Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 12:07   #1

Boat: Moody S38
What to Measure for Marina / Haulout Charges

Please can I have advice on how a yacht is measured when calculating length for mooring, haulout and on-the-hard storage fees etc.?

I am starting the process of gearing up (financially and knowledge base) to buy a boat to liveaboard 5 months of the year in the Caribbean. That means we will be storing on the hard for 7 months. Together with occasional marina fees, the haul-out and storage costs (as well as just general maintenance) can be significantly affected by length. Some of the boats I look at have lengthy bowsprit/anchor platforms, and if they don't have a swim platform I would need to consider adding one.

It seems that when advertised most show the hull length as "LOA", but this excludes extended bowsprits/anchor platforms (not to mention the anchor itself), and presumably custom made swim platforms.

I am thinking of Island Packet and Caliber among others, and I believe that the IP38 generally advertised on Yachtworld at 38' actually measures nearer to 41'6"!

I have noticed when chartering that some marinas and some cruising tax charges increase from 40'. I have decided that ideally a 38-39' yacht is a good compromise between space and running cost, but do I need to take account of swim platforms and extended anchor platforms/bowsprits? (note the cautious use of "bowsprit/anchor platform" - I'm sure that someone will tell me it's not a true bowsprit!!)
Pavalijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: What to measure for marina/haulout charges

This depends on the Marina. Many marinas today base their charges on the length over all including dinghies on davits, swim platforms, bowsprits and anything else that extends past the bow and stern. Others use the documented LOA on your official document. You need to ask in advance. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:25   #3

Thanks Chuck, and in the case of the IP38 example, can I assume that the documented LOA will be 41'6"? If so I wonder why they are advertised at 38'?!!

Regards,
Paul
Old 06-06-2011, 12:30   #4

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

You can't get an answer here, Waterwayguy is spot on, it's all down to the marina. Some will take whatever your registration document says, some will insist on measuring the entire length, including any bowsprit/bathing platform, etc. and some will go for just the length at waterline.

Others will factor in weight, type of craft, height, beam, etc, etc. so it really is like asking how long is a piece of string.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:59   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Paul, Who knows why the builders classify boats as they do. You can rest assure that the marina will use the biggest number they can get away with. BTW, simonmd, in my many years involved in the marine trades, I have never had a US marina base charges on the waterline length. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 13:16   #6

Thanks Chuck and simonmd . I looked at the rates for a Grenada boatyard who say:

"..........also reserves the right to assess additional storage costs on excessive extrusions off the boat (bowsprits, dinghies stored on davits)".

It looks as though there is a negotiation here, and I will expect to win that one only when business is slow! However when boat buying and budgeting I will assume the worst!

Paul
Old 06-06-2011, 13:46   #7

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

The size on your US documentation (and described as models) is usually the length on deck (LOD) - so an Island Packet 38 will be approximately 38 feet on deck. My Panda 40 is 39.8 feet on deck but 46 feet overall with bow sprit and wind vane, but in most Mexican marinas charges go by the documented length (LOD) - but some want to know "how big of a box do I need to put it in?" In Santa Rosa, Baja, Mexico, there was a price difference above and below 40', so the twelve slip had three Panda "39's" once...
BTW, you can get some pretty nice folding swim ladders for the cost of storing a custom build for a couple of years.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 13:49   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was asked for an overall length, which in my case included a protruding anchor and the windvane hanging off the stern. This seems only fair, as these determine how big a slip I need.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 13:53   #9

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

As above, it's up to the marina.

All I've ever been asked is what boat do you have and what size slip do you need? 43' boat won't fit into a 42' skip, so it foes in a 50' slip.

Every marina is different..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 14:04   #10

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

IP38 is 38' on deck. LOA is length overall, which by definition measures the entire vessel from end to end, including whatever you're hanging off of your bow and transom. My IP35 is 35' on deck, but I have a 3' bowsprit, and a 5' wide dinghy hanging from my davits, so I'm actually 43'-44' LOA.
I work in a marina, so I deal with this on a daily basis. Can't tell you how many times we'll arrange to dock someone's "42-footer" on a facedock with two other boats, only to discover that the "42'" doesn't include the 5' bowsprit or the dinghy on the davits.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:00   #11

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Paul, Who knows why the builders classify boats as they do. You can rest assure that the marina will use the biggest number they can get away with. BTW, simonmd, in my many years involved in the marine trades, I have never had a US marina base charges on the waterline length. Chuck
Maybe you haven't but it's still worth mentioning. Personaly, I have a 15.8 meter flybridge on a 15 meter berth! How? Because I argued that the length at waterline was 15m or less and that it was the hole in the water that was important so they gave in!

Also worth mentioning that with some designs, the length at water line can be MORE than the length on deck. Many modern designs have a near virtical bow (very common on modern Cats) and a steeply raked 'suger scoop' stern so the deck is actualy shorter than the waterline. Therefore, LOA, as mentioned above is the most common measurement. If you have a dingy on davets, take it off first.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:35   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

The marina I'm in uses the length as stated on the vessels documentation.
Unfortunately so do the custom officials.
Here in Leb. vessels imported that are under 15 meters are required to pay 25% import duty....the messured length of mine to the end of the bow roller is 1cm over 15 meters..but the documentation shows it as 47.6 ft (14.51 meters aprox)
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:25   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

It varies - sometimes it is what stands in the papers, sometimes the actual size (e.g. with the appendages), etc.. At times it is not the size but rater the weight.

I think LOA as registered is the most common factor.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 13:12   #14

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

The difference between the length of the boat is significantly different at the bar, and at the marina office.

I remember one instance where a man was adamant that his 38' Irwin was actually a "45'er"... He would argue with anyone about it... but strangely it was listed as 37' on his contract.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:34   #15

Re: What to Measure for Marina / Haulout Charges

Many thanks, all, it is all much clearer now - that is that it is not clear!
Paul