Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 07:38   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Tipping Bareboat Charter Company Staff

Are bareboat charterers generally giving gratuities to the charter company staff? At the end of a recent charter, I tipped 20% of the charter fee. I wonder if that is typical or unusual.

The office staff and the checkout captain were very helpful in a number of ways such that we had a great trip, so I was comfortable giving the monetary "thank you". Still, 20% of a charter fee is a huge chunk of change, so as I prepare for my next bareboat charter, I am wondering again what are the tipping etiquette rules for this situation, and what others generally do.

Regards,
Joe R.
JoeRobertJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:34   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Tipping Bareboat Charter Company Staff

Wow, thats quite generous but very unusual. Base staff almost never get tipped.

However, one charter company Ive worked for does have a standing policy that charter crew tip base crew from their tips. Good policy I think, since the base crew works hard to turn around boats between charters...often in 24 hours or less...and, other than office staff, most have no contact with guests.

Dock/base crew usually get the CLOs (Charter Left Overs...food, booze, etc) too from bareboat charters...this can sometimes be quite a haul as bareboaters often WAY over purchase...and usually good quality stuff.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:40   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

Nasty habit, should be discouraged. These things always morph from gratuity to entitlement.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Nasty habit, should be discouraged. These things always morph from gratuity to entitlement.
Exactly and getting worse! I travel the world for a living and the "culture" (usually American) of TIPPING for everything is not always appreciated and IMHO has really gotten out of hand.

For example, our sailing school pretty much required a large "TIP" after completion. Said expected "tip" added many hundreds of dollars to a course that already costs thousands of dollars. There's already a thread about this.

Point is, there are businesses and even whole countries where tipping is NOT customary and IMHO, these customs should be respected and maintained.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:10   #5

Tipping is very much a local cultural thing. In the case of a bareboat charter, I would tip individuals who did a special service some amount that seemed reasonable. If the maintenance crew did an amazing job, I might drop a shared gift at the office.

For crewed charter I'd tip at 20% of the charter fee for great service, less than that for "normal and expected service."

As a charter capatin and instructor based in San Francisco for many years, I developed a rule about customers tipping. Start in Times Square, New York City. Draw concentric circle around that point. The further the client's home address was from Times Square, the less likely I was to get a tip. Anybody from NYC, virtually assured. Chicago? 50/50 shot. Anywhere in California? Forgetaboutit. They were entitled to whatever you could do for them.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Are bareboat charterers generally giving gratuities to the charter company staff? At the end of a recent charter, I tipped 20% of the charter fee. I wonder if that is typical or unusual.

The office staff and the checkout captain were very helpful in a number of ways such that we had a great trip, so I was comfortable giving the monetary "thank you". Still, 20% of a charter fee is a huge chunk of change, so as I prepare for my next bareboat charter, I am wondering again what are the tipping etiquette rules for this situation, and what others generally do.

Regards,
Joe R.
A recurring question I have in regard to a crewed charter or bareboat charter why the heck should we base the tip in the rental cost of the boat? The crews cost to the charterer pales in comparison to the cost for the boat but we are asked to base a tip on total cost including the boat, This seems idiotic and it is not an American thing as many like to cry but seems to exist throughout the charter industry. I for one would prefer doing in a straight forward manner and prefer to leave ambiguity out of it.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:12   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Thanks, all, for the interesting and helpful response.
JoeRobertJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
As a charter capatin and instructor based in San Francisco for many years, I developed a rule about customers tipping. Start in Times Square, New York City. Draw concentric circle around that point. The further the client's home address was from Times Square, the less likely I was to get a tip. Anybody from NYC, virtually assured. Chicago? 50/50 shot. Anywhere in California? Forgetaboutit. They were entitled to whatever you could do for them.
They paid for your services. If you didn't charge enough to make a living, that's your poor business planning.

To the original question: Unless they did something out of the ordinary, no tip is required for a bareboat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:14   #9

Boat: Leopard 40 / Moorings 4000

We do not throw away food left over at the end of the charter as our "tip" to the boat cleaners. My wife loves to bake and we will give muffins & etc. to the office and technical staff in what we feel is a much more personal "thank you" for extra service than simply cash.
tmccaffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:32   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
They paid for your services. If you didn't charge enough to make a living, that's your poor business planning.

I agree bareboat topping is very much optional, unless they went “above and beyond.”

While I am sure to get flamed- I am posting so people know the other side of the story.

Charter captains (Masters) are notoriously underpaid for the work they do and the responsibility they have. Most arrive an hour before the charter and wrap-up 45 min or more after you are gone. While some will say “they should charge more” the reality is that charter captains do NOT set the rate. The rate you are charged is set by the charter company. Some even take a percentage of what you are billed for the captains services.

So if at the end of your one day, or multi-Day charter the captain did a good job, please tip him. If he did an exemplary job— tip him well.

Just a different viewpoint.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Charter captains (Masters) are notoriously underpaid for the work they do and the responsibility they have. Most arrive an hour before the charter and wrap-up 45 min or more after you are gone. While some will say “they should charge more” the reality is that charter captains do NOT set the rate. The rate you are charged is set by the charter company. Some even take a percentage of what you are billed for the captains services.
And the reason they are "underpaid" is because people tip...so the compnay doesn't feel obliged to pay a fair rate.

Though I suspect many in the charter business do so because while hard work, they get to spend time cruising on boats and get paid...so even without the tips and being "underpaid", they would still do it.

PS: I put "underpaid" in quotes because if the companies have no trouble finding licensed captains at the rates they offer, they are paid appropriately.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:21   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I never received a tip as mgr. in bareboat charter industry nor did I know of anyone else on staff who did.
We received tips as captain and crew. Less up here in the PNW. 10 to 15% in the Caribbean & Med unless the weekly rate was over 50G's then more like 10% on the high side. Biggest tip was 85G's for 400K. 20% to captain & crew was generous but not all that uncommon. Definitely on the high side. Tipping is changing. I remember when service compres (spelling?) was standard in Paris. Now no tipping throughout most of Europe. They just charge more.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:59   #13

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Police who risk their lives don't get tipped. Firemen who save lives dont get tipped. Surgeons who cure disease dont get tipped. Yet those who carry food to a table, tie a rope to a cleat or pump diesel fuel into a tank are?

Are you people serious?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:59   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

What he/she said!

Institutionalized tipping that we see all over the service sectors is simply a way for owners to offload the cost of their workers directly onto the customers. They can artificially keep prices lower by hiding the full cost of the service.

It's an expanding practice that should be discouraged.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:03   #15

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Holy smoke! 20% on a bareboat charter? Well, I don't know what to say except it would be damned unusual for me to do that.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, charter