Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2010, 17:02   #16

Thanks everyone! I'm not planning on purchasing a boat on this trip. Like most of you, I enjoy looking. Who knows, I may stumble upon something that I want to make an offer on, but that doesn't matter to me at this point. I've done some looking in Key West and the coast of Texas over the last year and it's always fun to see people's boats and talk with them.
Drifter33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 17:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAdventure View Post
I'm also in Minnesota and hear your frustration.

I'm headed to Annapolis/Chesapeake for a few weeks at the beginning of July. Hoping to look at a good number of boats.

Do you do any sailing locally?

I sailed on Minnetonka last summer and stayed on a friend's boat in Grand Marais. I haven't decided on my sailin gplans for this summer yet. Where do you sail?
Old 03-06-2010, 06:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter33 View Post
I sailed on Minnetonka last summer and stayed on a friend's boat in Grand Marais. I haven't decided on my sailin gplans for this summer yet. Where do you sail?
Race at Lake Harriet and Lake Minnetonka and do quite a bit of cruising up in the Apostle Islands out of Bayfield, WI.

I haven't been on the Lake up around Grand Marais. It kind of looks like there aren't as many places to duck in for the night in that area. Did you go anywhere from Grand Marais?
EpicAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:19   #19

Grand Marais does not look like there are a lot of safe harbors at night. My friend has a dock in the Grand Marais harbor. There are moorings within the harbor you can use. The winds were very light when I was up there, so we didn't sail to far from shore.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:25   #20

Boat: 49 ft. alu, centerboard, one off Roger Marshall-design, Ocean Explorer
I am in a different position as I am selling - besides the 2 sites mentioned which online sources do you use when looking for privately sold yachts (you can not sell on Yachtingworld.com unless you are a dealer/brooker)?

Cheers
jens_elsborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 15:07   #21

SO, I am headed to Maine. Not my top choice for boat shopping, but a good vacation destination. Does anyone have any suggestions where to look at boats in the area. I will be up and down most of the coast. I may make a rip to Boston as well.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 19-07-2010, 08:10   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Everything in New England is generally going to be more expensive than in a place like Florida. The season is limited there so fewer people have recreational boats. But then again, if you are looking for a Lobster Trawler - they are definitely cheaper in Maine than Florida.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 11:44   #23

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
What about Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale as a place to start looking?
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 12:08   #24

Boat: Pearson 323
New England has some good deals. I see some on craig's List. Last year I purchased a 25 foot Rhodes Meridian Seafarer. She is an older boat built in 1962 at a shipyard in Amsterdam, hull #52. This is a great small blue water sailer. I have had to do quite a bit of work on her but she was sail-able when I purchased her for $2000.00. She had a price tag on her asking $5000.00 but I just happened to hit the owner at the right time. I am now modifying the outboard well to fit the newer engines. A bit of work but the boat is definitely worth it. Sailing most of the time single handed and being only 25 ft. with plenty of space and head room my cost is down when I have to haul out or want to dock in transit slip for a day or two.
Look around some of the good buys are not even listed.

Ray
Rayallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 12:12   #25

Boat: Cooper 416
On the west coast the only place you can afford to do the work on one is Port Townsend Wa.Thats where I started and now that I'm in California again.I paid less for a haulout and a month in the yard in PT than a haulout here.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 12:34   #26
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
West Coast Haul Out

While this is substantial thread drift, the statement on the cost of haul outs seems a bit exaggerated and requires a reasoned response. Comparing Port Townsend to San Diego or San Francisco is like comparing Tipton (CA) to Fresno (CA) (both towns in Central CA). Size and therefore number of boats dictate pricing based on supply and demand.

The BEST place on the West Coast of Central/Southern CA for hauling out is a DIY yard in Port San Luis (my cost for haul out and 32 days on the hard, along with some parts/supplies, was less that $900.00. Ventura and Channel Islands Harbors also have reasonable prices (not as low as PSL).

Sweeping claims of 'ALL of the West Coast' (or ALL of anything) have to be taken with a large grain of salt and suspicion.

// S/V Elusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
On the west coast the only place you can afford to do the work on one is Port Townsend Wa.Thats where I started and now that I'm in California again.I paid less for a haulout and a month in the yard in PT than a haulout here.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 15:23   #27

Boat: Cooper 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
of boWhile this is substantial thread drift, the statement on the cost of haul outs seems a bit exaggerated and requires a reasoned response. Comparing Port Townsend to San Diego or San Francisco is like comparing Tipton (CA) to Fresno (CA) (both towns in Central CA). Size and therefore number ats dictate pricing based on supply and demand.
If you say so.But if you buy a boat and have to pay to fix it.90%of the boats out there are either 6 figures or in need of something.Washington is better than anyspot in California hands down.I have never listen to so many experts in my entire sailing history.And if you don't think buying with out maintence is drifting then keeping your boat at the dock is most likely your best option.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 17:31   #28

Boat: Baba 30
Talking

Washington actualy has places where you can keep your boat anchored-out for free. As a Marine Tech. here in Port Townsend, and having grown-up in southern CA. I have to agree with Redcoat. Our recent charges for our 36' sailboat - $425mo storage, and $200 round-trip haul out. We started our cruising dream by moving from MT. to here, and will be sailing down to MX next fall. We would not have been able to pull it off had we moved to CA instead (and we almost did!).
Boatyards simply reflect the surrounding economy. The Olympic Penninsula of WA is economically challenged to be sure, but it's boater freindly - especially if you plan on working on the boat yourself.

Hey Redcoat, I thought you were Mexico bound!?
Old 22-07-2010, 07:54   #29

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Contact local banks around maritime centers, if a bank owns it you can get it for pennies on the dollar. It's just a big liability to them, they have no delusions about it's worth.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 08:29   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Best price I found was in Seattle. And quite a market for bluewater cruisers, especially Valiants. (Yes, I'm biased)
Seattle? That really surprises me. I'd love to find a bargain in the Pacific NW but they are very rare IMO.

Were you lucky or do you have a secret search method?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
destination, sailboat, shopping