For general info David is also having a bit of a PM dialog with the Moderators.
There are a lot of ways this can get derailed. I have seen these threads before.
- Paid vs. non-paid crew vs. crew paying - This is a rats nest and there are many polar opinions. We won't let this thread devolve to that because at the end of the day skippers and crews are adult and they can make their own decisions.
- "Sharing Expenses" - Hud posted a great summary. Yes it is one opinion and it is US-centric. How you personally interpret "chartering" vs. sharing expenses is really up to you. Our advice is to become as informed as possible and make your choice. (Hint - A separate thread on charter
vs. sharing expenses regulations
might be appropriate and leave this thread for hooking up skippers and crews)
We have a fully developed crew finder forum already running. It seems to work pretty well. The only difference here is that there is an idea to hook up couples on an expense sharing basis and/or revive the boat swapping concept
(which has also been discussed in past threads)
CF would also prefer that the individual financial arrangements/agreements between parties not be hashed out in public forum as it could skirt our non-commercialism rules. It could be this easy.
- Cruiser has a boat and interested in taking on crew
- Cruiser posts his parameters (demographics, journey etc)
- Interested parties contact via PM to work out the details and cost sharing