Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 04:00   #1

Survey in a post Irma world.

So wife and I have have a boat picked out for a couple months. It is in Florida.

Have had every intention of having a full survey done.

My understanding is the boat came completely unscathed and that is easy to believe as it is a big heavy boat and Irma ended up taking a path that left that area relatively undamaged (compared to keys, Naples...).

I confirmed with the marina that there was little to no damage to any of the boats including the one we want.

Everything that the current owner has stated about the boat prior to Irma has appeared completely honest and on the up and up. I believe it is a relationship issue that is causing the sale. They had been set to take off on journey and prepared the boat accordingly..."the boat is good to go!" Including $1,000 in food.

So....

1. Is there any chance we will be able to schedule a survey in a timely manner?
Or all surveyors in the Western Hemisphere going to tied up working with storm damage issues due to Irma and Harvey?

2. Are there alternatives to a survey by a professional?

3. What are other reasons for getting a survey that may not be so obvious(condition)?

Thanks,

Steve
getyourbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 04:47   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Survey in a post Irma world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourbone View Post
So wife and I have have a boat picked out for a couple months. It is in Florida.

My understanding is the boat came completely unscathed and that is easy to believe as it is a big heavy boat and Irma ended up taking a path that left that area relatively undamaged (compared to keys, Naples...).

I confirmed with the marina that there was little to no damage to any of the boats including the one we want.

Everything that the current owner has stated about the boat prior to Irma has appeared completely honest and on the up and up. I believe it is a relationship issue that is causing the sale. They had been set to take off on journey and prepared the boat accordingly..."the boat is good to go!" Including $1,000 in food.

So....

Or all surveyors in the Western Hemisphere going to tied up working with storm damage issues due to Irma and Harvey?

3. What are other reasons for getting a survey that may not be so obvious(condition)?

Thanks,

Steve
1. All you can do is get in-line. Phone various surveyors and see what the situation is.
2. See #3
3. Almost certainly you will need a survey for insurance. I imagine that an insurance company would only accept professional survey.
Old 14-09-2017, 04:56   #3

Exactly. You are going to have to have a survey regardless, if you want to get insurance. So you might as well start making phone calls, and get the survey done before the purchase.

Yes, a lot of surveyors are going to be very busy. And rates may go up some due to that. But I, personally, would get one anyway.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 04:59   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You don't state where you are, but it's not at all unheard of to fly in a surveyor on your dime to conduct the inspection(s). Especially if you know a good one in your current area of residence. Obviously draw up a contract with him to cover the whole event, but it should save you some stress, since his attention will be all yours, & yours alone. The bigger catch may be finding a yard to haul the boat, as they'll be quite busy now. Plus you'll want a rigger to inspect that aspect of the boat, plus an engineer to check out the engine & mechanicals. Including sending out samples of the engine & transmission fluids for analysis.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 08:58   #5

Boat: Prout Event 34

The availability of a boatyard to lift the boat for the survey will also be an issue.
john2445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 08:59   #6

My boat and dock only 1/4 mile from the Atlantic, in a short canal West of the Intracoastal Waterway suffered no damage at all again. Same for Wilma 12 years ago.

This time however the water came up several inches above the seawall
onto the sloping grass. Never occurred in 53 years.

My dock is at 2 levels one half a little over a foot higher than the other.
In Spring tides the lower level now is 4+ inches under water. Never happened when built 17 years ago.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 09:35   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourbone View Post

So....

Thanks,

Steve
Not sure why you are planning to have a damage survey on a boat you don't own when the actual owner isn't but that a whole issue in itself. You implied this isn't a pre-purchase survey...

More important, I don't think it appropriate that you tie up any surveyor, even for a day, given the monumental priority needs of owners actually here in Florida who do have damage.
Patience! And let the owner worry about it.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 09:53   #8

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

It's never good to answer a question with a question, but with respect to #3 - why wouldn't you want to get a survey done, and with the best surveyor possible?

