Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 16:11   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"A bunch of drunk and dumb southern folk huh? "

A drunk is a drunk no matter which state you find 'em in.

Although it is peculiar how many long-time and respected journalists and award-winning newspapers refer to their HOME STATE as "FloriDUH".

Swamps, bugs, heat, humidity, hurricanes, gators, and the worst lightning in the US could arguably be called the good lord's way of gently suggesting "This is not your land, take the hint." Some do. Others play golf. Dimpled chad, anyone?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 16:39   #32

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Never heard of anyone wanting to visit New Jersey, Iowa, Oregon, Delaware, etc... for the nice weather.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 17:41   #33

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
"A bunch of drunk and dumb southern folk huh? "

A drunk is a drunk no matter which state you find 'em in.

Although it is peculiar how many long-time and respected journalists and award-winning newspapers refer to their HOME STATE as "FloriDUH".

Swamps, bugs, heat, humidity, hurricanes, gators, and the worst lightning in the US could arguably be called the good lord's way of gently suggesting "This is not your land, take the hint." Some do. Others play golf. Dimpled chad, anyone?
Sir - I am only saying this once for hopefully your benefit. I found your comments deeply offensive and disturbing. I just finished working for a bully for the past 2 years. Your comments made me cringe. I came here to particpate and learn. I will no linger be a member of this forum.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 19:47   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dk, I sympathize with your problems working under a bully. My expression of my dislike for the state of Florida, and my dislike of drunks, has got nothing to do with bullying anyone, much less you. Nothing has been said which should personally offend you. If you choose to take offense...that's your choice, but not my act or intention.

Some folks don't like Minnesota winters. First time I was in Chicago, a UPS driver complained "But its all FLAT." No one likes everyplace, and I find oppressive heat, humidity, and other factors that combine to make me dislike Florida.

You like it? That's just great, enjoy it!

How about that "love bug" season on the west coast? Free food, manna from heaven. Yummy.

Everyplace has its pros and cons, if you're going to be deeply disturbed and run away every time someone expresses a point of view that conflicts with your own, that's your choice. In my view, not a beneficial choice for yourself or anyone else, but I suppose that's another thing we'd disagree on. A FORUM is a place where people express different points of view and engage in argument and discourse--which does not mean altercation.

Lots of sunshine, cheap property...oops, real estate market collapsed. No income taxes and only half the number of government employees per capita compared to the US average. If it works for you, enjoy it. If you haven't seen some other places, check 'em out. Even with all that free sunshine and no income tax, not everyone wants to live in Florida. Or any other state.

You think Florida is heaven and I've wronged it? By all means, engage in discourse and tell folks why you love it.
Old 22-12-2010, 06:34   #35

Boat: Hunter 420
Florida has snakes, hurricanes, bad schools, traffic, roaches, lightning, gators, pushy yankees, high crime, bad water, hot weather, dirty beaches, bad restaurants, mosquitoes, lousy radio stations, dirty grocery stores, most of the nations crooks...but the people still come. Darn it!
Everyone's from out of state here anyway. So who are those dumb southern folk? I can't find any Floridians!
Old 22-12-2010, 07:01   #36

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I think the references to "less than knowledgable" workers in the DMV is valid which is why you need to do the online access to the actual regs/laws of a State. I have found in most places and with most laws - ignorance of the law is worthless as an excuse.
- - If those who are USCG documented and registered in Florida - you will see on your annual Fla renewal certificate and on the decal your USCG documentation number "DO 12345" instead of a "FL 3456 XX" number. On your dinghy FL registration you will see the "FL" assigned number which must be displayed on the dinghy.
- - It is all very well explained in both the online Florida (and other States) websites and also in the brochure that Florida hands out for Recreational Boats.
- - Since a judge will not even start to listen to "well the DMV clerk said . . ." excuse, I would suggest going to the "source" and relying on it. There are many CF threads that contain "cut and paste" and direct links to the State's reg's on the subject.
- - -
- - As to having a boat "Titled" in a State and then getting it USCG Documented - I -don't quote me - believe that is not allowed. You can have one or the other, but not legally both. The USCG Documentation is a "certificate of ownership" and supercedes State Titles. The State will certainly cancel the State Title once it gets a record of your USCG documentation. Also the new USCG documentation has a transfer of ownership section on the back of the document or at least it used to have one. Nobody ever looks at the back side, including me anymore. I find the "backsides" of other things more interesting. . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 08:28   #37

Boat: Westsail 32
[QUOTE=osirissail;583325]I think the references to "less than knowledgable" workers in the DMV is valid which is why you need to do the online access to the actual regs/laws of a State. I have found in most places and with most laws - ignorance of the law is worthless as an excuse.

Sound advice, not conjecture.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 15:06   #38

Boat: looking build or buy a boat to escape from the rat race..
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
You must have either misunderstood or whoever told you that is totally uninformed. Florida has no state income tax. If you do not have proof of property tax payment elsewhere, you will be required to pay 7% of the boat value as sales tax in Florida.

