From experience of exactly these kinds of boats, I know that my expectations are not in the least bit unrealistic, it's just that the kind of people who own them don't advertise them in the kind of places I've been looking...
__________________
YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:35   #5
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,463
Re: Where to find blue-water boats online?

And if you need some ideas on which boats:

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
__________________
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:47   #6
Registered User
 
Sand crab's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Posts: 3,157
Re: Where to find blue-water boats online?

YW is brokerage only. This one has FSBOs
Sailboat Listings sailboats for sale by owner.
And you can refine the terms a little here and search all of Craigslist.
SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search.
__________________
We don't need no stinking badges.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:29   #7
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Where to find blue-water boats online?

probably find that the boats you are after are owned by folks who have a higher than average tendency to go down the FSBO route.......so likely scattered all over the place!

Perhaps could also google up some makes / models that fit your needs and see what FSBO's are thrown up, and whether they are congregating anywhere specific (online).......likely no single place.

Here on CF has a good reach via Mr Google (as well as word of mouth / keyboard!) - so could do a lot worse than also posting a wanted advert, with plenty of keywords / descriptions on what you are after.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:49   #8
Registered User
 
RainDog's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Varies
Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Posts: 1,183
Re: Where to find blue-water boats online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
YW is brokerage only. This one has FSBOs
Sailboat Listings sailboats for sale by owner.
And you can refine the terms a little here and search all of Craigslist.
SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search.
Also Boats for Sale - Buy Boats, Sell Boats, Boating Resources, Boat Dealers, Parts and Accessories - BoatTrader.com
and Sailboats for sale from Sailing Texas, Sailboat Classifieds, sailboat for sale by owner
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 18:22   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
Re: Where to find blue-water boats online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourOldNemesis View Post
Yep yachtworld is much better than I thought for proper boats.

I don't think my expectations are unrealistic, although I may have to install some of the stuff I want myself - a bow thruster is fine to install, but I don't want to start out paying for hydraulic steering or a roller-furling main when I'm going to get rid of it.

From experience of exactly these kinds of boats, I know that my expectations are not in the least bit unrealistic, it's just that the kind of people who own them don't advertise them in the kind of places I've been looking...

Roller furling main is the cherry on top bro! Anything can break just fix it if it jams and these days they really don't they've came along long way! I wouldn't own another boat without them furling everything bro! Bow thrusters are nice but on a boat of 40 ft not so necessary. I agree on the hydraulic steering. Your price range for a quality blue water boat is NOT even close.
__________________
Blue Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 21:17   #10
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 29
Re: Where to find blue-water boats online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourOldNemesis View Post
I've cruised half the world on other people's boats and I know what I want and what I don't want.


Things I want:
Less than 50kUSD
40ft or more
Monohull
Slab reefing main
minimum 2 cabins, 6 berths

What I don't want:
Roller-reefing main
Anything new
Hydraulic steering
Any permanent arrangement that means I can't see the sails whilst steering
Wooden hull

Things I'd like to have:
Storm sails
Bowthruster
Steel hull
Sailing dinghy
Life raft
EPIRB
SSB
Windvane
Autopilot


All the websites I have been to seem to predominantly advertise new shiny plastic boats. A large proportion of the cruising boats I have sailed with or on are old, strong and most of the systems are mechanical and simple enough that I can fix them underway thousands of miles from land. It is this kind of thing that I'm after. Does anyone know of anywhere that specifically advertises what I think of as proper cruising boats?
Hi try New Zealand Trademe on the internet ,lots
__________________
slipstreamcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 21:30   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 30
Re: Where to find blue-water boats online?

Er this forum is full of fantastic people unlike most.

Still you're going to get a lot of "zomg it cant be done! you need at least 100k for the boat and 2k a month for expenses plus you need to hire at least 3 people anytime you need your shoes tied. And thats if your boat never leaves the dock!"... i call them mamas little frat boys . Not competant to do anything but taken care of by our society.

There are some very nice 40ft boats out there for well under 40k. of course if you want brand new brand name everything straight from the nautical store it isnt going to happen. if i were you id keep eyes out on yachtworld, craigslist and ebay and read about boats. Find the ones you love then search the net for them. You may find that dream boat in a cradle in ireland for 30k.. that brokers are selling for 80k on yachtworld..
__________________
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 22:03   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 36
Re: Where to find blue-water boats online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdreid View Post
Er this forum is full of fantastic people unlike most.

Still you're going to get a lot of "zomg it cant be done! you need at least 100k for the boat and 2k a month for expenses plus you need to hire at least 3 people anytime you need your shoes tied. And thats if your boat never leaves the dock!"... i call them mamas little frat boys . Not competant to do anything but taken care of by our society.

There are some very nice 40ft boats out there for well under 40k. of course if you want brand new brand name everything straight from the nautical store it isnt going to happen. if i were you id keep eyes out on yachtworld, craigslist and ebay and read about boats. Find the ones you love then search the net for them. You may find that dream boat in a cradle in ireland for 30k.. that brokers are selling for 80k on yachtworld..
Not sure what yer idea of a "nice" boat is and WELL under 40k well you must want or desire a floating wreck not a "cruise" worthy yacht!
__________________
Blue Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 23:26   #13
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,399
Images: 115
This one meets all your requirements, it sold for $15K

__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
www.odincharters.com
www.susanhanssen.com
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 00:18   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 30
Re: Where to find blue-water boats online?

So Blue Agave my descripton called out to you eh.

Methinks youd be shocked at the number of people on this forum sailing in 10k, 20k.. even 5 k boats. One of my fav websites was by a guy who built a cat out of Softwood in his 20's, cruised w his gf for a couple years, sold it for materials to build a bigger one out of marine ply, then sold that one years later to buy a monohull... the guy cruised for decades.. One of his tricks was to buy his materials and equipment at lowes rather than buy the same thing at a marina for 4x the price because "pocketbook cruisers" said you had to.

i'm sorry you arent capable. But lots of people are.
__________________
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 00:20   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 30
Re: This one meets all your requirements, it sold for $15K

haha CSY Man what is that??
"motor sailor"? Always seemed like a weird idea to me
__________________

__________________
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Development Debugging Environment - Setup Help rgleason OpenCPN 577 11-11-2017 06:02
Blue Water Survival thomm225 Monohull Sailboats 49 18-11-2012 05:29



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.