You are intending to buy a vessel which you do not have a deep knowledge of (nor may the present owner for that matter). You are then intending to sail it offshore, putting yourself, your wife and/or your family and friends at potential risk. I think the reason to get a proper survey is fairly obvious.

After two fairly meticulous surveys of my recently purchased boat - one out and one in the water - the manifold unscrewed itself on our maiden voyage, allowing the high pressure injection pump to tear itself apart - leaving us engine-less 20 miles off Massachusetts. (Fortunately sailboats have sails, and there was fair wind back to the mainland). That was after two surveys with a reputable surveyor. Even they don't get everything, but they generally know where to look, and what to look at. The boat was only 10 years old, and well cared for - but still needed a fair bit of work.

Get in the queue, get the best surveyor you can, make sure you attend the survey - you'll learn a lot about your new new boat.

Good luck - happy sailing.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 11:22   #9

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
My boat and dock only 1/4 mile from the Atlantic, in a short canal West of the Intracoastal Waterway suffered no damage at all again. Same for Wilma 12 years ago.

This time however the water came up several inches above the seawall
onto the sloping grass. Never occurred in 53 years.

My dock is at 2 levels one half a little over a foot higher than the other.
In Spring tides the lower level now is 4+ inches under water. Never happened when built 17 years ago.
My guess would be melting ice.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 15:30   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
1. All you can do is get in-line. Phone various surveyors and see what the situation is.
2. See #3
3. Almost certainly you will need a survey for insurance. I imagine that an insurance company would only accept professional survey.
I don't think so. I worked in the yacht charter business for 10+ years and had built a few yachts and had ocean racing/delivery experience but I was not a qualified surveyor.
I did numerous surveys for insurance companies as honest as I could. If I found a problem I noted it, the owners of the boats used my info and obtained insurance.
I would think if you asked an honest boat yard manager to give you an opinion of the boat you could with all faith use it.
After the recent storm and the many thousands of damaged boats I doubt you will find a "qualified" surveyor to do a proper survey. If I were you do your own survey, take photos, note any expenditure you have made,and any repairs you have done. Submit all that with a caviat that should anything after should raise a problem then the insurance should look at it again.
Good luck.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 15:43   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

Good luck doing your own survey Deltasailor. Here in Australia I doubt the insurance company would even look at your report. Club Marine, Trident and Nautilus all clearly state on their forms that you have to be a qualified marine surveyor to do a report.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 15:57   #12

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Good luck doing your own survey Deltasailor. Here in Australia I doubt the insurance company would even look at your report. Club Marine, Trident and Nautilus all clearly state on their forms that you have to be a qualified marine surveyor to do a report.
Cheers
True here in the U.S. as well. To paraphrase, anyone who is their own surveyor has a client for a fool.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 16:55   #13

The locals will be overwhelmed. Fly a surveyor in from New England, Annapolis, etc.

It'll add $1,000 to your cost but so what, you'll get it done, right.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 22:34   #14

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Wow, u will be in shock when u see what the bill comes to if you have mechanical, rigging, and general survey done.
Then launch, haul out, and fly someone in!!!! Yikes.

It really can be some serious coinage.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 23:43   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Wow, u will be in shock when u see what the bill comes to if you have mechanical, rigging, and general survey done.
Then launch, haul out, and fly someone in!!!! Yikes.

It really can be some serious coinage.
I simply try & make the best recommendations I can Though I did leave out the bit about having a loft or sailmaker do a sails evaluation, & hiring someone to inspect & evaluate the boat's electrical system & electronics, if said system is high $, or complex.
No small bit of coin certainly, but ponder the alternatives if something of substance is missed.

And then there's the matter of hiring someone with the proper cert's & a quality thermal imager As I recall, Dockhead's doing so pointed out some important deficiencies in a candidate boat's power plant, thus giving him some key info to ponder & to bargain with.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey