Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2011, 04:16   #136

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: The Market Has Turned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
AUD is currently USD 1.03. It fell 3% last week because of negative news coming out of Greece and nothing to do with Australia itself. It will rise again.

As for boats, 8 months on the market is typical rather than long.

. . . . . . . Yet again VV is too quick for me. Sigh !
Exchange rates have a lot to do with the global economy and foreign trade. Australia is very dependent on the Chinese economy so keep an eye on what's happening there.
Old 13-09-2011, 04:42   #137

Boat: Achilles 840

I bought my boat in June, it had been on the market for 18 months and reduced in price several times. I put in an offer 15% below the asking price and it was accepted.
From the same brokerage, look at how many "Reduced" flags are next to the adverts!

Boats for Sale
Old 13-09-2011, 08:04   #138

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

I was always told, if you want somethiong out of life, you have to go get it yourself..
dosent matter to me what is going on with the world around me or weather the market is up or down and I dont pay much attention to it..
what matters to me is to gain what I want, and be happy about it..
All I have is paid off, including my home, I have a fair amount of money in the bank, My business is booming, and we just signed the lease yeasterday on the building next to us as we're expanding..
So, you've got a choice, to set around bitching about how bad it is, or get off your a** and do something about it..
Its hard for me to accept the state of the economy as this is our best year yet and everything is looking bright .........
Have a great day everyone....................................
Old 13-09-2011, 08:15   #139

Boat: mt34dt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I was always told, if you want somethiong out of life, you have to go get it yourself..
dosent matter to me what is going on with the world around me or weather the market is up or down and I dont pay much attention to it..
All I have is paid off, including my home, I have a fair amount of money in the bank, My business is booming, and we just signed the lease yeasterday on the building next to us as we're expanding..
So, you've got a choice, to set around bitching about how bad it is, or get off your a** and do something about it..
Its hard for me to accept the state of the economy as this is our best year yet and everything is looking bright .........
Anomalies exist everywhere, but outliers do not make proofs. It is wonderful you are having a great experience, but it is not the norm no matter what you tell yourself. You are not required to accept anything but what you what too, but that does not change fact.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...78C3YV20110913
Old 13-09-2011, 08:31   #140

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hey, Randyonr3... great to hear a positive story and attitude in these days of gloom and doom! There are some good things happening out there. It has been my experience that when everyone is saying how we are all going to hell in a handbasket, there are always some good things happening... those who keep a positive attitude in tough times usually are a head of the curve when the turnaround happens. This same thing is true at sea... those with a 'get 'er done' attitude tend to be better equipped mentally to handle the rigors and challenges of offshore passagemaking... cheers, Capt Phil
Old 13-09-2011, 08:52   #141
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
So speaks a man who is self employed IMO the secret is getting off one's arse - unfortunately that is my great weakness

Unless we all do go back to the economic stone age (IMO jury still out on that one) then always will be the opportunity to make money working for self - helps a lot though if you didn't p#ss all your capital away in the good times on toys and living above income, and are now left with the financing.......
Old 13-09-2011, 09:11   #142
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Good luck with your endevour..remember all this is subject to change..I havent had a job since I was 18yrs old(46now) always been self-employed...its when everybody else is affected that it hits home...as rich people dont buy expensive toys...then its time to shift gears..go to work for the GOV..they are the ones spending the money...
Old 13-09-2011, 09:45   #143
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we are sitting on 13 pesos to one dollar right now here in mexico.....
Old 13-09-2011, 10:23   #144

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We bought our catamaran last Oct out of San Diago and the seller wanted to to buy a second house in Hawaii. the past owner reduced the price by $37,000.00 down to $98,000.00 and I made a cash offer and he took it. I think he saw prices going down and really wanted to sell. Cash can get you a great deal these days.

I inheriated the cash from my dad and he had said to buy something sporty with the money. I think he was thinking about a fancy sports car but he was the one that at age 9 ( in 1959 ) started taking me out 40 miles off shore deep fishing in the gulf stream off Datona Fla, I've been hooked ever sence, now I'm living both our dreams he loved the open ocean If were in a long recession at least we'll be sailing thru it.
Old 13-09-2011, 10:31   #145

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
hows the aus=us$ these days
bricks n mortar better than worthless paper
About the same as it was in March of this year...
1 AUD = 1.0326 USD
Old 13-09-2011, 10:44   #146

A recession is when your niegbor losses his job, a depression is when you lose your job. Just sayin. I just came off a terrible financial stint. I'll save that story for the thread titled "Junk show". Anyways. . . I am shopping at this point and hoping to have cash in hand for a purchase in May or April. I am with Jamel! Me and my kids are going to be live aboards and avoid the risk of a degradation in quality of life. I have over 30 boats bookmarked in my favorites. I have been shopping for 6 months and have been watching late model single hull sail boats prices decreasing. I found a 35' ketch 2 weeks ago with a pilot house in the mid $20K's. A month ago anything with a pilot house was in the mid $30k's and up.
Question: does anybody have the skinny on how to find repossessed boats for sale?
It is a bit difficult shopping for a boat on the west coast from SLC, UT. Marina websites tend to be a bit primitive filled with outdated phone numbers and contact information. It is quite amazing to me that these modern business are still living in the 90's.
Old 13-09-2011, 10:45   #147

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

good example is US poverty rate at 1 in 6, worst in years
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/us/14census.html

WHO is going to hire all the unemployed?
Bank of America announced 30,000 more to be let go.
There are some people who still have good jobs. I have a friend in the IT JAVA development and he says his business is booming and they are hiring. He is part of Ferguson, part of Wolsey. I think the people who have jobs and make good money dont understand those who do not. They do what they want, buy houses, cars, boats, take expensive vacations, while the others cant do anything except breathe and wait for the welfare checks.

Most likely the unemployment rate is a lot higher than the US govt says.
I read if they stop getting unemployment benefits, they are no longer included in the statistic.

not since the 1920's have their been such a big discrepency in incomes.
Middle class shrinks into poverty.
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...FtZXJpY2FzbWk-

A deflationary depression occurred afterwards.
Old 13-09-2011, 10:53   #148

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

History show many of those wealthy presently became that way during the great depression. There are always opportunities in market downturns to position yourself to make money when things go back up. Conditions right now remind me very much of the 70's doldrums. No consolation for those out of work, but eventually people still have to eat, and sleep. There will always be work for those willing to provide those needs affordably , just not maybe in the manner you will prefer to provide them.
Old 13-09-2011, 10:58   #149

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Steezypops where are you looking to live on the boat you are going to buy ? I woud suggest you find a good broker that knows the area your going to liveaboard.

We watched a funny movie " Pirates of Salt Lake" have you seen it ?
Old 13-09-2011, 11:14   #150

Webejammin, I found a boat in Billingham Washington and a boat in Chula Vista, CA. in the my price range. So it really doesn't matter to me, just as long as I am on the west coast. I figure I can sail whereever we want to end up, and really that is part of the deal. Discussions in the past have scared me away from brokers . . . your thoughts? I want to pay cash for the boat and live in marinas and moorages that are inexpensive. This pretty much rules out SanDiego. I am on a mission to reduce living costs as it seems very difficult to raise cash inflow at this point.

Living in SLC for the past 16 years has jaded me from local film productions (it's just to damn close to home). you would have to live here to understand. I have never heard of that movie, though. I wonder if some of my new friends down at the Salt Lake Marina have Cameos in this flick.
Closed Thread