So what do you pay if you build your boat?
If someone could help me with that, I would be most grateful.

Scott
Fernao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 15:51   #39

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernao View Post
So what do you pay if you build your boat?
If someone could help me with that, I would be most grateful.

Scott
Where are you building it and in what state are you going to use it? The answer to your q lies in the applicable state tax code(s) as to how they value a homemade item.
Each state implements it's tax valuation differently as it applies to your item.

To Hellosailor - how does insulting broad groups of people generally work for you? A generally accepted response to that behavior is to call you some equally ignorant name but I won't stoop to your level.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 15:56   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We've lived aboard in Florida for 39 years, though we often cruise to Maine for the summers. Many may be disappointed, but many cluster in places that are crowded and full of others not familiar with what is available. I'd rather be anchored nearby this nude sunbather, seen today, than in the tourist meccas!

Look alive! We're watching..

There are beautiful wilderness anchorages in Florida.
Old 30-01-2011, 16:00   #41

Boat: looking build or buy a boat to escape from the rat race..
Quote:
Where are you building it and in what state are you going to use it? The answer to your q lies in the applicable state tax code(s) as to how they value a homemade item.
Each state implements it's tax valuation differently as it applies to your item.

To Hellosailor - how does insulting broad groups of people generally work for you? A generally accepted response to that behavior is to call you some equally ignorant name but I won't stoop to your level.
S/V Illusion: I will more than likely be building it in FL, but I will more than likely retire to Rio Dulce and possibly get residence there. With that said, I would probably change the registration on the boat like the cruise ships do ... (They evidently know something that I don't...)
Fernao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 16:02   #42
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Scott, if you built it, you didn't BUY it, so there's no basis for sales or use tax. On the other hand, if you plan to stick a motor in it, you may have to comply with other regulations for being the manufacturer of a motor vehicle, as well as a boat builder.

Homebuilt will still need to apply for a HIN. No HIN? No registration, no title. No insurance. No marinas.

You might want to contact the USCG and take a look at Florida's web sites directly. They all answer questions directly and the answers will probably be fairly simple, once ytou answer their questions about exactly what you are doing, where you plan to do it, and what your residency status is.
Old 30-01-2011, 16:08   #43
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Quote:
Illusion, you can't get out of bed without someone taking imagined insult about it. Wear a red shirt in a blue turf, and a gang shoots you. Wear a blue shirt in a red turf, and the other gang stabs you.

Too many kids who got too many awards for simply showing up get insulted over the fact that other folks just won't always agree with them or praise their decisions. Life ain't fair and everyone won't always agree. Deal with it or not, that's your choice and that choice is on you alone.

Insulting broad groups of people? Gee, the Founding Fathers only planned on having what, some 20% of all Americans being able to vote. Ever. Yathink they insulted anyone? And that makes them all bad bad evil people too? Or were they just trying to avoid Idiocracy, the best they could?

Or as they used to say in the newspaper business, when BOTH sides are screaming at you, you're probably doing a good objective job of describing the emperor's new cloths.
Old 30-01-2011, 16:50   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
....Insulting broad groups of people? Gee, the Founding Fathers only planned on having what, some 20% of all Americans being able to vote. Ever. Yathink they insulted anyone? And that makes them all bad bad evil people too? Or were they just trying to avoid Idiocracy, the best they could?...............
Hellosailor, Relax, your level of discord seems quite acceptable. Many posts may be disappointing to some and we recognize your disappointment with Florida. You may wish to balance your posts with a mention of what you do favor as a cruising locale or return to the topic of taxes.
Old 30-01-2011, 16:56   #45

Congratulation hellosailer, you are being awarded todays gold star award for exceptional common sense. In the face of overwhelming dumbed down thought mumblings, you stand tall, and are not afraid to call a spade a spade.
It is good to see that there are still a few people left who stand for common sense, and refuse to sucumb to the dumbed down masses, aka: Bahh-Bahh-Bahh, hurry up jethro American Idol is about to come on the box of knowledge.

As a side note, the movie "Idiocracy" is a sad IMHO, clear example of where society is headed, and fast.
I think the reason it was not a bigger hit (commercially) is that the masses realized, even if only on a subconcious level that not only did the shoe fit...it fit quite well.
And even idiots do not like to be reminded of the fact, that they are idiots.
And of course idiots come in all shapes and sizes and are hard to identify...until they open their mouths and spout nonsense.
Thank you for stepping up and saying No to Idiocracy, and not just letting it slide like most people do these days.

I am reminded of this quote when writing this award letter:
"All it takes for the forces of evil (or Idiocracy in this case) to rule, is for enough good men to do nothing"

Now even just a few years ago, well maybe 30 or 40 years ago, it would be generally thought silly to commend someone for saying something so obvious.
However, today it needs to be recognized, acknowledged, and encouraged lest the Idiots gain even more ground.

Hellosailer, I salute you.
Mountainview42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
taxes