Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:13   #46

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
I have friend in his 70's and he has one of the nicest ways of making a very low offer on whatever he has his eye on:

" I know your boat is worth more than my offer, but it is all I can afford to pay."

It is a simple statement that takes the emotion out of the offer, nobody gets mad and stomps away with their feelings hurt, which can make future negotiations difficult. You would not believe how many great deals on stuff he gets with this statement. He just bought a very low mileage, 2002 38' Dutch Star diesel pusher motorhome with an asking price of $86k for $38k. I saw him buy a nearly new Carolina Skiff with a 90HP Honda, trailer and all the gear on it for $10k, down from an asking price of $16.5k.
Maybe it's the plaid shirt, blue jeans and white hair.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I have wrestled with the problem of not offending, yet offering what you think the boat will sell for. I usually chat with the owner (or broker) for a while so he knows I'm not just a yahoo. Then I look him straight in the eye and say. "I have $$$ dollars cash. I will buy the boat for that much minus what survey shows as problems that have to be fixed."
Then it is important that you do not be offended (or show any emotion) on what happens next. The owner may deride you. He may laugh and order you off the dock. He may cry. Let him get through his emotions and do not say anything. If he does not say anything in the next 15 or so minutes, excuse yourself and leave. The next move is his, or his broker's.
As for a surveyor- I agree they come in all types. I always get one that I can look in the eye and he says without reservation that he knows this type of boat and that he will tell you all that is wrong with this one. So far I have been lucky and they have.
BTW- this isn't a low-ball game. Do your homework. I often offer below what they are asking, but I know what similar boats have sold for for the last year and in this marina and other locations around the US. You can bet that the owner has done the same.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:32   #48

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Or maybe they're taking it easy on the old guy. I wish that worked for me.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:37   #49

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I was lying in bed this morning and thought of this thread.

My thought was....WAIT A MINUTE!!!

If your looking at like for like boats

Why are you making an offer on this boat in the FIRST PLACE! if you think it is 7K over value?

1) It must be in better shape then the other ones.....or

2) It must be local to you making for an easy purchase not involving travel trucking..etc......or

3) It must have the amenities you want over the other boats......or

4) The hull and decks are a color you much prefer over the others.

Any one of these reason for the seller is worth the asking price for the right buyer and makes it Right "at Value" not over valued for that buyer. as well...anyone of the above listed items will cost you more to upgrade any other "Like" boat...including location. you have to figure in ALL costs.

Personally I think your not comparing "like' boats and haven't really done your homework....or you would not have put in an offer in the first place.

Id suggest you pull your offer and spend some time really getting an understanding of what you want in a boat...Even Newt's example was for at least same model of boat...but it was not for like boats...he admittedly said the other was in better shape.

You never can tell what a seller will do...just because several examples of sellers chasing after people that have walked I can dig up more that have not.

My whole point during this thread was aimed at some one who was letting 2500.00 get in there way of having EXACTLY what they wanted....Its obvious now that is not the case at all for you.

Carry on.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:53   #50

Boat: Skookum 53'
I agree with Stillraining. There is always another deal to be had at the price you want. Patience is your ally. If you are working from emotion then you are cruising for a bruising. Walk; and let it simmer, look at what else is available.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:09   #51

Boat: Custom
Thanks again for all the advice,

Perhaps a few more points to liven the debate.

This will be my fifth boat, but my first full keel truly classic cruiser.

I have been looking on and off a year or so and have walked away from a few

I don't know why I offered above market in the first place but I suspect the widow with grey hair on her late husband's pride and joy dressed in black may have been a factor.

The boat is a 5 day sail away so no big deal either way, certainly a lot closer than the USA.

I first looked at her in July 2010 made the offer in August, the broker rings every 2 weeks to see if I have changed my mind. As it is now October and warming up in OZ I was thinking the other day when I started this thread about sailing and just offering the money, it was a moment of weakness.

