Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2011, 06:36   #1

Two boats

We have reached retirement age, and are contemplating cruising down south in the colder months. My research has uncovered several issues, one of which is that as Canadians, we are only allowed to be out of the country for 212 days (seven months) at a time. This complicates doing 'the loop' somewhat.

We understand that to do the loop, the trawler is king, but I can't see myself burning 5,000 gallons of fuel per year, so we've decided on sail. The problem with sail is that they are slower than trawlers, and it takes about two months of ten-hour days to get down there, and two more months to get back, leaving us only three months to enjoy the south. The engine hours would add up quickly.

The most practical solution that I have been able to come up with is to have two boats, and just fly or drive back and forth. I understand I will have some storage expenses, but this will probably balance out to the cost of motoring or trucking a boat back and forth. We feel that shuttling a boat back and forth will put too much wear and tear on a boat, and on us.

Have I gone completely nuts?

Thoughts, please?

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 07:02   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Two boats

yes you have gone completely nuts. maintenance on 2 boats is wak.i know i have 2 boats, one in sd and one in mazatlan--i live on the boat in mazatlan....if the base home boat is cheepo plastic fantastic basic sailboat wont be as pricey but will be ugly. will make your basic budget for the cruise smaller and you will be writing all kinds of stuff about how much work it is to keep either running. even in dry storage is pricey. i am not trying to be a naysayer,just reporting facts, as i see em in my practice..LOL....is basically a reasonable ides but in reality the ideas become a bit more difficult to maintain.....if you have friends or relatives in canada then is easier to fly back and impose on them than it is to keep a second boat....i promise. and ye can tie the visit in with a family birthday or a major holiday and make out..LOL gooodluck and fair winds...
.if ye make visits on holidays, folks dont realize yer in it for your immigration and such and wont feel like they are doing a favor..LOL....ye think?? have fun with this idea and go for it...keep us posted--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 07:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Two boats is NUTZ!

I know.

One in Newfoundland. 33' Ted Brewer Cutter, steel

One in Delaware. 44' Alan Pape Cutter, steel

Still trying to figure it out.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 07:07   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 07:21   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Actually two boats has worked out well for us. With just one we found that we were away from home too long, September to June going to and returning from the Bahamas to Toronto.. Now we leave in Nov/Dec and return late May. By the way Nomad57, Canadians are allowed out of the country as long as they wish. You might not be allowed to be in the States over six months or you might have health insurance limitations but nothing prevents you from being out as long as you wish. Admittedly two boats are usually more costly to own and operate than one but not in all cases. There are lots of cruisers out there now with really big expensive boats.
Old 22-06-2011, 08:23   #6

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57 View Post
My research has uncovered several issues, one of which is that as Canadians, we are only allowed to be out of the country for 212 days (seven months) at a time.
Really?!?! That's kinda surprising to me. What is the story there? What happens if you go over 212 days?
Old 22-06-2011, 08:39   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44

If you don't return I think you get your nucks canned. You are no longer canadian but become canucked
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 09:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Actually two boats has worked out well for us. With just one we found that we were away from home too long, September to June going to and returning from the Bahamas to Toronto.. Now we leave in Nov/Dec and return late May.
That's what we had in mind. Four months per year of ten-hour days is just too much. Even the yacht dealers are recommending against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
By the way Nomad57, Canadians are allowed out of the country as long as they wish. You might not be allowed to be in the States over six months or you might have health insurance limitations but nothing prevents you from being out as long as you wish. Admittedly two boats are usually more costly to own and operate than one but not in all cases. There are lots of cruisers out there now with really big expensive boats.
The health insurance bit is what I meant.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 22-06-2011, 09:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Thank you.

