Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 16:53   #1

Storm-Damaged Florida Boats

I'm new to Cruisers forum and am looking to by a boat. I see alot for sale in Fla. but have no idea as to there condition. Of course I will get a survey, but has anyone seen or heard of a problem with storm damaged boats coming out of this area? Surveys don't catch everything. Thanks
Movinaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 18:17   #2

Movin, storm damaged boats are always a possibility anywhere there has been a hurricane come through. Some have been repaired properly, some have been repaired improperly, some have not been repaired, you have to look at each boat individually, whether it has been damaged or not. There are good boats out there and sometimes they are easy to find, and sometimes it takes a while to find one.
Don't rely too heavily on photos on the listing spec sheet, they may look good but sometimes don't tell the whole picture, and sometimes they are old. It's best to walk through the boats yourself, and look everywhere....and if it looks good to you, then it may be the right one to make and offer on and if accepted, have a survey done.
The bottom line is that if the boat was damaged and has been repaired properly, it should be hard to tell that it has been repaired, and it will be as strong or stronger than original.
Even if the boat has not been storm damaged, it can be a POS that hasn't been maintained (it's not just storm damaged boats that can be a problem).
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 18:19   #3

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Welcome to Cruisers Forum,

Any boat anywhere should be looked at as though it was broken up on a reef at some point in it's history...

That being true, I think the high numbers of boats for sale in FL probably has a lot to do with the high numbers of boats in FL. I can say here in the panhandle, while there are some 'storm damaged' boats still out there, many have been sorted out and either scrapped or repaired.

A repair is nothing to be afraid of, as long as it was done properly. Often boats are upgraded, and have better then original interiors or hardware.

I would first figure out what you are really going to be doing with the boat... and buy the boat that suits what you are going to do 90% of the time. There are some killer deals right now, I see some on Ebay (while I don't shop much since I am happy with what I have). I do see lots of great deals on Craig's list... I look in my area and the neighboring ones.

It is a great time to be shopping for a boat.

Where do you hale from?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 18:21   #4

Thumbs up Oh yea... and...

I was typing my post when Brian posted above. I agree with what he said, good counsel.
Old 07-05-2009, 18:41   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
A lot of boats to be had in Florida. Boats from any location can have problems. Learn as much as you can as you go into your search. I find making a check-list of things to look at helps keep me objective as I look.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 20:40   #6

OBTW, this Boat Buying Checklist may be helpful for you doing your search.

Tags
florida