Incedentally, he rang yesterday and apparently the owner is putting her price up next week!!!!

Anyway, maybe he is following this thread.

Thanks again

Still Looking

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 13:34   #52

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
Incedentally, he rang yesterday and apparently the owner is putting her price up next week!!!!

Still Looking
Right!!!... And there is this other buyer from Mooloolaba who is JUST ABOUT to outbid you...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 11-10-2010, 14:31   #53

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
I have friend in his 70's and he has one of the nicest ways of making a very low offer on whatever he has his eye on:

" I know your boat is worth more than my offer, but it is all I can afford to pay."

You've nailed it. Often people skills come with snow at the top end.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 14:36   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Right!!!... And there is this other buyer from Mooloolaba who is JUST ABOUT to outbid you...

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim

Sounds like you know him!

Old 11-10-2010, 15:02   #55

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
It's seldom that both buyer and seller feel they got a good deal. The best outcome is both feeling the deal is fair and reasonable.
That's only happened once in my life when I bought a camper trailer from an old couple who were getting too old to use it. They had looked after it really well, and were selling at the average price at the time. They were happy a young couple (at the time!) with a couple of kids were going to really enjoy it. I was happy to find a gem.

Sad reality is that there is usually a winner and a loser, and the loser is invariably the one who wants/needs the deal the most. Accept that as reality. BUT, there is no law against faking it .
You can act as though you're not the one who needs it most, and thats where the fun of the game and showmanship comes in. And it IS a game.

As a kid I was so laid back I could limbo under a lizards belly, and I got walked over a lot of the time... I was so damn laid back I didn't even care

Then I learned a trick when I got provoked way beyond even my limits, and got really
The pushy kid backed right off!

After that I knew I just had to summon the energy to act a particular way to achieve an outcome, no matter what I really felt.
Life has been a bit of a game ever since.

Having said that I usually pay too much for things I really want, and get too little for things I sell. Then I act like it doesn't matter, and soon it doesn't

I know it's kinda dumb, but I'm so laid back it works for me

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 15:51   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Quote:

Anyway, maybe he is following this thread.

Thanks again

Still Looking
If the broker calls again, tell him you just found ______________ boat that you really like at 80% of the offer you gave him and that you want to explore that possibility. He will either shut up or come through with a reasonable offer. Either way you win.
Then again- he may be following this thread...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 23:27   #57

So I. Was walking along a wharf yesterday and ran into an old sailing mate, wouldn't have seen him for ten years. He invited me to his boat to catch up, lovely boat, basically EXACTLY what I had been looking for.

So I am sitting there drooling all over it (as you do) when he casually tells me he has to sell her, he is to old, wife doesn't feel comfortable any more etc.

So I casually ask the price. And I can do it!

So he is sleeping on it because it is a big decision for him and will call me tomorrow.

Fingers crossed

Old 12-10-2010, 23:40   #58

ha ha... lucky timing. good luck

I made an offer yesterday on a yacht for a price that just below what my walk away price will be. I'm hoping the owner was sleeping on the offer rather than simply not having being in the office yesterday afternoon and not read the email.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 00:20   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
So I. Was walking along a wharf yesterday and ran into an old sailing mate, wouldn't have seen him for ten years. He invited me to his boat to catch up, lovely boat, basically EXACTLY what I had been looking for.

So I am sitting there drooling all over it (as you do) when he casually tells me he has to sell her, he is to old, wife doesn't feel comfortable any more etc.

So I casually ask the price. And I can do it!

So he is sleeping on it because it is a big decision for him and will call me tomorrow.

Fingers crossed
Congratulations and be excited!

However, only you can decide this, you should try to remain impartial about the decision. You will be tempted to shortcut the survey for example. He is a friend and you have a right to trust him but there are things maybe he is not even aware of.

Try to treat it as a business deal first and friendly deal second.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 00:35   #60

Thanks Dan. Yes we already discussed it and he also insists on one because he doesn't want any issues for him or me.