Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2009, 22:38   #1

pirate Teenager Needs Cheap Boat

Hi i am new too sailing and i am planning too buy a boat within the next year, and i need help trying too figure what would be best within a price range of 30k at the most.
I am looking for a boat for solo sailing that i can live on for about 2 or 2 1/2 year period without having trouble handling alone so smaller with one person accommodations is what i am looking for. Also i am planning on taking it worldwide so it has too be sturdy and ready for rough conditions.
but i am looking for a boat that is around 33 feet with good handling.
I am also restricted to southern California for purchase.
So i just need a list of boats that would fit within the price range cheaper is better if it does not need repair and is sturdy. as well i will most likely be outfitting it with new hardware as far as electronic radar and radio systems go.
I don't need anything immediately because i am looking for a boat that i can buy within a 1 1/2 year period. : )
dove111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 23:28   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Please don't take this the wrong way, but....

If you are new to sailing, and working with, lets face it, a pretty limited budget, then sailing off around the world may be a bit ambitious.

You will not get an awful lot of boat for 30k, especially if you want a decent offshore blue-water boat that you can live aboard, for a $30k budget. Not to say that small boats cannot be single-handed around the world... plenty of people have, but few of them would be described as "new to sailing". Relative newcomers to sailing have also sailed around the world, but rarely in small / cheap boats (c.f. Bummfuzzle).

Having said that, in the current financial situation, there are quite a lot of good boats going for cheap... and this will continue to be the case for qutie some time, so you may pick up a lot of boat for now a lot of money if you are in the right place at the right time.

Personally, if I was looking for a boat to sail solo, around the world, I'd be looking for something like an S&S 34', but others will no dount have other ideas.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 23:47   #3

well i am not exactly the newest too sailing i am just new too ocean sailing i have done a lot of fresh water sailing with friends when i lived in Maine, moose head, big Indian , a few other lakes and rivers. i just have not done far open ocean sailing. and i have not done solo sailing on a boat bigger than 8 feet : P. And sailing around the world i know is not going too happen right now i am just working on planning everything out like finding a boat and learning navigation. so i was just looking on here for help on what i should be looking for with the price range i have and mind you that is just the price for the boat i have a lot more for equipment sales.(Lol the boy sailing around the world solo right now payed 6k for a 33 foot boat called the intrepid and so far he has made it too panama from Del ray)
Old 17-05-2009, 23:57   #4

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dove111 View Post
well i am not exactly the newest too sailing i am just new too ocean sailing i have done a lot of fresh water sailing with friends when i lived in Maine, moose head, big Indian , a few other lakes and rivers. i just have not done far open ocean sailing. and i have not done solo sailing on a boat bigger than 8 feet : P. And sailing around the world i know is not going too happen right now i am just working on planning everything out like finding a boat and learning navigation. so i was just looking on here for help on what i should be looking for with the price range i have and mind you that is just the price for the boat i have a lot more for equipment sales.(Lol the boy sailing around the world solo right now payed 6k for a 33 foot boat called the intrepid and so far he has made it too panama from Del ray)
The boy sailing around the world (Zac is the boy I think you're talking about), did get his boat for a cheap price, but he and his dad (a shipwright) put a lot into the boat for his trip...and he had lots of supporters.

What ever boat you get, you can figure you're going to have to put money into it to bring it up to snuff. In your case I would hold back at least $10,000 for repairs and upgrades, and look for a boat in 'good' condition for under $20,000...even a boat in 'good' condition is going to need some work to make it better.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 00:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
The boy sailing around the world (Zac is the boy I think you're talking about), did get his boat for a cheap price, but he and his dad (a shipwright) put a lot into the boat for his trip...and he had lots of supporters.

What ever boat you get, you can figure you're going to have to put money into it to bring it up to snuff. In your case I would hold back at least $10,000 for repairs and upgrades, and look for a boat in 'good' condition for under $20,000...even a boat in 'good' condition is going to need some work to make it better.
well my point is i am looking for 30k boat nd 10 is what i am looking too put into it hopefully less but i am already looking at possible future sponsors if i get that far and as far as computer systems i can deal with that fairly easily.
and yes i was talking about zac i have been following his story for sum time now, and i understand his position.
Old 18-05-2009, 02:31   #6

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
By way of an example of what might suit your needs:

1973 Morgan Out Island Center cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Desirable features are - cared for older "overbuilt" design, full keel, high balast/displacement ratio, low engine hours, standing rigging well within 10 yr expected lifespan, good sail inventory, good electronics.

Any deficiencies in these areas will quickly eat up a $10K budget.

Sail with crew until you have enough exp. to skipper solo, your goal is def. achievable so good luck to you.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 13:13   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dove,

Welcome to the forum of many opinions. You might want to follow this thread here on the forum for some good discussion about what you want to do. Check out the link and the book that is recommended.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rch-25746.html
Good luck in your search. Sometimes us old timers forget that we started out young with big dreams and not too much experience too.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 13:28   #8

Teenager with $30k for a sailboat!! Must be nice..

good luck with your search

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 13:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Hey guys,
What about a Cat 27 in great condition for about 7k (which is what they are running) and he buys the book that shows what needs to be redone on it? I think it is "The seaworthy offshore sailboat" that has redoing a Cat 27 in the appendix. He should be able to do it for about 21k.
Now I don't like the rudder in the Cat 27's, but it will at least give him some direction.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 15:11   #10

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Sometimes us old timers forget that we started out young with big dreams and not too much experience too.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Sometimes I guess we might forget what it's like to be living on the edge again, but there are easier ways of doing things than living on the edge. I remember sailing across the ocean once in a small boat that didn't have squat on it, and it was really an adventure to remember (at 19 who thinks about dying), but no way I would do that again. At 19 I didn't think further out than the next day, and trying to think out as far as a week was like trying to think a year into the future. I believe what everyone is trying to do is help this lad think out as far as a year, not discourage him in his endeavor.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 17:39   #11

Go for it!!

Mate,Go for it you can do it!!
Heaps of people have sailed around the world in small cheap yachts.
look at some yachts that are proven blue water boats.

pearson triton 28
the contessa 26 /JJ taylor
cape dory 25D

are all cheap yachts and have sailed around the world.

Do a few sailing course's and that will put you on the fast track to learn,and do a navigation course too.

cheers
OceanBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 17:48   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Newt,

I think the Catalina 27 is the very bare minimum for real cruising and liveaboard. Certainly they are the "Chevy Chevette" of the marina and everyone has them sooner or later but that doesn't make them a world cruiser. For coastal and inland cruising I would get one just because they have pretty good construction and sail pretty well.

Hi Jiffy, I didn't say, "jump out there and do it." I recommended a thread, a link and a book. I also recommend the public library for a good place to read up on navigation and what it takes to cruise.

Kind regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 18:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Teenager with $30k for a sailboat!! Must be nice..

good luck with your search
Well i don't have 30k yet that is just what i know i can make in the next year, i have a lot of odd jobs around town i can complete on daily course along with a few 2 & 3k jobs available but im waiting for my work permit too set it in school, but i have a neighbor right now that has given me a job that pays 30 dollars an hour soo i figure if i don't spend a dime ( except for charts and books) i have enough saved up already for this too work out.
Old 18-05-2009, 18:14   #14

thanks for all the help guys soo far i have looked at probably 30 listings in the last week and their have been alot of fine boats some with unreasonable prices but iv found quite a few that have been recently fitted with new equipment (sails,engines, rigging) and they have low prices and no jobs that are really needed to fix it up. But i have time soo im not really in any rush on buying a boat immeadiatly ill just keep taking suggestions and looking into them. thanks for all the help : ) i appreaciate it.
Old 18-05-2009, 20:45   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I agree with you John. But a Cat 27 is a great learning boat for getting your act together. Something he will need to do before he sets sail. It can be modified enough to circumnavigate- but more importantly it will teach him what he needs to do in order to circumnavigate. A Triton would be another beater that would do the job. Dove- half the equation is the boat. But the real important other half is you- how well are you prepared for bluewater?? Get a cheap boat and sail to Catalina Island. Or better yet do it on someone else's beater boat!!
BTW- this is not meant to insult Tritons- which can be made into a great bluewater boat. I am using the term beater to mean a boat that needs work and can be easily bought for less.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote