Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 17:46   #1

Boat: Careel 22
Post What Material Is Your Boat Built From?

G'day mates,

I have been reading a lot on most threads on this and other boat fourms but can see no posting on what I'm looking for...Which is, I'm sure...Something you all love...Painting & Boat maintenance

Is your boat built from steel, timber, alloy, cement or full glass?
Is your boat a Mono, Cat or Tri?
Is your boat a sail boat, full motor boat or a motor sailor?
What size is your boat?
Now to the guts of my questions. Which is in two parts.

(1) How often do you get your boat on the hard or beach to scrape her hull/s, antifoul and paint her and what are the costs involved?

(2) How often and where/how do you do a topside paint job, (Decks and such) and what are the costs involved?

Just thought of something else to do with hull/s, when I was a boy my dear old Dad, rest his soul, told me they would take their boats, sea going timber or steel trawler, up a river into fresh water. This would kill a lot of marine groth that grew on the hull, and the growth would drop-off, there-by reducing the cost and time by extending the length of time, between having the boat on the hard to do a full bottom job.

Was that an old fishermans tale?

Thanks in advance for letting me know of your experiences in the maintenance department.

Bill
Australia
Old 08-01-2010, 17:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I go between sea water and fresh water frequently. Its never been my experience that bottom growth falls off much at all when it hits fresh water.

I haul out once a year because I have an aluminum boat. The reason I haul out this frequently is twofold. Anti-fouling paint for aluminum boats is pretty ineffective plus electrolysis, if it starts, can damage an aluminum hull very quickly.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 20:27   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Fiberglass monohull sailboat (46') - (Typically) annual haul out and bottom paint - use do-it-yourself yards because price and quality. Haul out costs range from $700 - $1200 + paint. Never have painted topsides or deck: I just use rubbing compound and two layers of polish each haul out.

More frequent the use, the less the growth - I sail in a heavy growth region. I also typically dive/scrub the bottom -average- once a month.

Hope this helps.

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:17   #4

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Fibreglass monohull 12m sailboat, first launched 1977, bought by us in 2002, now sailing in Med.

Going up a long river (50nM) and staying there 2 months did seem to inhibit growth. It does mean staying there a while. Growth is much faster in warmer water.

We haul every other year, scrub and re-antifoul. This spring we aim to do a 'dive-and-scrub' as there is some growth and it's much cheaper, and we try to at least scrub the top 50cm below the waterline pretty regularly. The biannual regime has worked so far. Costs vary hugely depending on location and nature of yard. We've always done it ourselves. As disposal/management costs of toxic paint get higher, we are seeing ripples of tighter yard control.

We have polished our topsides but never yet painted them. The paint has faded so bumps and nicks are impossible to match, so we are pondering a topsides repaint when we haul out late this year.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:25   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Imagine is a 46ft. cat. She is built of mahogany with 4mm planks in three directions with the West System. The West System means she is cold molded.

We pull the boat every 2-3 years, but we do have her bottom scrubbed monthly. The report from the diver dictates how often we pull the boat out of the water.

I have painted Imagine's hulls on the hard. I have also painted her cockpit, and house while in the water. I used AWL-GRIP with the method of roll & tip. She passes the 5ft. test on the paint job. The white area is actually even harder to see flaws. The hulls cost me approximently $500.00 to paint with 4 days of work. Half the cost was tape, and sandpaper. I bought a gallon of red, and used about half of it. I also spent more than half my time moving the scaffolding around during the painting & sanding process.

I have never been in complete fresh water, but while in brackish waters. The growth was quite bit less...........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:14   #6

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Fibreglass monohull 30' sailboat (14HP aux engine), about 30 sq meters wetted surface area.
Haul out on the hard once per year in the spring, for scraping and antifouling. In France, it's illegal now to do this between 2 tides on a drying area. The cost is about 500€ (700US$) for handling, 2 weeks on the hard and the paint (I do the scraping and the painting).

In early July, I always have to dive to remove some mussels from the flat underside of the keel (where the antifouling paint doesn't remain for long), because there is a mussel-growing farm upriver from my anchorage and it's the moment when mussels spawn. With my current antifouling paint, I don't have barnacles anymore.

Last spring, I polished the topsides and waxed them (cost: 160€ including polishing machine, compound and wax) but the result isn't great. I'll have to keep trying.

I have been told that the weeds drop from the hull in a river if the water is muddy because then, they don't get enough light. I the old times, the purpose was also to kill the woodworms in the hull: they are supposed not to live in fresh water.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote