Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-10-2014, 04:31   #1

When To Get a Survey

Is there a dollar point where a survey is not necessary? I am looking at a 1991 Island Packet 29 at 63K. Boat seems to be in pristine shape to my eye. Fresh water boat in the northeast and impeccably cared for. At 63K it wouldn't break me financially, but I would displeased if there were major issues.

Old 27-10-2014, 06:34   #2
senior windbag

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Re: When To Get a Survey

I had a survey done on a $13,000 sailboat. Well worth it, not to mention the insurance company wanted to see it before they would cover it. I didn't have one done for a $20,000 fishing boat with an outboard, and I wish I had. That boat has been fine, but there were some things about it that this sailor was ignorant of, that a good surveyor would likely have mentioned in the report.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 27-10-2014, 06:38   #3

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

The short answer is every time. The long answer is it depends on your situation. Personally my limit would be about 5k. Im trying to convince a friend to sell me a speed boat for about 5K and I know enough about him and the boat to know what my risks are. For 63k I would cry myself to sleep if I found out weeks later there was something majorly wrong with the boat. Hell even for 5k I would but i'm willing to take that risk. I know you said you can afford to have some problems but can afford and should afford are 2 different things. Besides if you can afford the risk you can easily afford the survey.
Old 27-10-2014, 09:50   #4

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Your insurance company will insist on a survey. You can't usually even rent a slip without insurance. And any prudent buyer will get a survey, as well.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 10:24   #5

I'd agree with the under $5k. In more general terms, it would be the point where I could live with it if the boat was a total loss.

Keep in mind, surveys price is usually a function of length, so smaller boats will cost a little less to survey.

We've bought two larger boats (30'+) and both times the survey saved us money when we found non-deal breaker issues and were able to negotiate.
Old 27-10-2014, 21:59   #6

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

The price point depends on the make of boat, its hull material and what it would be worth if everything was junk.
And the price you are getting it at.
I bought a Flicka without a survey because I had only a short time to decide, price was right and its a boat that is pretty hard to mess up. Yes, other than the cushions which were nice, most things on it were broken, but I know that boat well and knew my bottom line.
I got another sailboat with a survey which stated it was very well maintained and everything in great condition. I got what I think was a very good price. Half of the original asking price. This custom made sailboat which was owned by a "meticulous shipwright" however,
Wiring was all household wire and a rat's net
Engine alternator was held on with nylon tie wraps
Nav lights were wired with Romex and duct taped to the hull (yes no joke, lets see what Coast Guard Auxiliary would say about that)
Running rigging was 20 years old
Some surveyors are a joke..I could do a better job with my eyes closed...You get the picture....don't believe any survey unless you watch it happen.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 07-11-2014, 15:32   #7
cruiser

Boat: San Juan 24

What should a professional survey cost on a 30-38 foot cruiser? Where would I find a reliable surveyor in the Va/NC/Sc area?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-11-2014, 15:59   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Your insurance company will insist on a survey. You can't usually even rent a slip without insurance. And any prudent buyer will get a survey, as well.
I might not be "up to date" with this, but as I understand things, lien holders require hull coverage and surveys. Marinas are usually only interested in liability insurance and these insurance underwriters are not often interested in a survey.

I'm all with the "prudent buyer" requiring the survey unless they are willing to risk the cost of the vessel out of their own pocket.
Old 11-11-2014, 18:10   #9

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

If you are confident in your surveying skills or can live with the optential write off: never!

I bought a 120k € boat without survey.
But i had sailed it, lived on it for a few days and had access to it while on the hard, including disassembly of anything i wanted.
I have not yet found any significant issue that i had not found before buying.

Maybe i was lucky

Tags
survey

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: