Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 14:20   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Surveyor near Stuart, Florida?

Can anyone suggest a good surveyor in the vicinity of Stuart, Fl? It's for a pre-purchase survey on a 40 ft monohull.
Thanks
Tom
Tom1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 15:20   #2

Paul Anstey
Marine Surveyor
(954) 270-1949
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 22:11   #3

Re: Surveyor near Stuart, Florida?

Jaasun,
Thanks for your response. I think its a recommendation; but I can't tell if its a glowing endorsement.
Tom
Old 04-03-2011, 22:59   #4

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"

Tom contact Mac sails , IN STUART,they will steer you to the best surveyor FOR YOUR TYPE OF VESSEL. and they are good guys OLE

P.S. I wish I was in stuart i am just in from plowing snow note time
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 13:05   #5

I am replying to my own post, in hopes it will move up in the queue and be noticed by some Stuart area sailors who recently went through a survey.
So far, I've got some names of surveyors, but no recommendations from any of their customers. One of the names I've received has impressive credentials and website, and he's included on Boat US's list of surveyors. That's better than nothing, but it still doesn't give me the warm feeling I'm looking for.
Its for an older boat ('95) and I'm going to need the best help I can find. Thanks for any suggestions.
Tom
Old 06-03-2011, 14:50   #6

Boat: Gibson 50', Columbia 8.3, Harbor 20, Hunter 14, Trac 16, Several Lasers

I am willing to second the recommendation for Paul Antsey

He just did a survey for us on an older Columbia 8.3 and we'll use him again in about a year when we get our large catamaran.

He was professional, prompt, thorough and provided no BS advice. He was price competitive and know sailboats better than anyone else I have ever met.

If you have no preference for where you Haul Out then I would recommend Stuart Marine.

Best of luck on your purchase and don't hesitate to drop me a PM
offline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 14:51   #7

Tom...I have used this surveyor a few times. The last survey i had done was number 11,800. I think he has probably done more surveys than anyone around...and his prices are better than others too.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:07   #8

Boat: sold our IP, now motoring along on the dark side in a Heritage East Sundeck 36

I'll third the recommendation for Paul Anstey.

Paul did the pre-purchase survey for me this past December. He's a NAMS accredited/certified surveyor, located in Rockledge, FL (Cocoa area). Our boat was surveyed in GA - Paul dove up the night before and covered all of his own expenses for a minimal travel charge.

Nice guy and we are happy with his work. He was very accomodating and answered questions during survey, and made it a point to show me things as he found them. He also went up the mast. We received a nice concise report via email the day after survey.

I would use him again.
Old 07-03-2011, 13:22   #9

Boat: Catalina 470
Surveyor near Stuart, Florida and rigging surveyor, rigger, sailmaker in Stuart, FL

Tom,
I can highly recommend Bobby Brown, of Blue Water Marine Surveyors, Inc.
Texas and Florida Marine Surveyor

He works 1-2 weeks per month in Florida, and 2-3 weeks per month in Texas.....(I beleive he has homes in Ft. Pierce, FL and Austin, TX)
But, he will travel anywhere you require.....

I used him last in March 2007 for a survey that I desired before heading out across the Atlantic.....(and my insurance co. also requested a new survey, so I killed 2 birds with one stone)

He was prompt (answered the phone and/or returned calls quickly....and showed-up EARLY for the survey!), professional and thorough, and a very nice guy!!!!
He spent quite some time on the survey (most of the day) including much hull tapping, etc.....
(I was there the whole time, but his professioanlism showed me that he knows his stuff...)

In addition to knowing his way around a sailboat, and doing a complete and thorough survey for me (more than my insurance company needed), his prices were competitive.......

He provided a complete survey report, with many details, lots of hi-res photos, etc. (2 hard copies as well as e-mail attachment), including many things that even my original survey didn't......(I think the survey report was something like 60 pages!)

As with any service, your mileage may vary......but I WILL be using Bobby again next year.....

Bobby Brown
Phone Number: 214-522-3505
Cell Phone: 214-704-7750
Texas and Florida Marine Surveyor

9434 Zyle Road
Austin, Texas 78737
United States
Phone Number: 214-522-3505
Cell Phone: 214-704-7750

Email: bluwater@airmail.net

Tom, I do hope this helps....

As for rigging / sailmakers....
I've been sailing offshore for many, mnay years (starting as a kid, in the 1960's), and have been a customer of Mack Sails for many, many years (and Mack-Shaw Sails for years before that)......so, if you need a recommend for a rigging survey, and/or rigging work, sail work, etc....
Give Colin Mack or his brother, Travis Blane a call at Mack Sails in Stuart, FL.....
772-283-2306
Mack Sails Sailmakers for mainsails, headsails, genoas, spinnakers, lazy jacks

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 15:29   #10

Hi,
I would also like recommendations for someone in the Jax/St Augustine area. I have emails out to the gentlemen named above.
Thanks.
jolly53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 00:34   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran

Hi Tom,

I will blow my own horn here. I am in Palm Beach Gardens, and am a SAMS surveyor. I frequent Stuart as well as the rest of south Florida. I have over 18 years of boating and sailing experience. I have recommendations on my Google Place page and on Superpages. Google my name and "Marine Surveyor" with it. Check out my website and sample surveys there. Hope to help you with your survey.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, surveyor