Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2011, 12:42   #166

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: What Will Happen to Boat Pricing when Euro Is Under Par to US$ ?

So what is your plan if the US economy turns around and prices stabilize or gets better this week
Old 20-12-2011, 12:47   #167
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
So what is your plan if the US economy turns around and prices stabilize or gets better this week
If that happens this week I'll eat my own turds for a month.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 12:50   #168
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
Things just may turn around for a little while anyway..it would be a good distraction and then just when you thought it couldnt get any worse...boom! I hope I am wrong..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 12:51   #169
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Oh my God!
Old 20-12-2011, 13:19   #170

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If the global financial melt down that some are thinking is around the corner eatin' turds may happen for a lot of us.

Now that the propoganda for a war with Iran is being spewed from the puppet oil media on a daily basis and the inevitable conflict starts there to support our good friends the Israelis, how long until the Straight of Hormuez is closed and gas hits $10.00 a gallon.

What do you think will happen to boat prices then?
Old 20-12-2011, 13:29   #171

Boat: Seafarer 26
I was just listening at lunch to an interview with our defense secretary that was asked: what will you do if Israel attacks Iran to stop it from having the bomb. I can't quote it but he said we will do whatever is necessary to stop Iran from having nuclear weapons. First time it has been a line in the sand and under Obama no less.

Unlike Phil I don't believe we are headed toward anarchy. But it is a dangerous world. Always was.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 13:39   #172

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

There are those still here that remember halling D- Marks to the store in wheel barrows.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 13:54   #173

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Hey Cap'in all probably true, how do you plan on getting supplies with all the gun toting starving americans running around the local 7 Elevens? Oh yeah do you really think the waterways are going to be free from criminal elements trying to take from you as well.
Think you have been watching too much TV. And that would be in places like NY, LA, SF and other large rat race type cities where the masses gather to hide like in a school of fish.

The criminals will have to become pirates or learn to swim good to get out to the boats. And of course, even the good USAians have a legal right to carry. But lets not turn this into a gun thread! OK
Old 20-12-2011, 15:04   #174
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
I was just listening at lunch to an interview with our defense secretary that was asked: what will you do if Israel attacks Iran to stop it from having the bomb. I can't quote it but he said we will do whatever is necessary to stop Iran from having nuclear weapons. First time it has been a line in the sand and under Obama no less.

Unlike Phil I don't believe we are headed toward anarchy. But it is a dangerous world. Always was.
Same thing with China..what will China do if Taiwan declares independence?China:we said Taiwan would not claim independence... The Chinese ask America:what will you do if we invade Taiwan ...America: We swore to protect Taiwan...The bad part is that America will do what it says ..the Chinese have an option...anyone that thinks China could win a war with America is fooling themselves..we will win and China will win..if you have any doubt look at Japan and Germany..do you really think they lost the wars they fought..I dont....DVC
Old 20-12-2011, 16:12   #175

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I'm still of the opinion that aboard your own boat with the skills and experience to maintain and sail her to less dangerous waters is the answer. For everyone else, the future is bleak. The boating market in both Europe and the US will continue to be great for buyers and will continue to be under downward pressure. Those who don't own their boat outright will be squeezed financially causing further downward pressure on prices of used boats. With the prospects of major unrest in oil producing countries in the middle east, the petroleum base products for boat manufacturers will rise significantly in price and will be competing against lower priced well found used boats.
I believe a niche will develop for experienced, licensed skippers to drive boats for wealthy boatowners who want to bail but can't handle their new found escape vehicles... wish I were 20-30 years younger! Just my opinion... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 16:48   #176
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil

Not certain whether or not you caught the most recent announcement from the head of the Norwegian bank, Saxco (sp?) who also sees the euro disappearing soon for the reasons I have stated previously combined with the downgrade of the French economy by S&P. While it may be just selective quoting from a source with which I agree, there seems to be a growing sentiment among Europeans that the euro is short lived. It will be interesting to see who is right, Dave... cheers, Capt Phil
Yes part of SAXO annual shocking predications for 2012, they also predict a recession in Australia, and apple shares to fall by half.

Note only one of over a dozen SAXO shocking predications for 2011 came true. !!

Dave
Old 20-12-2011, 16:52   #177
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil
Best move is stay off the grid, don't pay taxes, no permanent address, cash only purchases, move around some, your strength and security is in your talent and skill. Break downs will begin in the private sector, banking, finance in particular because even those working in the sector don't understand it, followed by retail due to supply line fragility and electronic payment structure problems... you miss a payment and no supply therefore no inventory. Local and state government will follow as systems grind to a halt and political will is tested and found lacking. Then the feds will sieze up as the complex data systems are overrun, hacked with no one capable of sorting out the mess. Leadership? Forget it... look at the field to choose from!
Sorry for the dismal outlook but living aboard under the radar seems to be the best option. I haven't even touched on civil disorder when food stamps, unemployment benefits and welfare aren't delivered on time.
We are the beneficiaries of the last generations' inability to teach moral values to their children and the welfare mentality forced on all of us by 'big brother'.
The ocean will be the last refuge for those capable of sailing her. It is from her that civilization will re-establish itself. Capt Phil
God your right I think I saw that movie , what's the name oh yeah , waterworld.

Dave
Old 20-12-2011, 17:54   #178
Marine Service Provider

Not the apocoliptic version..just people living within their means and maybe a little rationing here or there...we are to far "advanced" to live in a world of Anarchy....It is going to get worse before better and our lives will change forever..just like after WWI and WWII....maybe they will conscript a few of us to sail around and feel out the rest of the world...yeah I want that job,sure beats the munitions factory...DCV
Old 20-12-2011, 19:56   #179

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hey, Dave... sorry for the rant but I do have a very nervous feeling about the future. Hopefully, your boat is a little more appealing than Kevin Costers! I really enjoy reading your point of view, seriously. I just don't share your more optimistic view of the future. My feeling is reflected in the plans I've made for my kids and grandkids. As far as Saxo's predictions go, I agree that Australia is in for some tough times ahead. Their real estate bubble is not dissimilar to what happened in the US except their banking regulations do not allow the liar loans or no down payment property aquisition so it won't be as severe. Further, if you don't think that Apple is overpriced, we don't agree.
This thread has prompted a lot of comment from which I've learned.
I know it has drifted but has been valuable to quite a few folks, I believe... many thanks to your and other contributors. i think this is really a unique forum. Cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 23:36   #180

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Are you guys sure you don't have a case of SAD from not enough sunlight and not seeing enough bikini's tanning on your deck & playing in the water ( I just got back from the indoor pool with bikinies everywhere on the shortest day of the year ) . Sure prices are going down like being in the doldrums with no motor just put out all the canvas (talent) and have a little faith the breeze will be back posiably from a different direction. I think boat prices will drop 1/3 and new boats will sell some because of folks cashing in there life time bussiness and retiring to the yaching life . I would not want to be trying to sell a basic monohull, it would be like trying to sell a basic house with no view in a basic subdivision. Unless you own a gas station buying a motor yacht with 2 big V8 motors will be like having a dinosaur that's always tied to the dock.
Wow we might have to cook at home and pack left overs for lunch but we'll be sailing

THE ONLY CONSTANT IN THE UNIVERSE IS CHANGE