Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 15:46   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Sucker's Market

1975 pearson 33, atomic 4 ,new thru hulls recent bottom paint nice sails wheel steering,good cushion,crazing on cabin top,looks great ,sails nicely from what im told in freash water on east coast 7500.00 US, maybe nego.can haul to canada for 1600.00-2500.00 depending.DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 15:52   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
I missed this line the first time. It is priceless. ROTFL
most i have meet are nice people and are not suckers just kind... and some people consider kindness a weakness....its your greatest asset.DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 16:22   #33

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57 View Post
Yes, it's a genuine, bona-fide rant. But I've already said that I don't want to steal anyone's boat. But given today's economic conditions, (and by that I mean that our dollar is above par, and that the duty on boats has been eliminated) I do not want to pay a price higher than market because somebody decided to by his boat with a $0.61 dollar.

If I see ten boats of the same type and year listed, and the one in Canada is priced significantly higher than one elsewhere, that bothers me.

I do not want to pay below market, but I do not want to pay above market.

It's a simple question of exchange rates. If you own something that is valued in U.S. dollars, as the value of the U.S. dollar declines, the value of what you own declines right along with it. I will not pay someone an inflated price for something that he paid an inflated price for when he bought it.

I am absolutely, positively, sick and tired of being taken for a sucker because I am Canadian.

Thank you, for telling everyone in the forum here what you think I am thinking, and what you think I want.

Nomad
Of course you do!!!!!
We all do!
And if you've fooled yourself into thinking you don't, you need a lot more help than this forum can provide!

Personally, while I find your whining entertaining, I think you've got a powerboat mentality in a sailing world.

Sailors look at the conditions, and set their sails and direction to get the best result. They've actually worked out that trying to change the conditions doesn't work.
Powerboaters like to hit the juice and get from A to B and bugger the conditions.

Well, the market is what it is. Set your sails and get the direction right for the conditions. You're not going to power through this one, but you can whine about it and entertain us

You've actually got a few choices... pay the price, or learn to hustle. Hustling is a game and you can have a lot of fun with it if you treat it that way, and don't get bent out of shape. It's only money. The world if full of the stuff

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 16:51   #34

A month ago, I looked at a 1988 Catalina 30, with dodger bimini, and dinghy, listed at 32,000. It needs some deck repair, which I was told would cost $1,500 to $2,000 to fix. I was told:

"You're a walking dollar sign, if you're willing to drop $32,000 on an old Catalina"

"The boat is only worth 1/3 of that" and so on. So I looked at some other boats. Prices for similar boats went as high as $44,900.

How about a nice, 2005 Catalina 28 for $92,000 Cdn?

Now, I'm being told I'm trying to steal a boat. A simple review of Yachtworld shows that boat prices are higher in Canada, sometimes, ridiculously so. There is no justification for it. What's so hard to understand about that?

This forum has been very helpful.

Thank you all.

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 17:01   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Of course you do!!!!!
We all do!
And if you've fooled yourself into thinking you don't, you need a lot more help than this forum can provide!
I know you think you understand what you thought I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you thought you read, is not what I meant.

My statement was worded badly. Here is the correction:

Of course I do! You're exactly right. But the point I was trying to make, is that this wasn't the point. It's not that I was specifically looking to pay below market, but rather that I didn't want to get hosed. That is not to imply that I would not take a deal if I could find one. Let's see if you can understand this: I do not want to pay $45,000 for a boat that has a market value of $30,000.

If you cannot or will not understand this, let me know, and I will try to clarify further.

Nomad
Old 08-07-2011, 17:29   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Delivery costs...

Should not the discussion be more on the cost of delivery from a low cost area to where the buyer lives, and the costs of traveling, accommodation and the time involved?

We should also include cost of any risk, insurance and all paperwork.

If it comes to more than $15k then it could be worth while to pay $45k for a "$30k" boat.

So, how much does it cost to come down from Canada, inspect and buy a boat and then to transport it back to Canada?

Me, I'd be spending my time in the Dominican Republic...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 17:32   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

"stealing" a boat is a good thing-- they are just jealous. goood luck......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 17:49   #38

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I just sailed up to Maine, which is nearly in Canada. Can I just say: Your weather sucks! Perhaps this is your problem. :-) Buy a plane ticket to Florida. Take your checkbook. They're just DYING to get rid of boats down there. Sail to the Bahamas. Your blood pressure will be measurably lower!
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 18:06   #39
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Let's see if you can understand this: I do not want to pay $45,000 for a boat that has a market value of $30,000.
If you pay $45,000 for a boat then the market value of that boat is $45,000. Otherwise you would have bought it for $30,000.

Don't take it personal if someone wants a lot for their boat. It's business. It's what it's worth to them. You'll buy a boat when what it's worth to you intersects with what it's worth to the seller.

Quote:
If you cannot or will not understand this, let me know, and I will try to clarify further.
It seems like there's a rash of folks lately that get upset and take personal the whole boat buying experience. If you think it sucks now, you should try buying as a three way partnership. That way everyone can be unhappy. But remember, it's nothing personal (unless the partners are relatives, but I cannot recommend this).

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 19:43   #40

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Northern freshwater boats will have a higher price than a southern salt boat. A 24 year old north boat is half as old as the southern sister ship in use.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 19:56   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Northern freshwater boats will have a higher price than a southern salt boat. A 24 year old north boat is half as old as the southern sister ship in use.
Of course, I knew that, even though there are those that dispute it. But compare a fresh water boat on the great lakes in the U.S. to a Canadian boat, and you'll still see a difference.

People who don't understand what I'm talking about, just don't understand the Canadian marketplace. It doesn't matter whether it's a boat, or pretty-much anything else.

A $1,000 Home Depot snowblower, bought at Home Depot in Canada is $1,400. Don't believe it? Try living here.

Nomad
Old 08-07-2011, 19:59   #42

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
"stealing" a boat is a good thing-- they are just jealous. goood luck......
He sounds like a very frustrated boat shopper ... what's to be jealous of?
Old 08-07-2011, 20:05   #43

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Fortunately, I was able to acquire a boat someone hadn't already used up.
Old 08-07-2011, 20:05   #44

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
I'm not so sure that these "northern" boats sailed in fresh water are that much better than their southern, salty sisters.

Yes, they are less exposed to salt water corrosion, but other than steel construction, most boats are designed to withstand the salt pretty well. Any timber exposed to water is actually better off in salt water... less likely to get rot problems. S/s rigging likely lasts longer in fresh water and cold climates, but then spars are often damaged by poor handling and storage when they are removed every year and laid up. Then too, being exposed to freezing, thawing, freezing cycles has damaged many a boat. Several recent examples have been aired here on CF. Further, boats are happier floating than when supported by a few Acro props and the rest of the weight on the keel. And so on...

I don't pretend to know how it balances out, but I resist the temptation to make blanket statements that one sort is better than the other, especially when a large price differential is supported by those statements.

All boils down to having to evaluate each boat as an individual, and as we all know, that is a difficult job, even for the alleged experts!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-07-2011, 20:19   #45
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Cal 2-30 1968 $3,000 (OBO)

we have been watching the price fall on this very nice boat...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote