Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2011, 21:06   #1

The Things We Do to Make it Happen

After meeting Dani and decided that we would embark on some sort of cruising sabbatical, it became apparent that our land anchored lives would have to change in many ways to facilitate our burgeoning dream.

On the top of the list were two main things. What will we do about our jobs? And what will I do about my house?

Dani didn't own a home but I had purchased my second house and settled in. At the time I thought the idea of cruising was out of reach because I didn't want to cruise alone and the caliber of woman I was hunting courting would NEVER agree to the cruising lifestyle. But the unthinkable happened and I found myself in the position that allowed me to have a mate and to head off to sea. But now I was saddled with a beautiful home.

Rent or Sell?

The eternal question. For me personally the answer was to try to sell. I come from a long line of family members that attempted rental properties over the years and every one of them had been burned. The idea of a tenant destroying my home while I'm in some far off place haunted me. The alternative was to put my home up for sale in a hostile market.

Dreams are never easy. I did put my house up for sale. It sat on the market for upwards of four months with not even an offer. I did have some nuns come and try to rent it. It was tempting. What better tenant could one ask for than retired nuns? (I didn't know they retired.)

Dani and I budgeted diligently and decided on a maximum loss that we could sustain and still comfortably meet our time table for casting off. Finally, 5 months after hitting the market I got an offer and signed a purchase agreement that would end with me taking a hit of around 10k.

I found the 10k loss acceptable to make my dream a reality. What are you willing or able to sacrifice to adopt the cruising lifestyle?

In some ways, the time it takes to refit the boat we are working on could be said to have more value than the loss on the house. It could also be said that the time we spend away from work in our prime earning years would also be much MUCH more valuable. But in the end the loss on the sale of my home hurts me more than those two combined. Why is this? What part of our psyche makes that determination. I believe it must be because I have fun working on our old boat and the dream of leaving appeals to me so greatly the sacrifice of working time doesn't bother me.

On some level, a couple our age with solid and upwardly mobile career paths would need to be irrational to leave. But on some level I also find it liberating to take that path regardless of the faulty logic.

What has been your hardest sacrifice in the monetary arena? Are you settled with it? How did you cope with the reality of that sacrifice?
Old 01-08-2011, 19:20   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: The Things We Do to Make it Happen

Money is the number 1 determinant in whether it is advisable to quit your job and take off cruising. Nothing is free in this world these days. So having a continuing stream of income from investments, annuities, bonds, etc. is needed.
- - Until you have been cruising full time for at least a year or two, I would advise to not sell your land house or totally cut your ties with employers. Keep some bridges unburnt in case you need to return to land life.
- - Think about what if's - don't drop your medical coverage if that is possible, as you may end up having to fly back for some serious medical attention not available outside the country.
- - Then the biggy, as much as you and your soulmate really think this is the "answer" - living in a confined space (boat) 24/7/365 with each other; stepping over each other; smelling each other; and putting up with eccentric personal habits is rather stressful on any relationship. Odds are against you lasting more than 2 years as a full time live aboard couple. But then again there are some really great couples out long term cruising - there just aren't that many.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 20:09   #3

When you're lying on your death bed looking back at your life, are you going to wish you had that $10k back or wish you would have taken the leap and set sail? That's the way I try to look at things.
Old 01-08-2011, 20:41   #4

Corpus has nearly the same thoughts as I. When I'm dying I want the list of "I wish I had done" things as short as possible. Many wait for retirement then find they are too old or in poor health...most still short of money. Few people actually cruise. In the Pacific about 200 to 300 boats a year. Millions want to, own a boat, talk about it, but can't untie from the marina. The hardest part for most is untying that line. Do it while you can really enjoy it. Go back to work later and you will find a totally different understanding of what is important in life, how society works and what part you want to play in it. JMO
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 18:54   #5

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

hi:

I used to be in the software business making obscene dollars/day, but was miserable. What a soul destroying line of work for me. My wife loves her job and my decades of miserly behaviour -> savings said QUIT WORKING, so I did.

Cutting firewood at an imputed value of about 100/day isn't "economic", but leaves me with fewer ulcers I am sure.

I say have a reasonable bag of gold and then do what you want, career be damned.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote