Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2010, 22:59   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
I have friend in his 70's and he has one of the nicest ways of making a very low offer on whatever he has his eye on:

" I know your boat is worth more than my offer, but it is all I can afford to pay."
In a past life, when I used to manage a car dealership, we had this type of buyer often. And yes, we did recognize the strategy .

My advise to my salesmen?

"Look the customer right in the eye, and sympathetically tell him/her that you understand that is all they can afford, and it seems this car (boat) may be too much of a vehicle (boat) for them, but let me show you a few that are more in your price range."

Did it work all the time? Of course not, but it did call a bluff, or, if the buyer truly could not afford more, we often found a way to make a deal.

So, this one would not work very well if I were the selling broker. Now, if on the other hand, I was a FSBO, I would make sure I had arranged with a bank or credit union that would finance my boat.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 23:07   #77

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
My advise to my salesmen?

"Look the customer right in the eye, and sympathetically tell him/her that you understand that is all they can afford, and it seems this car (boat) may be too much of a vehicle (boat) for them, but let me show you a few that are more in your price range."
....and then we'd take em out back and show them a slightly more used boat..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seals on Boats-2.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	20354  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 23:10   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
....and then we'd take em out back and show them slightly more used boats..
Looks like someone "sealed" the deal
Old 20-10-2010, 23:52   #79

Boat: Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Looks like someone "sealed" the deal
BOOM BOOM

The joke thread is down the road

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 02:10   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
....and then we'd take em out back and show them a slightly more used boat..
Looks like the foredeck hatch has a seal problem.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 18:36   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Looks like the foredeck hatch has a seal problem.
Oh boy... this is quickly degradating! I thought my line was bad lol.
Old 26-10-2010, 18:45   #82
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Are you in Southern California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
maybe a hijack in progress but...
Pet peeve as a seller is when a buyer comes aboard and in order to get "a deal" starts trashing your boat and your work and spinning off into dumb exagerations and presumptions regarding the boats use history. The second and last time time this started I immediately asked the prospective buyer to leave, that I was not interested in selling to him.
I was just on the other side of this two weeks ago, although with a broker, and not the owner. I wasn't rude, but I was honest about what I saw, and how it affected the value of the boat in my eyes. The broker is a pro (sort of by definition I guess, but also in performance) and didn't take it personally. He knows my money is green.

It's business. It sounds like you took it personal. I can't speak for your buyer, but I look at a lot of boats (it's almost a second hobby, or job, finding my next boat) and it's just business. I guess I just don't understand why folks get so personally invested. There's no malice in an offer, it's just a starting point for negotiation. I'm sure you didn't list your boat at the minimum you'd be willing to take for it, so why shouldn't my first offer be less than the max I'm willing to pay?

This last boat I looked at, my wife absolutely fell in love with. She described it as "The first boat I seriously thought I could cruise in long term." That will probably be a whole different series of posts...

That being said, when it came time to discuss an offer with the broker, my offer was *significantly* below what the current owner is willing to take. I'm not lowballing him, it's what the boat is worth to me. It has some serious issues. Sadly, he takes a similar attitude to the quote above, and refuses to counter-offer. And that's his right. He's got a figure in mind, of what he thinks the boat is worth. At some point, either he's going to find someone who wants it more, or he's going to want to keep it less, and there will be a sale. That's business.

At this point he's doing me a favor, as a couple of people have advised me to run away from it, regardless of price. If I was a smart man I'd listen. But then, if I was a smart man I'd already be out there...

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 10:48   #83

I thought you were going to say..."I wouldn't be married"..LOL..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 27-10-2010, 12:18   #84
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
I thought you were going to say..."I wouldn't be married"..LOL..
Truth be told, marrying my wife was one of the smartest decisions I ever made. Her decision to marry me on the other hand, maybe not quite so bright! Ahh, the follies of youth (and for the record, she is older than me. sorry babe!)

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 12:41   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
Truth be told, marrying my wife was one of the smartest decisions I ever made. Her decision to marry me on the other hand, maybe not quite so bright! sorry babe!)

JRM
Ditto!

Old 29-10-2010, 22:29   #86

Boat: Custom
I don't think I can ever speak to another broker again!!!!!!

Seriously, excellent condition means great, fantastic, nothing wrong.

3 hour drive each way to find it means floating sludge in bilge, lifting deck, rotten sails!

Aaaaaaaaah

End of rant, thank you

Ps. I am sure there is a good broker out there I just haven t found them yet

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 03:56   #87

Boat: 'First Steps' 44' Steel Ketch
It was my Lady's idea to live aboard and we've had a fantastic time. It's much easier to respond to complaints about the boat by saying "But it was your idea"

- remember though, if you try this, there aren't many places to run to on a yacht.

Interestingly, our pride and joy has been for sale for a few months and since we're not desperate to sell, we're not as flexible on price as someone who needs the capital. Low ball offers have been politely declined.

Since the market seems to be a bit slow (that's from the brokers...) we've decided that I can sail her to the UAE so we can use her more.

I have a philosophy with buying and selling - you always make the right decision - that helps me sleep at night.

FlyingVet
FlyingVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 18:23   #88

If the boat is a rare one (hard to find on the market) and that model is the only one you have to have then the seller has you by the **** If you are flexable then you have a bargining chip. The North American market is in the toilet so to speak, if you have the ability to buy in the U.S. you can probabily buy and ship it where you want and still have $$ in your pockets. I am in So California and I can get a boat on the east coast, have it shipped west and still be within my budget. Good Luck with whatever you choose.
socalsailor is offline   Reply With Quote