Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2013, 09:54   #1

Where do you put your Cruising Money?

When cruising, where do people keep their money? Debit/ATM cards? credit cards? cash? travellers cheques? solid gold bars? I hope to be island hopping in the Caribbean in early February and I'm not sure which option is the best. I live and work in Peru and have a bank account here, but I don't know if I should put my money somewhere else. Any ideas?
mtjewell81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 10:05   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjewell81 View Post
When cruising, where do people keep their money? Debit/ATM cards? credit cards? cash? travellers cheques? solid gold bars? I hope to be island hopping in the Caribbean in early February and I'm not sure which option is the best. I live and work in Peru and have a bank account here, but I don't know if I should put my money somewhere else. Any ideas?
"Yes" is my answer to most of these questions...its good to have options. I mostly use debit cards, have a high limit CC for emergencies, and keep some cash reserves stashed (not a lot...usually no more than $500).

I've also half joking thought about stashing tangible valuables (gold, jewlery, etc) in a lock box in case things really go bad.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 11:27   #3

Re: Where do you put your cruising money?

Thanks. I will diversify.
mtjewell81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 11:43   #4
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Its not where you put it but where you remember it. When I was youngish on my first cruising boat I boat I opened this combo french press/thermos thingy that was buried deep in a locker. I had broken my italian stove top cheapo thingy and still wanted a cup of coffee. I was cash poor, as most young sailor are, and when I opened the thingy up to pour coffee grounds and hot water I was surprised by $1000 in $100 bills. Utterly gobsmacked I made the best coffee of my life.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 06:23   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Its not where you put it but where you remember it. When I was youngish on my first cruising boat I boat I opened this combo french press/thermos thingy that was buried deep in a locker. I had broken my italian stove top cheapo thingy and still wanted a cup of coffee. I was cash poor, as most young sailor are, and when I opened the thingy up to pour coffee grounds and hot water I was surprised by $1000 in $100 bills. Utterly gobsmacked I made the best coffee of my life.
I was on the other end of a similar story, I had stashed about $1,000 in a book the first time I went cruising and forgot about it. On our return we had a local guy cleaning the boat and he found it. I dont think he had seen that much money in his life...he walked up to me with a fist full of $100 bills and a stunned look on his face. I gave him $100 as a tip and we both walked away happy!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 06:30   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i dont keep a lot of cash and i dont brag on where it is kept--
many soul shave wifi that might want to catch up on back rents or whatever--i do not cruise where folks are used to seeing much money in one place and sometimes their hands find a stickiness......and some end up like some of the boats wherein folks are clobbered for their toys and dough. is not a cool thing to brag or complain on where you keep your travelling dough.

also--dont show off all your toys at one time while sailing or traveling--those toys are worth money in sales to other folks with nothing..

but, then, all you bragging on where you keep things--are you actually out here cruising or are you thinking on it....might wanna revise your plans --keep your dough in a different place than you brag on.
i think enough soul shave been clobbered fro their goods , dont you??? i believe that some souls who didnt get clobbered but did get boarded by bandidos who stole items would also agree on this point..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 06:32   #7

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I gave him $100 as a tip and we both walked away happy!
Great story, BelizeSailor!!

We use a debit card in Mexico as it is a mostly cash society except in the big tourist destinations.

Getting a replacement card of any kind would be a big hassle in Mexico, so we limit our credit card use (to avoid fraud) and have a second debit card just in case the first one quits working (magnetic strip dies, or whatever).

We prefer to go to a bank lobby to do debit card transactions just in case the ATM machine doesn't work right (several friends have been shorted by standalone machines and had no recourse). Also, sometimes the machine furthest from the door has a lower ATM fee than the one closest to the door (seriously!!).
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 07:00   #8
o_q

Announcing where you hide something is not bragging. Bragging would be if you were prideful of the amount of money you had.

Definitions

brag: say in a boastful manner.

boast: talk with excessive pride and self-satisfaction about one's achievements, possessions, or abilities.
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 07:10   #9
o_q

I don't have a boat, but if I did, I wouldn't store cash. For security purposes, I don't carry more than $20 in my pocket. When I didn't have a bank account, I kept my money in a safe even when I was living alone.

I don't like this thread because this question sounds like something a thief would ask. If you want to hide your money, you'll figure it out.
Old 24-08-2013, 07:14   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjewell81 View Post

I am not going to tell online. Look around your boat, be clever, and go to it once a day until its location is BURNED into your head.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 07:53   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
What money

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 08:12   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

You could emulate these guys; they kept their stash hidden for quite a while...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tu-109908.html
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 08:43   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

saying that you have bux or ways to obtain bux stashed on your boat somewhere is bragging to those who havent your income nor expendable cash. think about it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 19:22   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
What money
...no sh*#!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 19:32   #15
o_q

This guy looks like he's bragging

Tags
cruising, money