Regards,

Nomad
Old 22-06-2011, 09:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
yes you have gone completely nuts. maintenance on 2 boats is wak.i know i have 2 boats, one in sd and one in mazatlan--i live on the boat in mazatlan....if the base home boat is cheepo plastic fantastic basic sailboat wont be as pricey but will be ugly. will make your basic budget for the cruise smaller and you will be writing all kinds of stuff about how much work it is to keep either running. even in dry storage is pricey. i am not trying to be a naysayer,just reporting facts, as i see em in my practice..LOL....is basically a reasonable ides but in reality the ideas become a bit more difficult to maintain.....if you have friends or relatives in canada then is easier to fly back and impose on them than it is to keep a second boat....i promise. and ye can tie the visit in with a family birthday or a major holiday and make out..LOL gooodluck and fair winds...
.if ye make visits on holidays, folks dont realize yer in it for your immigration and such and wont feel like they are doing a favor..LOL....ye think?? have fun with this idea and go for it...keep us posted--
It's like this, in order to have health coverage, it is necessary to be in Ontario for five months of each year, so it's not a matter of popping back for a visit, and then going back.

The issues we have considered are this:

1. Trawlers are too costly, and still burn quite a bit of fuel.

2. Sailboats are too slow at 5.5 knots to make the trip on an annual basis. I know they can be pushed up to 6.5 knots, but at the cost of more fuel, and you burn the engine out much sooner.

3. We considered a catamaran, but for the price of one, you can buy two boats. The cat has two engines to maintain, and feed. Two hulls to paint...

4. We want to spend our summer on the water, than means a boat up north. We want to spend our winters down south. That means either a vacation property, or another boat.

5. We could choose having only one boat, either up north or down south, but that would defeat our plans. Yes, I know it will cost more, but 'we can't take it with us'. We aren't rich, by any stretch of the imagination, but we have the wherewithal to do this.

Thank you, for your kind reply.

Nomad
Old 22-06-2011, 09:17   #11

Boat: Niagara 35
Two options you've probably thought of: would it be cheaper to rent an apartment while you're back in Canada? You may want the break from the cruising life anyways. Maybe good to try this for the first year before deciding to buy two.

Also, would it be cheaper to just buy health insurance instead of buying a second boat and constraining your lives? Supposed to be reasonable outside the US, but will depend on age and health. Once you're back in Canada for something like 6 months the healthcare kicks back in.
Old 22-06-2011, 09:20   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57 View Post

2. Sailboats are too slow at 5.5 knots to make the trip on an annual basis. I know they can be pushed up to 6.5 knots, but at the cost of more fuel, and you burn the engine out much sooner.
This past season we saw many trawlers and power boats running on just one engine due to high fuel costs. Some trawlers are now slower than sailboats under power. My sailboat can motor at 6.3 knots burning less than 3/4 gallon per hour.
Old 22-06-2011, 10:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingy View Post
Really?!?! That's kinda surprising to me. What is the story there? What happens if you go over 212 days?
212 days is the maximum that the Ontario government will allow, to retain health care coverage.

Most supplementary health care coverage for 'travelers outside Canada' are based on having the Ontario government coverage. It is difficult to find the travelers' coverage for more than 180 days at a time. There are some companies that do it, but not many.

There is still the issue of the trip down and up. It's two months each way, and that's not how I want to spend my life. I've done the trip.

Nomad
Old 22-06-2011, 18:26   #14

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57

212 days is the maximum that the Ontario government will allow, to retain health care coverage.

Most supplementary health care coverage for 'travelers outside Canada' are based on having the Ontario government coverage. It is difficult to find the travelers' coverage for more than 180 days at a time. There are some companies that do it, but not many.

Nomad
Canadian companies are oriented around supplemental traveler's insurance. I'd expect some deeper research will find many options for coverage that isn't just supplemental. It just won't be from CAA.
Old 22-06-2011, 18:34   #15

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

[QUOTE=Nomad57;713363] we are only allowed to be out of the country for 212 days (seven months) at a time. This complicates doing 'the loop' somewhat.

No offense, but it must seriously complicate any idea of feeling like an adult, and here you are at retirement age...

"Be home by midnight two hundred and eleven days from now, or you're in big trouble, Mister!!!!"

And they say choosing a sailboat is a compromise.

Just imagining being a Canadian trying to pick out a sailboat to go cruising for more than 212 days, I tell you, it boggles the mind!

My applogies if I sound like I'm laughing at you. I voted for Obama. Hmmmm. The hell with it. I'm going sailing where they can't find me.

(Don't tell Mom!)
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote